Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can I install OSX for powerbook on G3 Tower?

Can I install OSX for powerbook on G3 Tower?
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2003, 07:18 PM

Hi,

I have a Tibook and am looking at buying a second hand G3 B&W tower as a server. As most of the ones I've seen on Ebay come with system 8 or 9, could I install OSX from my powerbook install disk, or will it not like that.

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2003, 07:25 PM

You can, but it's illegal.

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2003, 09:59 AM

Yeah I figured it would be. However, I legally own the software, and the server box is going to cost about the same as a copy of jaguar, so I think I'll be happy to just be slightly illegal on this one.

Good to know it'll work. Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

damosan
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Freeflyer:
Yeah I figured it would be. However, I legally own the software, and the server box is going to cost about the same as a copy of jaguar, so I think I'll be happy to just be slightly illegal on this one.

Good to know it'll work. Thanks,

J.
<sigh>

Do you sorta steal things as well?

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2003, 02:40 PM

I have a really dumb question. Why is that illegal? He owns the software. Or is it single-use only? Just asking -- I have two legal copies of Jaguar myself, simply b/c I bought one for my desktop, and then bought a 12-inch PB this January. But I don't think I would have thought twice about installing Jaguar on another machine after buying one copy. Or is it the server issue?

So -- like I said, I'm just asking.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by bbales:
I have a really dumb question. Why is that illegal? He owns the software. Or is it single-use only? Just asking -- I have two legal copies of Jaguar myself, simply b/c I bought one for my desktop, and then bought a 12-inch PB this January. But I don't think I would have thought twice about installing Jaguar on another machine after buying one copy. Or is it the server issue?

So -- like I said, I'm just asking.
It's single use only. He needs to buy another copy of Jaguar to install it on an additional computer.
Vandelay Industries

chris_h
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2003, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
It's single use only. He needs to buy another copy of Jaguar to install it on an additional computer.

bartman00
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2003, 10:40 AM

Think about it.. do you think a single company with hundreds or thousands of computers could buy one copy of X and install it on all there computers legally? YOUR ON DRUGS! Why don't you call up Adobe while your at it and tell them you own one copy and have it installed on 10 machines

Bart
Powermac Sawtooth w/ 1.3ghz overclocked GigaDesigns 1ghz cpu
iBook G3-900

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by chris_h:
Why are you rolling your eyes at me?
Vandelay Industries

damosan
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2003, 04:43 PM

Why are you rolling your eyes at me?
Probably because he steals as well....

JonoG4
Senior User
Jun 10, 2003, 05:21 PM

If you guys buy a copy of OS X for every computer you install it on(or buy a multi user licence) you either have too much money or are too devoted to Apple. Oh my..it's illegal..he can't install that copy on the B&W G3. We already give Apple enough money by buying the hardware.
Mac mini 1.25/512/40
iBook 600/384/20/
iMac 233/288/4/

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by JonoG4:
If you guys buy a copy of OS X for every computer you install it on(or buy a multi user licence) you either have too much money or are too devoted to Apple. Oh my..it's illegal..he can't install that copy on the B&W G3. We already give Apple enough money by buying the hardware.
Maybe that's why they charge so much for their hardware because they are getting ripped off on the software end.

Also, I was just answering a question of why it's illegal. I don't care what you people do.
Vandelay Industries

damosan
Forum Regular
Jun 10, 2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by JonoG4:
Weak argument...

psu03bob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2003, 01:12 AM

Apple does sell 5 license family packs of Mac OS X that lets you install Mac OS X on upto 5 computers for $199. So you can be honest and save about $450.

Some (not all) license agreements will allow you to install a program on a desktop and laptop computer if you are the exclusive user of both machines.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 06:25 AM

Some people go really far in this "it's illegal" crap. I mean, do you really need to buy 2 copies for your 2 computers ? It's not that they are going to come and check if you have 2 licenses. Putting those copies on P2P networks or installing with one license when you are a company with 10+ cumputers that's something else, but for your own computers... sjeez. I would NEVER think about buying two copies of my OS (and that goed for every piece of software I buy, when It's for MY computers I buy only one copy).

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 09:59 AM

It's illegal. Period.

You don't have to put OS X on it, you can put Linux on it if you want.

I once was going to buy a new PowerBook. Called the shop and asked to leave the software in order to get a lower price. Apple isn't doing that.

There was (is?) a movement where people were sending back their copies of Windows, because they bought it with their new computers but wanted to put Linux on it. There seemed to be a sort of legal blah-blah that if you do not open the software plastic and send it back to Micro$not they had to refund you the money.

Again, it's illegal to buy one copy for more computers, you actually agree on that when you install it.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2003, 10:16 AM

You could buy a Mac OS X Family Pack or whatever it's called, which has about 5 licenses for about $199 or something.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
You could buy a Mac OS X Family Pack or whatever it's called, which has about 5 licenses for about $199 or something.
That's what psu03bob already said...

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2003, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
It's not that they are going to come and check if you have 2 licenses.
Doesn't Windows do this already? I don't think it's too far of a leap for Apple to implement something like this.

I just hope they don't.

[proud owner of 3 legit copies of jag ]

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2003, 04:32 PM

Also, I was just answering a question of why it's illegal. I don't care what you people do.
The original poster was also just asking if a Powerbook install would work on a BW G3 tower.

The piracy argument will never get anyone anywhere except heated up. I've started a response to a post in this thread then cleared it before I posted, because it won't help anything and it will get me nowhere (except the good ole [APi]TheMan.postCount++)

"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 12:53 AM

Hi,

I have a Tibook and am looking at buying a second hand G3 B&W tower as a server. As most of the ones I've seen on Ebay come with system 8 or 9, could I install OSX from my powerbook install disk, or will it not like that.

Thanks,

J.
I too have a powerbook with OS X that I would like to install on my old desktop G4, but I can't seem to install it, someone told me that it might be because powerbook operating system software is different from what is used on a desktop, so I wondered if that might be why it isn't working. And yes I am aware as this argument says it is illegal, but as I too figure that if I have bought the software I should be entitled to use it on both my computers(whether this is legal or not!). Having spent $10,0000 to buy all this stuff, I'm not going to too feel too guilty about not getting two licenses for two computers I am using.

By the way I also want to install FCP4 on both computers, so enquired about a license for both computers and was told that I would have to buy it separately, (so they just double the cost) surely they should have some discount if you are buying two copies for your own use! In fact the only reason I want to install OS X on the G4 desktop is because I can't run FCP4 on it without OS X.

Anyway I guess I am getting away from the original response. Is it physically (not legally or morally) possible to install a powerbook copy of OS X onto a desktop G4 or G3?

The other thing is kind of interested in more info on this family pack thing for OS X (they obviously don't have that for FCP4!)

bonniescotland
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2003, 01:02 AM

Hi,

Thanks,

J.
Re software piracy argument, I just found this on another mac forum re someone trying to install Office on desktop and powerbook, apparently his license reads:

""General License Grant to Install and Use Software Product

You may install and use one copy of the software product on a single device, workstation, or terminal or other digital of analog eletronic device (the "Device".) You may make a second copy of the Software Product and install it on a portable Device for the exclusive use of the person who is the primary user of the first copy of the Software Product."

It sounds from this that it is possible that it is possible to install a single license agreement software on your own desktop and your own powerbook (being a portable device), but perhaps this only applies to Office software and not other software? Or am I reading this license agreement incorrectly?

Forum Links
Forum Rules