Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Too Sensitive Magic Trackpad?

Too Sensitive Magic Trackpad?
Yokohama
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2010, 09:42 PM

Just bought a Magic Trackpad and needs some advice, despite reading the instructions and looking at several videos. I use it with a 24" iMac and Snow Leopard. When browsing, I like to keep my fingers resting on the pad.
In some ways it seems too sensitive to my touch.
1. It will often move the main window to the center of the display and call up any open windows even from apps in the Dock. This happens when I'm not conscious of doing anything with my fingers,
2. It sometimes darkens a portion of text (yellows it, actually) for no seeming reason.
3. Tapping to open a folder doesn't work. I also need to press the pad. (Perhaps this is how it works?).
4. While writing this, I moved the cursor then pressed the pad to insert the cursor in its new position. Instead, all app windows opened. This happened frequently.
5. While I'm writing this, I used 2 fingers to scroll up the page several times but instead it opened up all active windows, including those of apps in the Dock.
6. It sometimes take me to another page when it seems I'm not actually touching the pad, though I must be. Still, it seems on these occasions to be SUPER sensitive.

Any advice from experienced users would be appreciated Thanks.

ibook_steve
Dec 21, 2010, 03:38 AM

Have you gone and checked your settings for the trackpad in System Preferences? Have you made any adjustments for scrolling and tapping?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Yokohama  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2010, 04:33 AM

Yes. I've been trying various combinations and by unchecking several boxes, it has improved things, though some of the problems still exist. Perhaps it is the nature of the beast. Would other users of the Trackpad please comment?

Forum Links
Forum Rules