Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > "Slow" F12 Key

"Slow" F12 Key
Peter Pan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2001, 01:37 PM

I'm really having problems with the F12 Key to open the CD-ROM drive on my iBook. Sometimes i won't react to all, often it only works when I press F12 while being in the Finder.
After I press it it takes 3-6 seconds before the drive actually opens. Most times I can't do anything during that period, since the iBook kind of freezes.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Anyone else having the same problem?

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2001, 01:53 PM

Yeah, this is a strange problem. But you're not alone...this happens on all the new iBooks. I've found that the fastest way to open the tray is to choose Eject in the CD Control Strip Module (it's just got the icon of a CD). That opens it instantly. Granted, it isn't quite as easy as just hitting a keyboard button, but it's faster.
Apple user since 1987

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 8, 2001, 05:46 AM

I actually use F12 to open the drive only 50% of the time. Since my right hand is on a mouse or on a trackpad, I find it awkward to reach across the keyboard with another hand.

Rather I use command-E to eject a disk.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

tsubasako
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2001, 03:09 AM

Sometimes it seems to work faster if I push it once and then hold it down. I could just be imagining it though. Anyway, throwing it away or using command-e or the cd strip are all probably better options, or using the eject button in iTunes or whatever cd program you use.

whodisbe
Jul 10, 2001, 12:17 AM

I have the same prob. But haven't mac's always done this? I've always wondered, why don't they just have a button on the CD/DVD drive itself?

PowerBookDude
Jul 14, 2001, 05:43 PM

On my iBook Combo Drive it takes a couple of seconds on holding down the F12 key to have it open, which I like. But that only happens in OS 9. In OS X it opens right away, which I don't like.

Forum Links
Forum Rules