Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > More reasons to hate the south?

More reasons to hate the south? (Page 2)
Kevin
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 12:56 PM

I don't think Rob sees how his generalisms makes him the person he is ranting about in this thread.

"You know the man you hate, you look more like him every day"

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
So you're saying you support the Milwaukee Police Department and it's actions? And I don't hate the American auto industry, I hate GM. I rather like ford's european models, and the contour SVT, and a few other models. Dodge....oh man, I used to love dodge, but lately they've really been dropping the ball. And sorry, hating religion is a good thing. I'm not going to get into it, because anybody who doesn't hate religion is already brainwashed and mentioning that ONLY RELIGION can be responsible for things like the crusades, the middle east, and millions and millions of deaths fought by people who believed 'their' god was right will not change brainwashed zombies into rational people.

But yep. Religion haters= pitiful people. Especially that Thomas Jefferson fellow.

"And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter."
- Thomas Jefferson
By the same token I could say that you are brainwashed by hating religion.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 01:07 PM

"And the day will come, when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His Father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva, in the brain of Jupiter."
- Thomas Jefferson
Nothing he said was anything new Rob. I'll show you were he got it from.

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.
21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

Says the same thing basically.

BTW Rob, he wasn't belittling Christianity there. He was basically saying one day people will treat it as such. Something the Bible says itself.

You took it out of context.

tsk tsk.
( Last edited by Kevin; Mar 10, 2007 at 01:53 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Mar 10, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
We're happy and you're angry. Who is better off?
Succinctly and well stated!

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
Some generalizations I have made as a life-long Northerner who deals with people from the mid-South daily:
- Less tolerance for people who fit outside their mold
- Always are polite and nice to your face and then stab you in the back with a seething vengeance
- Have an almost slave/master relationship with their employers
I grew up in the "new south" but I've lived in the "old south" (Charleston, SC) for a decade now and I can see your points though I would tend to put them in gentler terms.
- "Less tolerance" is probably true but it varies a lot on the city(s) in question depending on how large they are and how much people traffic they encounter from the rest of the world (e.g. port towns, college towns, and vacation towns tend to be pretty darn tolerant) There is a an overwhelming "politeness" here that includes not doing anything to offend/bother/annoy other people but also includes not liking when people offend/bother/annoy you. "Standing out" is not usually a good thing and is seen as a sign of arrogance, self-centeredness, and/or materialism. Why would you pierce your lip, dye your hair black and spike it up, wear a T-shirt with dirty words on it except for ego-mania ... wanting everyone to look at you ?

- "Always polite and nice to your face and then stab you in the back with a seething vengeance". I can see that one too. The southern ethos is to not be threatening, rude, or argumentative. I'm a property manager for vacation rental company that serves clientele that is about 30% southern, 30% midwestern, 30% northeastern and 10% other/foreign. I can tell you exactly how southerners differ when there is a conflict.
Northerner: will scream and yell childishly over problems that occur with their place (even minor ones), threaten lawsuits, make a scene, demand outrageous amounts of compensation. In the end, something approaching 99% of the threats ended up being hot air and all that bluster was really just bargaining material to strike a deal somewhere in the middle.
Southerner: will never complain about minor things. If a major thing occurs, they complain quietly but firmly (more often than northerners, they will want to meet you personally in your office or where they are staying, shake you hand, establish a "gentleman's" bond). If you offer them some sort of compensation for their trouble, they will either accept it and everyone walks away as friends (and you start talking about sports or your kids or whatever). Or, If the offer is not acceptable, they won't argue with you much ... if they feel slighted, the next warning you get will be the letter that arrives on your bosses desk or an actual lawsuit.

Again, this goes back to the politeness thing. A southerner will just DO something without predicating with a flood of threatening behavior or argument which is really just bad manners ... catches you off guard sometimes. Northerners seem to like to negotiate ... they come barrels-blazing and mouth-a-running but its usually just to establish positions and hash out a compromise through discussion/argument. The northern approach is nice because things get laid out on the table, get sorted through, and get resolved quickly. The southern approach is nice because 99% of the time things get resolved as both parties will have a common set of rules of appropriate behavior and can reach an agreement based on them. Nobody loses their cool, everyone are friends when its over. The other 1% of the time is when it gets scary because you really have no idea what they are going to do .... they haven't threatened to do anything, it just gets plopped down on you much to your surprise.

Both ways of doing things seem to work fine as long as both sides of a discussion are on the same page as far as what rules are being played by. When the two ways of doing things cross is when both sides end up scratching their heads wondering why the other side is being so crass or so elusive.
Originally Posted by screamingFit View Post
When asked what Southerners think of Northerners, her reply is that they all think that we are, "Godless, selfish and stuck-up".
I would agree that this is probably the view but would substitute "immoral" for "Godless" as its more about breaking a some code chivalry/genteel behavior vs. necessarily breaking God's law.

marden
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
I grew up in the "new south" but I've lived in the "old south" (Charleston, SC) for a decade now and I can see your points though I would tend to put them in gentler terms.
- "Less tolerance" is probably true but it varies a lot on the city(s) in question depending on how large they are and how much people traffic they encounter from the rest of the world (e.g. port towns, college towns, and vacation towns tend to be pretty darn tolerant) There is a an overwhelming "politeness" here that includes not doing anything to offend/bother/annoy other people but also includes not liking when people offend/bother/annoy you. "Standing out" is not usually a good thing and is seen as a sign of arrogance, self-centeredness, and/or materialism. Why would you pierce your lip, dye your hair black and spike it up, wear a T-shirt with dirty words on it except for ego-mania ... wanting everyone to look at you ?

- "Always polite and nice to your face and then stab you in the back with a seething vengeance". I can see that one too. The southern ethos is to not be threatening, rude, or argumentative. I'm a property manager for vacation rental company that serves clientele that is about 30% southern, 30% midwestern, 30% northeastern and 10% other/foreign. I can tell you exactly how southerners differ when there is a conflict.
Northerner: will scream and yell childishly over problems that occur with their place (even minor ones), threaten lawsuits, make a scene, demand outrageous amounts of compensation. In the end, something approaching 99% of the threats ended up being hot air and all that bluster was really just bargaining material to strike a deal somewhere in the middle.
Southerner: will never complain about minor things. If a major thing occurs, they complain quietly but firmly (more often than northerners, they will want to meet you personally in your office or where they are staying, shake you hand, establish a "gentleman's" bond). If you offer them some sort of compensation for their trouble, they will either accept it and everyone walks away as friends (and you start talking about sports or your kids or whatever). Or, If the offer is not acceptable, they won't argue with you much ... if they feel slighted, the next warning you get will be the letter that arrives on your bosses desk or an actual lawsuit.

Again, this goes back to the politeness thing. A southerner will just DO something without predicating with a flood of threatening behavior or argument which is really just bad manners ... catches you off guard sometimes. Northerners seem to like to negotiate ... they come barrels-blazing and mouth-a-running but its usually just to establish positions and hash out a compromise through discussion/argument. The northern approach is nice because things get laid out on the table, get sorted through, and get resolved quickly. The southern approach is nice because 99% of the time things get resolved as both parties will have a common set of rules of appropriate behavior and can reach an agreement based on them. Nobody loses their cool, everyone are friends when its over. The other 1% of the time is when it gets scary because you really have no idea what they are going to do .... they haven't threatened to do anything, it just gets plopped down on you much to your surprise.

Both ways of doing things seem to work fine as long as both sides of a discussion are on the same page as far as what rules are being played by. When the two ways of doing things cross is when both sides end up scratching their heads wondering why the other side is being so crass or so elusive.

I would agree that this is probably the view but would substitute "immoral" for "Godless" as its more about breaking a some code chivalry/genteel behavior vs. necessarily breaking God's law.
This could serve as the basis of an In-Flight magazine article to help natives of one geography better deal with people from the other. Very informative! Very easy to read and understand!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2007, 01:57 PM

No, I hate people for abandoning personal responsibility and believing 'god' will help them instead of they will help themselves, thus remaining ignorant, unskilled, and poor their entire lives without doing anything about it, because they're relying on god to save them from their own poor choices.
Uh…yeah, Protestants aren't known for their work ethic, are they?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2007, 02:03 PM

You said you were thinking about getting a mac, and then someone told you windows was not included, and you then responded saying you'd get a PC since you have a game you play a lot that's only available for the PC.

I told you that you made a good decision, becuase it would be stupid to get a mac if one game is the deciding factor between the two, because you obviously don't grasp any of the advantages of owning a mac. What does this have to do with anything? Oh. Nothing. Now go run along and get a blue screen of death.

I own Macs and a Pc. I just don't understand the concept of the whole Intel and Mac yet.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 10, 2007, 02:09 PM

No, I hate people for abandoning personal responsibility and believing 'god' will help them instead of they will help themselves, thus remaining ignorant, unskilled, and poor their entire lives without doing anything about it, because they're relying on god to save them from their own poor choices.
I don't hate these people cash, but I too am annoyed by them. This lifestyle has little to do with what Christianity teaches, and more to do with them just being lazy and looking for an out.

And you don't have to believe in Jesus to be like this.

This isn't a southern or religious thing. It's a human condition that happens everywhere.

You are just being naive about it. Maybe on purpose because you think it fits your narrow minded view of the south.

But that is ok Rob, you are still young and have lots to experience in life.

So do most of us here. Including me.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 12:37 AM

Rob, you never fail to show everyone the level of class, intelligence, and character you have. The whole world revolves around you, doesn't it? Wow!

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 13, 2007, 12:40 AM

I'm not saying anything that the mapping/statistic website doesn't show in pictures. The south= generally craptastic. If you disagree with me, have fun watching nascar, drinking cheap beer, and beating your wife when your football team loses.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 12:55 AM

Whoosh!

tutelary
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2007, 01:09 AM

I'm not saying anything that the mapping/statistic website doesn't show in pictures. The south= generally craptastic. If you disagree with me, have fun watching nascar, drinking cheap beer, and beating your wife when your football team loses.
vs getting online and throwing cowardly insults at people you don't really know. classy.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 13, 2007, 01:28 AM

I wasn't insulting anybody, I was pointing out that my generalizations about an entire region were completley confirmed thanks to that website.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 01:55 AM

I wasn't insulting anybody, I was pointing out that my generalizations about an entire region were completley confirmed thanks to that website.
Is an insult defined by its intent or how it's taken?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 06:29 AM

Can you show me how to use that site? I'm having trouble with the sports preference overlay. Also, the beer preference and spousal abuse portions don't show up. Should I clear my browser's cache?

Oh, and, well, Florida (south) kicked Ohio State's (north) ass in football.

Kevin
Baninated
Mar 13, 2007, 06:35 AM

No, no they weren't. Your generalizations took data and projected thoughts and beliefs that it didn't profess.

Again you are acting like the very people you are attempting to make fun of Rob. Don't you see that?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 07:43 AM

See, the thing about TEH SOUTH that I like is, is that when growing up, we generally beat kids like you to a pulp once or twice a week. When the kid(s) got old enough to leave town, they usually headed for San Fran or NY or some other coast.

Point being, we weed out as many asshats as possible while they're young. This is why we're knows for our hospitality down here: we've ran-off idiots like yourself.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 13, 2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
See, the thing about TEH SOUTH that I like is, is that when growing up, we generally beat kids like you to a pulp once or twice a week. When the kid(s) got old enough to leave town, they usually headed for San Fran or NY or some other coast.

Point being, we weed out as many asshats as possible while they're young. This is why we're knows for our hospitality down here: we've ran-off idiots like yourself.
Way to counter stereotypes there! Poor form, RAILhead, poor form. This kind of statement is exactly why the media portray people from the South as being jerks and imbeciles.

I lived in Biloxi, MS for ten years, and saw a part of the Old South that I had never imagined while growing up in the Midwest. There were indeed ignorant and poor people there, people who felt happy about drinking cheap beer and getting into fights as a form of recreation. But there is a whole lot more. There is culture and history (beyond what the Midwest sees as "Southern history") and art and the great outdoors-without any need for beer or loud, fast cars. But when we allow the media to paint all of the South with the same "Jeff Foxworthy is talking about EVERYBODY here" brush, and then follow up by portraying the ugly stereotypes he holds up as exceptions (they wouldn't be funny to us if they were actually typical), then we reinforce that ugly impression.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 08:24 AM

Looks like I missed some fun last night.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 09:18 AM

How dare you leave us for something resembling a real life.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
How dare you leave us for something resembling a real life.
Resembles is the most appropriate term you could have used.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Resembles is the most appropriate term you could have used.
I know how it goes.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
I know how it goes.
You should, you were stalking me all last night.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 10:16 AM

You should, you were stalking me all last night.
Supper looked good, wish I could have had some too.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 10:22 AM

It's called dinner.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2007, 10:30 AM

It's called dinner.
Amen to that.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 13, 2007, 10:47 AM

Oh, by using violence on a regular basis. Thank you again for confirming even more stereotypes about the south. What a craphole. Weird. It didn't get filtered. Editing.
( Last edited by centerchannel68; Mar 13, 2007 at 10:57 AM. )

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2007, 10:56 AM

Why do we feed the robtroll? After all these years?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Way to counter stereotypes there! Poor form, RAILhead, poor form. This kind of statement is exactly why the media portray people from the South as being jerks and imbeciles.

I lived in Biloxi, MS for ten years, and saw a part of the Old South that I had never imagined while growing up in the Midwest. There were indeed ignorant and poor people there, people who felt happy about drinking cheap beer and getting into fights as a form of recreation. But there is a whole lot more. There is culture and history (beyond what the Midwest sees as "Southern history") and art and the great outdoors-without any need for beer or loud, fast cars. But when we allow the media to paint all of the South with the same "Jeff Foxworthy is talking about EVERYBODY here" brush, and then follow up by portraying the ugly stereotypes he holds up as exceptions (they wouldn't be funny to us if they were actually typical), then we reinforce that ugly impression.
I wasn't being totally honest. No matter what anyone from TEH SOUTH says, Rob will think he's KING OF TEH WURLD, so I have no illusion of breaking his SOUTHERN stereotype.

But yeah, people that popped off like Rob does on these boards didn't pop off for too long when I was growing up. Of course, most people like Rob don't have the nads to say the idiot things he says here to someone's face, so there you have it.

Basically, my stereotype that Rob's a jackass still holds true.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 11:21 AM

Oh, by using violence on a regular basis. Thank you again for confirming even more stereotypes about the south. What a craphole. Weird. It didn't get filtered. Editing.
Not on a regular basis, no: when we were 14-15 and someone like you popped off and made an arse of themselves, it usually only took one rough-up to teach a lesson.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 13, 2007, 11:23 AM

Hrm. Keep it up.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 13, 2007, 11:28 AM

Not on a regular basis, no: when we were 14-15 and someone like you popped off and made an arse of themselves, it usually only took one rough-up to teach a lesson.
Maybe that's why the south sucks, right there. Anybody who's different than the general masses gets beaten to a pulp on a regular basis, until they start to conform to the ignorance and laziness that is the general south. I can see it now:

"But I'm good at math!"

"Yah Tim, but yous makiing all of us good ole boys look bad u ****ing dork. It's time for an ass whoopin! Woo wee! Let's get 'em boys! Yee hawwwwww"

"But you guys, dont you remember your bible teachin's? It said you's sposed to accept my differences"

"Shore thang Timmy, but we's dont follow the Lord's word, we just use it as an excuse to beat up niggers and fagguts like you! Time for an ass whoopin boys! Woooooo weeee!"

I wish you people would just secede and join Mexico.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 11:32 AM

"you people" ????

Next time it's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it for everyone. How ironic that you call an entire region ignorant based on it's geographic location while you yourself demonstrate the definition of ignorance.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2007, 11:40 AM

Time to lock the thread, although I'm sure Marden will contend that Rob was bold and brilliant to break out the n word.

centerchannel68  (op)
Baninated
Mar 13, 2007, 11:41 AM

Yeah, you people. Check the map, jack. There's a clear line of where this country starts to suck, in almost any category. I'm speaking in generalizations.... but so far it's only been confirmed.

"You talk like dat we'd beat cho ass in 'round these parts"

Lovely.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2007, 11:44 AM

Who said anything about being different? Being an arsehole is "different"? I thought being a asshat was being an asshat? You could be as different as you wanted, but you couldn't be an asshat for too long.

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 13, 2007, 01:01 PM

this thread just goes to prove that you can never have enough generalizations and venomous conversation. hooray!

Forum Links
Forum Rules