Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Blank screen after sleep

Blank screen after sleep
t_hah
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 02:58 PM

I believe that this is an OS type problem. This has happened to me quite a bit, but it is getting annoying, because it happens the strangest times.

I have the screensaver setup, with the password authentication. I also have the Energy Saver option running that turns the screen blank after a while. Sometimes when I try to use my computer (Dual 1.25 G4, 10.3.2, 1.5GB RAM) I only get a blank screen. The mouse cursor appears on the screen, but nothing else happens, thus I am locked in this state. I can heard the HD spinning up, but I am not able to use the computer. Once again, the display is definitely on, since the mouse is moving around on the screen and the OS realized that I am trying to do something since the HD spins up, but I cannot do anything (that I know of) unless I do a restart (hold the Power button down).

Has anyone else experiences this?

Thanks,

t

Pete M
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 03:14 PM

I've experienced the same thing on my Ti 400 running Panther. At first I thought it was a problem with DVD Player but it happens even when it isn't running. You're right, it happens very inconsistently. The mouse is visible and responsive but the rest of the screen is black. Hitting ESC or CMD+. doesn't appear to do anything either. My only way out has been to CMD+SHIFT+Q to logout. The screen gets reset when the logon window shows back up. This can be a big pain as it happens so inconsistently. If I knew what caused it I would avoid it.
---Pete

t_hah  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2004, 03:24 PM

I definitely cannot use the CMD+SHIFT+Q trick. that does nothing to it, and that is probably because my system is locked outside the screensavers password protection. I can imagine that if I did not have that set up on my system, I might be able to log out. I have to have the password protection, since there are many people wondering aroudn my work desk.

sd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2004, 06:06 PM

I'm seeing the same problem on a 15" iMac. The problem appeared a couple of days ago and happens whenever the system goes to sleep.

orry_main
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2004, 10:21 AM

This has recently started happening on my G3 iBook. I also have my machine password protected, though I get the password dialogue when I bring the machine out of sleep. But then I'm stuck with a blank screen and the cursor. It's happened a bunch of times in class which is really annoying (at least it's been a class in which I don't take a lot of notes, hence the machine going to sleep...), but if I know that I can try the log-out key stroke, that'll save time rather than forcing a restart.

But no one has any ideas why this is happening?

Forum Links
Forum Rules