Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari - Plugin: Something is BUGGY in this new Snow Leopard.

Safari - Plugin: Something is BUGGY in this new Snow Leopard.
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2009, 07:26 AM

Visiting ESPN is causing me a lot of grief lately. Yesterday, the site loads fine and i can watch videos. But today and ever since one of the video's on the ESPN site stopped playing because of a plugin related crash, i'm now i can't even load the site without getting the beachball of death.

I thought SL was suppose to isolate plugin related crashes?

I"m running the latest OS on a 1 year old Mac. Everything is up to date.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 08:23 AM

"latest OS" = 10.6.1?

That supposedly updated the Flash Player to a halfway-current version, but I'd still try to reinstall it if it's causing you grief: www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2009, 09:22 AM

Not only am i running 10.6.1, i also reset safari and just downloaded (again) the latest flash player plug - from the link you included. Still, when i load up ESPN.com, Safari stops responding.

However, i gave my computer a simple reboot and now it works fine.

Why would resetting Safari not work, but rebooting does?

primary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2009, 09:32 AM

to get hotmail on to your ipod go on settings mail, contacts, calenders. Add accountclik on pop at the top type your name an email adress leave discription how it is. incomeing mail server host name pop3.live.com, user name is your email and the password should be there already if not it is your email password.outgoing mail server amtp, smtp.live.comleave the other 2 then clik save. If it takes you back to the screen saying mail, contacts, calender then go to main screen and clik mail and it shouldbe there.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 09:53 AM

I am also getting the rainbow beachball of death in Safari 4.0.3 in OS X 10.6.1. I have installed no plug-ins, except the usual ones like Flip4Mac and Flash, etc.

It's very, very irritating. It occurs randomly. I don't use ESPN so I cannot comment on it there.

What's worse is Force Quit slows to a crawl. It takes me often a minute before I can force quit Safari, and the whole machine runs like molasses.

I'm tempted to just run Firefox for now. In fact, I won't be updating my iMac to Snow Leopard until I no longer see this issue on my MacBook Pro. I'm glad I waited.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 13, 2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by primary View Post
to get hotmail on to your ipod go on settings mail, contacts, calenders. Add accountclik on pop at the top type your name an email adress leave discription how it is. incomeing mail server host name pop3.live.com, user name is your email and the password should be there already if not it is your email password.outgoing mail server amtp, smtp.live.comleave the other 2 then clik save. If it takes you back to the screen saying mail, contacts, calender then go to main screen and clik mail and it shouldbe there.
WTF ?

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 13, 2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
WTF ?

-t
That's just someone I and the folks who work with me will watch... Nothing to see here, citizens...go about your business.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2009, 01:37 AM

I'm running snow leopard 10.6.1 and the latest flash player from the same link from the above poster posted. I'm having the same problem.

Try it out
go to ClearStation : Welcome to ClearStation!
type aapl for its stock price
ClearStation : Details : AAPL

on the left hand side of the page it will say "learn how to read graphs" interactive education.
In both Firefox 3.5.3 and Safari 4.0.3 its not detecting flash player
Life of working on a Mississippi River Towboat
Apple 2, Apple 2e, Mac 128-k , PowerPC 6115, Imac 233, ibook 900 Mhz
Now an Aluminum 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB SDRAM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
Not only am i running 10.6.1, i also reset safari and just downloaded (again) the latest flash player plug - from the link you included. Still, when i load up ESPN.com, Safari stops responding.

However, i gave my computer a simple reboot and now it works fine.

Why would resetting Safari not work, but rebooting does?
If the problem was, say, some Flash temp file, it could work that way.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 04:03 PM

In Safari, Opera, Firefox...

Can't use bbc at all for sport. RUBBISH!

All browsers up to date. All plugins up to date and re-installed. OS X 10.5.8.

No logs in console...

No idea what to do.

go to BBC SPORT and click on a live football or something - the browser just blows a gasket!

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2009, 04:35 PM

The Flash plugin on the Mac is an abomination.
Since so many mainstream sites use Flash it is essentially killing the web experience on the Mac.

I am very sad to hear things have not gotten any better with Snow Leopard (although I'm not surprised since it is an an Adobe issue).

I will not be buying anymore Mac's in large part due to this issue...

threestain
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2009, 05:05 PM

but have just restarted and reset PRAM - all seems to be working fine.

must be a flash error somewhere...

MacTheRiverRat
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2009, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by threestain View Post
but have just restarted and reset PRAM - all seems to be working fine.

must be a flash error somewhere...
I have done everything I know to do and have made sure I'm up to date.

Another adobe bug?
Life of working on a Mississippi River Towboat
Apple 2, Apple 2e, Mac 128-k , PowerPC 6115, Imac 233, ibook 900 Mhz
Now an Aluminum 13" 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB SDRAM

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2009, 09:22 AM

Happened again. Safari Flash Player Plugin is crashing. It's just not stable.
Adobe needs to address this problem.

Always happening on ESPN for me, but that's the site i use most. it's such a common site, it must be happening to a lot of people.

I have nothing installed on my system that would cause this. Really, it's a bare bones system.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2009, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by threestain View Post
In Safari, Opera, Firefox...

Can't use bbc at all for sport. RUBBISH!

All browsers up to date. All plugins up to date and re-installed. OS X 10.5.8.

No logs in console...

No idea what to do.

go to BBC SPORT and click on a live football or something - the browser just blows a gasket!
Most of the content doesn't play outside of the UK, but you're right:

I found this video: BBC NEWS | UK | Team ends 90-game losing streak and the moment I click on it, the entire audio stream emanating from my MacBook C2D 2.0 GHz turns into complete gibberish.

(meanwhile, the video plays back just fine and the Flash plugin takes up about 50% of the 200% max CPU capacity - no hiccups, no blown gaskets; the browser stays completely responsive as the video plays in a window behind the active one.)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Eden Aurora View Post
Happened again. Safari Flash Player Plugin is crashing. It's just not stable.
Adobe needs to address this problem.

Always happening on ESPN for me, but that's the site i use most. it's such a common site, it must be happening to a lot of people.

I have nothing installed on my system that would cause this. Really, it's a bare bones system.
It *must* be related to something on your system, because it's working just fine on mine (albeit at 80% CPU for the FlashPlayer plugin).

malvolio
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2009, 01:06 AM

If you want a stable Safari that won't crash when Flash screws up, you gotta run it in 64-bit mode. In 32-bit mode, a Flash crash will still bring down the whole browser.
A good way to avoid Flash-related grief is to use it as little as possible. A handy tool to help you keep Flash to a minimum is ClickToFlash.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2009, 07:41 AM

How do i run it in 64 bit mode?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2009, 09:20 AM

In Finder, click on Safari and get info. You can change the mode there.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2009, 11:18 AM

I can only assume that it's already in 64 bit mode because the only option when i Get Info is "open in 32-bit mode".

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2009, 11:51 AM

You dön't have to assume. Open Activity Viewer and look at the kind column.

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
It *must* be related to something on your system, because it's working just fine on mine (albeit at 80% CPU for the FlashPlayer plugin).
The freezes/crashes with the Flash plugin are very random. The issue is real, but hard to pin down.
Some people have suggested that it may be related to scrolling the page while the plugin is in the process of loading.

Eden Aurora  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2009, 08:26 PM

In the activity viewer, it says Safari is running in 64-bit mode, however, i see that there is a process name "Flash Player" and it's not listed as a 64-bit application. It doesn't say it's 32-bit, but it doesn't say 64-bit either. Just lists it at "Intel". I assume that's 32? And can a 64 bit app handle a 32 bit plugin? Maybe that's the problem.

Cold Warrior
Sep 20, 2009, 08:42 PM

64-bit safari opens flash (and other plugins) in a separate 32-bit process. If (64 bit) is not indicated, it is 32.

poocat
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2009, 05:03 PM

Just for the record, I've had similar problems on ESPN. Which is a shame, because they use so much auto-load Flash that it's almost impossible to avoid.

Also, these problems don't seem to be 100% repeatable, because sometimes I have no problem. Having said that Flash is an abomination and the fact that opening a page with Flash in a background tab causes Safari to use 100% of my CPU until I activate the tab is the most maddening part of using a Mac. What is the deal at Adobe?
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Some people have suggested that it may be related to scrolling the page while the plugin is in the process of loading.
Bingo!

This has happened to me a few times, and it was always triggered by scrolling down the page.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 14, 2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I am also getting the rainbow beachball of death in Safari 4.0.3 in OS X 10.6.1. I have installed no plug-ins, except the usual ones like Flip4Mac and Flash, etc.

It's very, very irritating. It occurs randomly. I don't use ESPN so I cannot comment on it there.

What's worse is Force Quit slows to a crawl. It takes me often a minute before I can force quit Safari, and the whole machine runs like molasses.

I'm tempted to just run Firefox for now. In fact, I won't be updating my iMac to Snow Leopard until I no longer see this issue on my MacBook Pro. I'm glad I waited.
Well, this explains it.

About Performance Update 1.0

Summary
This update addresses intermittent hard drive related pauses reported by a small number of customers.

Learn how to apply the Performance Update 1.0 to an Intel-based Macintosh computer.

Products Affected
MacBook Air (Mid 2009), MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009), iMac (20-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2009), MacBook (13-inch, Early 2009), MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009), MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008), MacBook Air (Late 2008), MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2008), iMac (24-inch, Early 2009), iMac (20-inch, Early 2009), Mac mini (Early 2009)

Forum Links
Forum Rules