Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How to increase memory without adding RAM ?

How to increase memory without adding RAM ?
ethan79
Dec 12, 2000, 06:34 PM

Hi everybody, I am living in an environment where everyone i know is using windows so i do not have any one to seek help from. I have been a windows user for donkey years and have just bought the ibook 466 SE. Took me few days to get the hang of using it and lots of time to look for avenues to post my problem.

I like to open up all the applications i am using instead of opening and closing each time i need them. However because of the multiple opening of application/programs, there is always a problem of lack of memory. I am always prompted that there is insufficient memory. I only have 64MB, is there any way to increase the memory using the memory settings to allow me to run all the programs simultaneously before i get some more RAMs to boost up my ibook ?

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2000, 06:52 PM

You could turn the Virtual Memory up, but you loose precious hard drive space. I would suggest you look at http://www.memorytogo.com/ . They have 128Mb of Ram for 48$. Please tell me you can afford that. Hell I'm a poor student too, but that's just unbelieveable.

Hope this helps.
It's just my humble opinion.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2000, 08:39 PM

If buying RAM isn't an option, use the MacOS's built-in Virtual Memory. Go to the Apple menu (top left of the screen), go to control panels, and open "Memory." From there, you can turn on virtual memory ("VM"). What VM does is it uses hard drive space (however much you designate) like it was RAM. Note that this will slow things down a bit since the hard drive will essentially be working double time. Normally, setting VM to 1MB more than the real RAM you have is supposed to yield the best results (65 in your case), but increasing it to about 128MB will let you leave lots of stuff open. Just experiment a little to see what works best for you. Remember that you must restart the computer for any changes in your VM settings to take effect. Also, you'll have that much less space on your hard drive available for storage. Another option is RAM Doubler by Connectix. This works about the same as VM, but is supposed to be faster/ better. However, for just a little more you could probable pick up some real RAM (go to www.ramseeker.com for a good price tracker). Oh, if you have ANY other mac/apple/iBook/miscellaneous questions, this is the place to be for timely, accurate answers. No web site I've seen can beat these forums (or fora, for you grammar sticklers out there ). Good luck with your iBook!

ethan79  (op)
Dec 12, 2000, 10:27 PM

Well ... i am thankful for the reply ... i have set the virtual memory to on .. and dun seem to be of much use ... but i have not tried increasing the virtual memory to 128 ... i will gif it a try ... thanks for uR suggestions. Well ... i am not living in the states .. and will take a long time for the shipping of the RAM and the prices over here are higher. I will have to upgrade my RAM by adding the extension but i am intending to save up for the 256 .. becoz since want to upgrade might as well do it once and for all ...

Thank you both for helping out ...
will get back to the two of you when trouble starts brewing again. )

Cipher13
Dec 13, 2000, 02:48 AM

You won't notice a difference really without turning the virtual memory up, seeing as with only 64 megs of RAM the MacOS is using very little as it is.
I suggest setting your VM to around 150 megs.
Personally I have 128 and its set at 230.

Cipher13

ethan79  (op)
Dec 14, 2000, 05:05 AM

Well ... good news gentleman ... i just crashed my ibook .. and itz only for 3 days ... think i am too anxious to build up my ibook ... been installing alot of updates on the ibook ...

Think the problem started right after i installed and run the updater for Mac OS 9.0.4. the computer hang and could not start ..
the start screen appears a Question Mark and the icon blinking non-stop
and could not boot ...
Ermm .. what does this mean ...

So i resorted to using the help disk ... coz i read before on the forum than it can be used to restore.

However, when i used the MAC software install, the problem is not solved.
Until when i used the Mac Software restore then the problem is solved.
Can anyone tell me ... what is the use and difference of the two disk ?

iPaul UK
Senior User
Dec 14, 2000, 08:50 AM

Ethan, I don't quite understand what you have done. All the new iBooks that are equiped with a FireWire port (This includes your iBook 466se) came with OS 9.0.4 from the factory. So exactly what Mac OS 9.0.4 updater have you been trying to install?

Anyway, you may possibly have corrupted the driver for your hard disc. Boot up from one of your CD's and launch Apple's drive set up program. And see if you can re-install the driver from there. It might solve your problem.

You would also be wise to invest in a program such as Norton Utilities or Tech Tool Pro. Programs like these are worth their weight in gold!

ethan79  (op)
Dec 14, 2000, 09:08 AM

Ipaul ...thanks for uR advice on acquring norton utilities or tech tool pro... well will try to visit the shops one of these days to purchase one... or is there any freeware online ?

Well .. i am not very sure myself what kind of update it is ...
i think it is some updater for the OS 9.0.4 ....
well do not try any if you happen to come across any ...

well.... i used the software restore CD ...
the ibook is up and running but the settings are slightly different ...
the programs are able to run... but i do not know how to make the necessary preferences.
Just like i have the " browse the internet " icon on the desktop, but i cannot click on it and browse the net like before because the setup is not set up properly. I can only click onto the I.E icon instead to surf.

Well ... i am really experimenting how to use Machintosh.
Guess i will have lots of problems to post and need all your help to pull through the problems i will be facing.

Thanks

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2000, 07:48 PM

To get the "browse the internet" working, go to the "Internet" control panel and select the default browser you want (IE in your case). Then, whenever you open or double click something that will send you to a web page, that browser will automatically be opened to view it.

ethan79  (op)
Dec 15, 2000, 09:28 AM

Hi Supahcoolx ..... i did as u mention. went to the control panels and click on the internet , but i saw the preferences on the default browser was already set on I.E already....

Well ... i copied the msg that appears whenever i click on " browse the internet " .... think this should give u a clearer picture of the problem i am having.

The Help Application wasn't found.
That kind of address is missing from your internet preferences, or its helper application is missing. ( Use internet Config to set helper applications )

... the above paragraph is the instructions prompted by the computer
thank you for helping out ... )

Peter Pan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2000, 06:56 PM

Hey everyone,

don't you think this thread is a bit odd?

ethan79 claims to have a new iBook SE/466, those definitely come with 128 Mb of RAM and not only 64 MB and by default they have definitely System 9.0.4 installed, so the Updater for 9.0.4 wouldn't have started at all.

Kind 'a funny to me.

ethan79  (op)
Dec 20, 2000, 06:44 AM

hi peter

... mine is the ibook 466 graphite SE ( firewire ) ....
i have no idea whether it should be 64 mb or 128 mb or RAM ...
well i checked mine and it shows only 64 mb RAM ...

Well ... regarding the updater i tried the other time ...
i was surfing for softwares and then i happen to come across something which said is suppose to fix bugs on OS 9.0.4 ..
and then i tried to download and run becoz my ibook comes with OS 9.0.4 ..... thought the downloaded file is a patch for my OS ...

then the trouble starts to brew ... hope u can get a clearer picture ...
really helpless over at my place when no one uses machintosh and have no one to turn to for advice. )

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 20, 2000, 06:21 PM

Peter Pan, both iBooks (regular and SE) come with 64MB RAM standard.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2000, 08:34 PM

You can turn to us!

Get more RAM. It's cheap. I swear, it's cheap. It won't be this cheap for long, as the manufacturer's cost is higher than what they're selling RAM for these days.

Unless you're really poor, get the RAM or think of yourself as a fool!

Peter Pan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 20, 2000, 08:38 PM

OK,
sorry on my little suspicion to everybody. I did not mean to insult anyone.
And I also wasn't aware that really all iBooks come with only 64 MB of RAM.

Please accept my apology.
Peter Pan

ethan79  (op)
Dec 21, 2000, 09:39 AM

peter ... there is no need for apologies ..
because we are all learning ... )

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2000, 09:41 AM

One great memory saver if you like to keep your browser open is *switch to iCab*. See the Internet Software forum for links and reactions.
It's supposed to be a beta, but it crashes me almost NEVER (unlike IE 5) and uses 30-40% of the memory.
Besides, it's great to support what these "little guys" are doing against the likes of IE (with all Microsoft's resources) and Netscape (now owned by AOL).
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2000, 05:29 PM

If you must buy a utility, Disk Warrior is a #1 - and learn to backup (firewire disk drive maybe). Run Disk First Aid if you crash. Give iCab a go. Don't install what you don't understand or know. Conflict Catcher 8 is helpful for controlling and seeing what is installed into your system folder.

If you restore in place replaces the basic system - sort of like what Windows would do.

You can't benefit w/o performance hit from using VM to "add" memory until you have memory - catch-22, 64MB is only enough for running one app. If you had 256MB then you could set VM to 320MB or such and might be okay. but it slows your computer.

There are one or two excellent books to help understand using and troubleshooting the Mac, or using OS 9. I'd say look at what a search on Amazon.com but there are only 3 or 4 that are tops and current.

Greg

ethan79  (op)
Dec 23, 2000, 06:26 PM

Thanks Greg ... think i really need to get the books ...
as i am totally mac ignorant ... dun even understand the things and language u all are using ... so guess i better get it in the next few days to get a better understanding of the running of the machintosh system.

thank you

Forum Links
Forum Rules