Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Volunteer menubar icon design for gCount?

Volunteer menubar icon design for gCount?
natan
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2004, 07:07 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for someone to crank out three menu bar icons, to help with gCount ( http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15238 ). I can't offer any compensation, it's freeware and will eventually be open-sourced, but you could get some noteriety.

I need 3 icons: one signifying there is unread mail, one signifying all mail is read, and one signifying there is an error in retrieving the mail count. I envision the three of them tied together thematically by an envelope or postage stamp... but we only have 22px by 22px to work with.

Is anyone interested? I'd like to release the gCount v0.3 with these icons on Sunday, or possibly a little before then. Thanks!

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2004, 03:27 PM

If no one else wants to lend a hand, I may have a stab at it tomorrow (provided it hasn't already be done)

afphreak01
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 03:29 PM

he's got a friend working on it right now, version .3 should be released tomorrow if everything goes to plan...
i'm too lazy to come up with a sig

natan  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2004, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
If no one else wants to lend a hand, I may have a stab at it tomorrow (provided it hasn't already be done)
Yeah, the final touches are going on tonight. Release either late tonight or tomorrow morning.

However, the icons are just a set of .pngs in the bundle, so they will be easily skinnable by any GUI hacker who wants to take a swing at it.

natan  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2004, 03:00 AM

It's released! Check out gCount v0.3 here:

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~natan/gcount/

You themes can now modify the icons (albeit manually), if people demand easier themeing support I will eventually add that in too.

The icons to modify are: read.png, unread.png, error.png, loading.png and those icons names+Sel.png (selected state). Have fun

Phoenix1701
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 08:19 PM

Thanks natan! I decided to try my hand at making a theme for it, and I think it turned out pretty well. Here's the result:

Read:
Loading:
Error:
Unread:

The selected images are to the right of the unselected ones, though of course they'll be largely invisible until you put them on a dark background.

Feel free to use these as an alternate theme for gCount, natan, and anyone else who wants to use them is also free to.

Forum Links
Forum Rules