Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Surround sound using Bose Companion 5

Surround sound using Bose Companion 5
Kenrick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 22, 2007, 06:38 PM

I am new to Macs having bought my 24" iMac two weeks ago. I have a set of Bose Companion 5 speakers that connect to my Mac by USB. The instructions state that I must go into Audio Midi Setup change the settings for Bose USB audio and the click on the configure speakers and chnge the setup to multichannel and click on apply.
So far so good. The problem is that if I exit the setup and then I go back in, the speaker configuration has reset to stereo!
Can anyone help
Thanks
Kenrick

tutelary
Forum Regular
Apr 22, 2007, 11:08 PM

Your speakers are 2.1, aka, stereo. Regardless of how much you really want to believe they are giving you a multichannel experience, they aren't. Don't try to force what can't be.

cms
Senior User
Apr 23, 2007, 03:03 AM

I have these speakers. As tutelary correctly points out, they are dual channel only. Afterall, there are only 2 actual speakers and a subwoofer, not the usual array of satellite speakers you would expect to see in a true surround sound setup. Bose claims it has created a surround sound experience without the additional speakers, etc. Whether it has or not is a moot point. If you click on "configure speakers" and test them in the multichannel panel with 5.1 enabled in the dropdown menu, you will get a sense of surround sound from each individual "speaker". For example, the centre speaker really does sound as though it's coming right from the centre of your monitor, which of course it can't be, as there is no speaker actually there....

I upgraded to these from the previous Companion 3 speakers and I have to say that they are pretty good. Like most of these things, they don't stand up to heavy audiophile scrutiny but do the job very nicely indeed and are eminently listenable -- unlike some of the so-called high quality computer audio systems I have heard.

Forum Links
Forum Rules