Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Chicago Apple Store render shows heavy use of glass, thin roof

Chicago Apple Store render shows heavy use of glass, thin roof
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Nov 19, 2015, 11:04 AM

Chicago's upcoming Apple Store will be influenced by "prairie style" homes constructed by architect Frank Lloyd Wright in its external design, according to a recent publication of the company's plans. Using large amounts of glass for its entrance, the storefront will measure 14 feet high and will have a thin roof reinforced with carbon fiber held up by concrete columns, with the entranceway overlooking the nearby Chicago River.

Shown in images supplied to the Chicago Tribune, the store will include flights of stairs that take visitors from street level to the walkway, as well as an elevator to access the main store area itself underground. The store itself will be 20,000 square feet in size, replacing a vacant food court at the 401 North Michigan Avenue office building, and is speculated to help the local economy by increasing visitor numbers in the area.

Designed by Foster + Partners, the same team behind the London Regent Street Apple Store and the 'Spaceship' Campus 2, the store plans have already been approved by the Chicago Department of Planning and Development. Construction on the store is believed to commence early next year.

It is possible Apple will use this new store to replace the current North Michigan Avenue store, which has been in operation since 2003.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Nov 19, 2015 at 09:00 PM. )

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2015, 02:54 PM

You've touched on what I hate about Apple stores—they're too brightly lit. When I'm shopping for a computer or tablet, I want a store that's lit more like my home or office not a surgery.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

Flying Meat
Senior User
Nov 19, 2015, 04:01 PM

Did they forget that Chicago has actual winters?
Looks like it'll be chilly in there!

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2015, 06:46 PM

"flights of stares"

That's my main concern entering an Apple Store -- judgmental stares from flights of bystanders!

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2015, 09:00 PM

DcQ: yeah, it's tough to make people understand that spell-check isn't the end-all. In this case, though, I think the writer (not myself) of this article just had a momentary brain lapse. I've fixed it, thanks for pointing it out.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2015, 03:35 PM

Absolutely, I do it all the time.

Just trying to make light of a funny typo rather than go into full grammar Nazi mode like commenters frequently are wont to do

Forum Links
Forum Rules