Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 900 Mhz iBook....

900 Mhz iBook....
damosan
Forum Regular
Jun 12, 2003, 07:05 PM

I had a chance to play with a 900mhz iBook today (the 14" model with 256megs of ram) and I'm just going to sum it up in a few works.

Holy cow...

It made may 700mhz iBook seem like it was standing still.

(must wait until the dev. conference is over...must wait until dev. conference is over...)

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2003, 12:18 AM

Hehe, yeah, benchmarks have proven the 900Mhz iBook to be a pretty decent upgrade from the past iBooks, however it would *really* be worth your while to wait and see what WWDC brings to the table.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

jmagic
Jun 13, 2003, 02:22 AM

yea, i got myself a 900mhz ibook 12", and i love it.

it's my first mac

i played with a friends 600mhz ibook, and this thing just blows it away

the ram upgrade also makes a big difference too
ibook 900 12.1" combo 640mb =)
powerbook 1.33 15" 768mb =P

vickster
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2003, 07:36 AM

Please don't tell me that, I haven't had my iBook 700 long enough to justify an upgrade

vickster

radarbob
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2003, 08:19 AM

Here, vickster, this might help....

We have a 700MHz iceBook and we are quite satisfied with it. Yes, there are faster iBooks now, but so what. What we have now keeps up with my typing skulls. And the speling checker is fast two.

If you're playing w/ only 128MB of memory - max it out! now! You'll be glad you did.
bb iBook 300MHz / OS 9.2.2 / OS 10.2.2 / 544MB / 40GB
iceBook 700MHz / OS 10.2.2 / 368MB / 20GB

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2003, 08:32 AM

I think I definitive would consider an upgrade when the ibook reach 1.2 ghz at least.
I belive firmly that 100% cpu hz increase gives most value when doin an upgrade in gear. But that's just me.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2003, 09:57 AM

that has normally been my upgrade idea. when my processor is half the speed of the new one available, then i will contemplate the new purchase.

so when ibook get in the upper, +1.5ghz, i will think about it, but for now my 800 with 640mb ram is more than enough.

Cipher13
Jun 14, 2003, 02:19 AM

I think I'm gonna get a current 900MHz iBook.

I should wait till after WWDC, but my justification *not* to is that these still run OS9... right?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2003, 06:11 AM

Even the current 900Mhz iBook's still boot into OS 9, as seen here: http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
I think I definitive would consider an upgrade when the ibook reach 1.2 ghz at least.
I belive firmly that 100% cpu hz increase gives most value when doin an upgrade in gear. But that's just me.
totally believe in this strategy, if only i can hold out!
current: ibook 600 4x combo:

next 'book must be 1.2+ G4, 12-16x burner, dual display support, would like 5400 rpm drive, but i'm not counting on apple to do anything 'right' on that front, seeing as how they skimp on so many others....

prolly next book will be, by default a powerbook 12 or 15", when the specs arrive the dough will be dropped on one....

smijolovic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2003, 05:01 PM

The new 900 is amazing....but I went with the new 800 w/cdrom just because I could get an ibook 800 and a 10GB ipod for the price of the 900. I already have a combo drive in my PC laptop (I know I know.....it's not on the mac) so I didn't have the need it for the extra $300. With 640 MB of ram and my airport card....I haven't been on my PC sinse I got the ibook....and I don't miss it either!

Congrats and good luck...and if you are into web development.....just wait until you get your hands on Macromedia Studio MX. It rips on my 800!
rm -rf /bin/laden

dettociao
Senior User
Jun 16, 2003, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
Even the current 900Mhz iBook's still boot into OS 9, as seen here: http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html
That's what Cipher was saying... he might not wait becuase they DO boot into 9.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2003, 09:55 AM

They were only updated weeks ago.

In some countries their prices were also reduced just about a week ago.

No way in the world that WWDC will change anything about the iBooks.

Those of you waiting must really be dreaming.

vickster
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by radarbob:
Yes, there are faster iBooks now, but so what. What we have now keeps up with my typing skulls.
Apparently...LOL

No, really - my 700 is fine for what I do with it - email, surfing, writing, some digital photo work, mp3's, watching the occasional DVD...

It's just that like many people, I am afflicted by that terrible bug known as "upgrade fever."

And I agree with those who aren't expecting anything at WWDC - a little too close to the last iBook "tweak," IMO...

vickster

damosan  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by vickster:

It's just that like many people, I am afflicted by that terrible bug known as "upgrade fever."
Mmmm...you see the G5 thing on the front page?

Oh yes...it will be mine...

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 20, 2003, 06:01 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 11, 2004 at 02:14 PM. )

vickster
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by damosan:
Mmmm...you see the G5 thing on the front page?

Oh yes...it will be mine...
Sorry, but I'm squarely in the "hoax" camp; I'll believe it when I see it.

Keeping my fingers crossed, though...

vickster

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 08:33 AM

Well I got my iBook 500 as an 18th birthday present, and this thing has got to last me through uni - my parents certainly aren't buying me another laptop, as of course they see nothing wrong with this one. I can't afford a new mac, and won't be able to until I get a job. Two more years! My first paycheque, though, will be going on a Mac!

damosan  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by vickster:
Sorry, but I'm squarely in the "hoax" camp; I'll believe it when I see it.
As am I...but you can always hope right?

stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Well, you know, you can still purchase a 900Mhz iBook after the WWDC.

It just may be a little bit cheaper by then.

Or use a different processor.
Exactly; if the G5 is announced on Monday, "good-bye G3" may be imminent.

damosan  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by damosan:
As am I...but you can always hope right?
Whelp...looks like the G5 thingy wasn't a hoax...

My iBook's days are certainly numbered...now I just have to manage to save enough pennies for one of those new G5s...

Which basically means I'll be using my iBook for another couple of years.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 06:23 PM

G5 Dual 2 GHZ!!!

Helllllo!... that leaves us with an open door to run up to... 1.4, 1.6 (and why not 2, at that time the G5 will be at 4!) maybe for the G3!?

G4 will die, G3 continue (and it is real good!) and then, in a few month first G51 in PowerBook (if it can ever run cool ;o)
So, we might go to G5, but in a *#% moths, not before! ;o)

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 25, 2003, 02:07 AM

I as well believe that the G3 will continue longer than the G4. And I do believe that Apple has showed interest in this happening to IBM. Otherwise, why would IBM announce a new variant of the G3 code-named 'Gobi/750GX' that has double the cache of the 750FX, a 200MHz bus, speeds of up to 1.5GHz, DDR RAM support, and an Alti-Vec unit less than one month before Apple unveiled the G5?

My personal opinion of what is going to happen is this:

Considering that from the start, the G4 was essentially a G3 with an Alti-Vec unit, is it not plausable that upon retiring Motorolas G4 in a final swoop to cut off all business with Motorola, Apple would market this G3 cored Alti-Vec 750GX chip manufactured by IBM under the G4 name previously reserved for the Motorola chip and use it as their low end processor for the iBook and maybe even the iMac?

Marketing the Gobi/750GX under the G4 name would not only be technically acceptable considering the addition of the Alti-Vec unit, it would be an excellent way for Apple to finally tap the potential of the G3 and not have to hold it back because of the G4s sucking, and it would also alleviate the perceived 'oldness' caused by the chip having a name (G3) that is two generations older than that of the G5s.
( Last edited by Lateralus; Jun 25, 2003 at 02:42 AM. )
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 01:09 PM

Thanks a lot PowerMacMan for the info!

I love the G3 (so "cool") in my iBook 800 12"!
The PB 12" came out few weeks after I bought my iBook but when I put my hands on it!...
I saw on macbidouille.com that it is going up to 60 DCelcius on surface! they shown the white of an egg changing of "consistance" just being left on it!...

G3 rules! The iBook 12" is realy a perfect setup! Rocksolid-NonXpensiv-Fast enough!
I think the 12" PB is kinda stoopid, if you need power, you need to work seriously, and so need a "real" machine, the iBook is great to go around with and to show your customers the last evolutions-versions of their stuff...

Well, I do not have to convince anyone here! ;oP

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2003, 10:08 PM

Wow! I love these forums. I've tried to stay away from the iBook and PB forums because when I'm in here I get hardware envy. But something I've realized as I've been scouring the forums for the past few years, and especially within the past few months is that iBook owners seem to generally be happier than PB owners. Maybe that's b/c users getting a PB pay a premium price and expect huge speed gains and they don't get what they expected. I don't know. The PBs look great, and I've been considering getting one, but they are pricey, the 12" is hot and the 15" is Ti, which is prone to dents and scratching...I hear the 12" doesn't wear well either.

Having a Rev. A iBook 500 I'm hoping to make an upgrade soon. I've considered the PB mostly b/c as you said, PowerMacMan, I don't want a G3 b/c it is two generations behind. But IBM is making the current G3s, right? They run cooler and fast, and the MHz is faster than the 12" PB, not to mention the iBook has more L2 cache (2x as much). PowerMacMan, is this info you have legit? It sounds like a great way to go, especially given Motorslowa's delinquency with the latest G4s. If IBM AV-enables the G3, why not call it a G4 and put Motorolla out to pasture? I've been wondering what Apple's plans are. My thinking has been that the iBook would go away in favor of an economy 12" PB, but they're still too expensive to be a consumer machine like the iBook.

The iBook is a great machine. I have grown accustomed to the 12" screen, the beautiful enclosure, rugged durability, etc., which would be hard to give up. I'm honestly VERY happy with it. I do with it was faster, but from what I am hearing, the 900 with not only the faster processor but faster bus will be leaps ahead of my 500. Honestly, I need to try one out in person before I make any decisions, but if PMM is right, I'm gonna wait until the next iBook update. I would like a Gig+ processor and a faster bus. I'm hoping for a second RAM slot or even a slot-loading drive (though not a big deal, and not worth the extra $$).

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2003, 04:00 PM

How does the iBook 900 compare to an 867Mhz Powerbook G4?

Anyone have an Xbench's or something??

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2003, 10:08 PM

I'd love to see that.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 15, 2003, 09:49 AM

Does anyone else see the humour in this post?

Originally posted by radarbob:
Here, vickster, this might help....

We have a 700MHz iceBook and we are quite satisfied with it. Yes, there are faster iBooks now, but so what. What we have now keeps up with my typing skulls. And the speling checker is fast two.

If you're playing w/ only 128MB of memory - max it out! now! You'll be glad you did.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

ChadC
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2003, 12:11 PM

LOL.... nice catch qnxde.

In any case... I have decided to save $ for the next revision of the iBook. It's a great little comp and I dont need the trouble of the 12"(i.e. fan noise, fagile, heat noise, etc.). My dad's got one and he loves it, but I think the iBook is for me.

-Chad
13" Aluminum Macbook
16gig iPhone 4

Westfoto
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by HotSoup:
How does the iBook 900 compare to an 867Mhz Powerbook G4?

Anyone have an Xbench's or something??
My wife has the 867Mhz TiBook and my son has the 900Mhz iBook the biggest difference that I SEE so far is the screen size.

And if you do any photo / image stuff, the G4 will help.

West
Mac Pro - 12 GB RAM - 30" & 23" Displays - 10.7.1
MacBook Pro - 2 GB RAM - 10.6.8
Airport Extreme • Canon iPF5000 • PIXMA Pro9000 • Xerox N2125

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2003, 02:33 PM

I was undecided whether to get another iBook (the 900) or the 12" PB combo. I settled on the PB and I'm happy...very happy. When I was at the Apple Store it was late and they were about to close, so I didn't get to do many comparisons, but the PB just offers more. It is a solid machine and the iBook has that new plastic trim which doesn't appear to wear very well. The 12" PB isn't fragile, it is very sturdy, way more so than the Ti, IMO. Smaller than the iBook, a LOT faster than my 500 iBook, has a beautiful screen (and I'm not joking, it is crisp), Airport Extreme, G4, DDR RAM, and a really nice keyboard. Does it get hot? Yes, but that's the only fault I've seen so far, and it isn't something I would let keep me away from a powerful, portable notebook that I feel will perform better longer than the iBook. And I love the iBook, it's going to be hard to part with mine, but this baby is making it a lot easier.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2003, 09:05 PM

I went to the Apple Store in Vegas, and was dissappointed in the fit and finish of the newer iBooks. I'm a former 500 Mhz iBook owner, so I guess I'm spoiled. These new machines still look great, but I LOVED the finish of the older iBooks. I miss that. I also wish they would have stayed with the metal palm rests. Now they're plastic, and seem prone to get dirty.

I'm so sad. I really loved my iBook, but it was just not quick enough, I had to buy my brothers dual 500 G4 tower.

I wonder if they'll ever bring back the previous glory of the iBook.

I guess I'll have to save for a powerbook, or just realize that the iBook is still a dang nice machine, and get over my nostalga.

Cipher13
Aug 21, 2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
I went to the Apple Store in Vegas, and was dissappointed in the fit and finish of the newer iBooks. I'm a former 500 Mhz iBook owner, so I guess I'm spoiled. These new machines still look great, but I LOVED the finish of the older iBooks. I miss that. I also wish they would have stayed with the metal palm rests. Now they're plastic, and seem prone to get dirty.

I'm so sad. I really loved my iBook, but it was just not quick enough, I had to buy my brothers dual 500 G4 tower.

I wonder if they'll ever bring back the previous glory of the iBook.

I guess I'll have to save for a powerbook, or just realize that the iBook is still a dang nice machine, and get over my nostalga.
Yeah, that pissed me off too.

My iBook arrived today, and so, if the palmrest REALLY gets to me, I'm gonna transplant the one from my iBook 500 to the iBook 900.

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Aug 24, 2003, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
I went to the Apple Store in Vegas, and was dissappointed in the fit and finish of the newer iBooks. I'm a former 500 Mhz iBook owner, so I guess I'm spoiled....
Also spoilt by the 500's finish... I don't think about it while I'm on this 700, but when I try the 500... It's just sooooo much smoother

Uh. Sounds like a toiletpaper ad or something. Better get sleep.

Lebensm�de
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2003, 04:40 AM

Originally posted by Nerozwei:
Also spoilt by the 500's finish... I don't think about it while I'm on this 700, but when I try the 500... It's just sooooo much smoother
Why did Apple change from the metal finish to the plastic finish in the first place? To save costs or to better distinguish the 12" iBooks from their 12" PB cousins?

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2003, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by Lebensm�de:
Why did Apple change from the metal finish to the plastic finish in the first place? To save costs or to better distinguish the 12" iBooks from their 12" PB cousins?
My guess it might be a bit of both, but mostly it's about the price. Solid white shell production has less phases so I'd imagine it's cheaper.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Yeah, that pissed me off too.

My iBook arrived today, and so, if the palmrest REALLY gets to me, I'm gonna transplant the one from my iBook 500 to the iBook 900.
I was thinking about this. I could trade shells with my 500, maybe. I'm not sure I'm ready to void my warranty so soon after purchase though. I love that metal palmrest. grrr.

Forum Links
Forum Rules