Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Bbc Most Powerful = Gates

Bbc Most Powerful = Gates
Riddler
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 06:33 PM

It was a great show, the result was always going to be Gates but it presented very balanced arguments and I felt overall showed Jobs in a much better light than Gates.

Best moment... Woz whizzing about on his Segway LOL

What did everyne else think?
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

Sealobo
Dec 4, 2003, 06:40 PM

Riddler  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 06:43 PM

I figured that thread was discussing if someone would record the show... but yes lets have one big messy thread about both the content of the show and if someone can get a torrent up for it
Riddler

MacmanUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2003, 06:44 PM

Hi Riddler
Not surprised by the result really, but Steve is easily winning on the BBC website followup article:
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/progr....stm?display=1

Just found Alvin his usual annoying self; too much time taken up with his whinnying!
tiBook 15" 1Ghz/1Gb/10.3.6
imac 800 17"/768Mb/10.3.6

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 06:51 PM

Quite a good documentary. After reading the BBC site, didn't realise that Steve Jobs real dad was an Egyptian Arab, and his biological sister is the novelist Mona Simpson.

So maybe the outburst from that Disney Exec about him being a Shiah Muslim was bang on
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2003, 06:56 PM

The idiots spelt Wozniak with a "c" on the onscreen caption.

quandarry
Dec 4, 2003, 07:00 PM

damn i missed it...that sucks!

Riddler  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 07:13 PM

I was just glad it was not completely "the sun shines out of Bills ass"

I also have to agree with Alvin's conclusion, although Steve and Apple drive the industry with innovation Bill and Microsoft are the most powerful business force in the world, not just because of their sheer financial/political weight but also because of Bills ruthlessness.

Todays FAT file system licensing fee's are a great example of just how cunning MS and Bill are.
Riddler

t_hah
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2003, 07:15 PM

Don't forget to vote on this site:
http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/progr....stm?display=1

t

:XI:
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 09:09 AM

I liked watching bill squirm in his video deposition (is that the right word? i've only had one coffee so far...)

"I have no idea what you mean when you say 'ask'" I guess he really does think everyone's stupid.

I wanted interviews with Bill and Steve. I want them head to head arguing over the computer industry. That would be fun to watch. Steve throwing things and Bill cowering in the corner.

I notice they didn't even mention NeXT.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by :XI::
I wanted interviews with Bill and Steve. I want them head to head arguing over the computer industry. That would be fun to watch. Steve throwing things and Bill cowering in the corner.
The Microsoft Mactopia site used to have an old article, from around 1992, of a joint interview between Bill and Steve. It's no longer there, which is a shame. The cover shows Bill has his usual weedy self, while Jobs looks faintly ridiculous, with the skater haircut and striped jersey of a man trying to look much younger than he is. The conversation itself was amiable, even though Jobs and Gates disagreed pretty vehemently here and there. (I seem to recall one of them saying how text recognition was going to be the Next Big Thing in computers, but I can't recall which of them said it.)
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Forum Links
Forum Rules