Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Using iPod to store digital photos

Using iPod to store digital photos
iJeff
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2003, 04:29 AM

I really hope Apple or some developers will come up with a firmware or software to allow us to download the digital photos from the memory card of our digital camera to the iPod (through a firewire multi-card reader), and upload them automatically into iPhoto when we connect the iPod to our mac.

Imagine going to a trip with a 10/20GB iPod, you can store thousands of high resolution photos with just one memory card, and yet listen to all your favourite MP3s. It will also save us lots of money as there is no need to buy more memory cards for our digital camera (which are expensive and have lower storage capacity than our iPod). This useful feature will definitely boost the sale of iPod worldwide. I will be the first person to upgrade my existing 5GB iPod to a 20GB one immediately.

Then hopefully, Apple will launch a 2nd generation iPod with a high-resolution coloured screen to allow us to view the digital photos downloaded (with delete function for unwanted photos). It should also allow us to sync with the selected albums in iPhoto so that we can double up the iPod as a portable photo album.

xtal
Senior User
Mar 7, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by iJeff:
I really hope Apple or some developers will come up with a firmware or software to allow us to download the digital photos from the memory card of our digital camera to the iPod (through a firewire multi-card reader), and upload them automatically into iPhoto when we connect the iPod to our mac.

Imagine going to a trip with a 10/20GB iPod, you can store thousands of high resolution photos with just one memory card, and yet listen to all your favourite MP3s. It will also save us lots of money as there is no need to buy more memory cards for our digital camera (which are expensive and have lower storage capacity than our iPod). This useful feature will definitely boost the sale of iPod worldwide. I will be the first person to upgrade my existing 5GB iPod to a 20GB one immediately.

Then hopefully, Apple will launch a 2nd generation iPod with a high-resolution coloured screen to allow us to view the digital photos downloaded (with delete function for unwanted photos). It should also allow us to sync with the selected albums in iPhoto so that we can double up the iPod as a portable photo album.
I'm in total agreement except for the last paragraph. I don't need a photo viewer when I have a digital camera with an LCD. More importantly, I don't want to pay for a feature I won't need. No worries though, I'll just buy one of the first generation iPods, and you can get a second generation one, and we'll both be happy.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Vanquish
Mar 8, 2003, 09:20 AM

bring it on ! (except the built in color LCD)

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2003, 08:59 PM

Agreed - it'd be really nice to have. It's a bummer that more cameras don't have firewire connectors, though. Even the new Canon 10D SLR is only USB...adding USB to the iPod would only make it bigger, though. As would a workaround by having a slot to insert the camera's storage media directly.

Otherwise, though, I can't think of an addition to the iPod that I'd be more keen to get my hands on.

Originally posted by xtal:
I'm in total agreement except for the last paragraph. I don't need a photo viewer when I have a digital camera with an LCD. More importantly, I don't want to pay for a feature I won't need. No worries though, I'll just buy one of the first generation iPods, and you can get a second generation one, and we'll both be happy.

iJeff  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2003, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by all2ofme:
Agreed - it'd be really nice to have. It's a bummer that more cameras don't have firewire connectors, though. Even the new Canon 10D SLR is only USB...adding USB to the iPod would only make it bigger, though. As would a workaround by having a slot to insert the camera's storage media directly.

Otherwise, though, I can't think of an addition to the iPod that I'd be more keen to get my hands on.
One possible solution is to use a separate firewire multi-card reader to download the photos from the memory card (be it compact flash, sd card, smart media or memory stick) into the iPod.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2003, 08:27 AM

Yep, good idea, but it requires carrying another piece of equipment around. Smaller than a laptop, though, I'll give you that!

The fewer cables and guff the better. A bluetooth enabled iPod in my pocket and a bluetooth digital camera with some preferences set up to slurp the pictures across in 20MB (or something) lots would be great. The iPod could have a camera/music mode toggle somewhere in the preferences.

Originally posted by iJeff:
One possible solution is to use a separate firewire multi-card reader to download the photos from the memory card (be it compact flash, sd card, smart media or memory stick) into the iPod.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 10:52 AM

Wouldn't it take forever to transfer 20MB via bluetooth? I don't see why they (Apple & Pixo) couldn't allow the iPod recognize FireWire card readers. Surely, this must be forthcoming...

xtal
Senior User
Mar 10, 2003, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Wouldn't it take forever to transfer 20MB via bluetooth? I don't see why they (Apple & Pixo) couldn't allow the iPod recognize FireWire card readers. Surely, this must be forthcoming...
I would certainly agree. I wonder if Apple considered the iPod as a possible 'multi-function' device when they introduced it...

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2003, 10:14 AM

i'm not sure a card reader could run an ipod. you need a cpu and software like itunes or Finder. iPod has a limited OS - by itself it can't 'slurp' anything, and a future card reader/ipod interface would need to do all that.

lotsa speculation on the next iPod. built in wireless sounds like the way to go - for apple's new music service, or others. email reader. cell phone. built in camera. video? why not. card reader slot. sure. color lcd that recognizes handriting from a stylus. cool. ulimate pda. who knows. small.

Forum Links
Forum Rules