Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Having trouble with Panther on B&W G3

Having trouble with Panther on B&W G3
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2004, 02:57 PM

Panther will only run in 8-bit mode and there are no other options. Any way to fix this other than downgrading to Jaguar?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
Panther will only run in 8-bit mode and there are no other options. Any way to fix this other than downgrading to Jaguar?
Sweet, 10.3.4 fixed it. Nevermind.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Kate
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 12:08 PM

Lucky you. I have three B&W G3, of which only one runs it at all. The two others get a kernel panic during the install or when rebooting from the new installed OS.

I stripped those two to the bare essentials provided by Apple, Apple RAM etc. but no go.
However they boot fine from the installer CD.

I moved the CD kernel to the respective disk, but that led nowhere.
Anyone with a clue? Sure these are rev.1 B&W G3 and are renowned for having this problem, nevertheless I'd like to get those working.

digital_dreamer
Jul 16, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Kate:
Lucky you. I have three B&W G3, of which only one runs it at all. The two others get a kernel panic during the install or when rebooting from the new installed OS.

I stripped those two to the bare essentials provided by Apple, Apple RAM etc. but no go.
However they boot fine from the installer CD.

I moved the CD kernel to the respective disk, but that led nowhere.
Anyone with a clue? Sure these are rev.1 B&W G3 and are renowned for having this problem, nevertheless I'd like to get those working.
How large is/are your hard drive(s) on the G3?
IIRC, the IDE controller on rev. 1 units will cause HD corruption on drives 18GB or larger. Master or slave.
See this xlr8yourmac page for more information.
(You probably already knew this based on your rev. 1 comment, but I just wanted to make sure. )

It's been suggested to use a PCI IDE controller card to interface with the drives. See if you can get one on the cheap and try it out.

regards,
MAJ

Kate
Senior User
Jul 17, 2004, 03:23 AM

Thanks, but that doesn't do the trick.
I tried to install on the original 6GB drive and on a 120GB drive connected to an Acard(PCI/IDE) . Neither works. Swapping the drive on the Acard with a drive that has a working Panther installation helps nothing since the drive is not recognized as a valid boot volume.

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 05:00 AM

weird, I have installed all varieties of Panther on it, including (I think) the beta, as well as server etc... It is my rock solid testing machine.
I have Mac

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by digital_dreamer:
How large is/are your hard drive(s) on the G3?
IIRC, the IDE controller on rev. 1 units will cause HD corruption on drives 18GB or larger. Master or slave.
See this xlr8yourmac page for more information.
(You probably already knew this based on your rev. 1 comment, but I just wanted to make sure. )

It's been suggested to use a PCI IDE controller card to interface with the drives. See if you can get one on the cheap and try it out.

regards,
MAJ
Not necessarily true. I have a B&W Rev1., and I have had no issues with running a 20gb drive and a the original 6gb drive in a master/slave configuration. I ran that way for over two years with no issues. It may have been longer, but I can't exactly remember. I eventually added a pci ide card to the computer and a faster hard drive, but I never had issues with the IDE controller in my B&W.

Also, Panther and Panther Server have run fine on this machine.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Kate
Senior User
Jul 17, 2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by jguidroz:
...... I never had issues with the IDE controller in my B&W.

Also, Panther and Panther Server have run fine on this machine.
There are mixed results with rev1 G3s .

I think there might exist rev1A, rev1B and rev1C and I own two A and one C version.
At least this would be consistent with the results and behaviour these G3s do show.

My rev1C runs since day one with every system, every drive and has since then been upgraded with the second cpu upgrade and second hard drive controller. Everything goes with this.
As a compensation for this extra package luck the two other G3s bark at everything.
I think they may be EOL this time. A new iMac might come in handy as a replacement.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2004, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Kate:
I think there might exist rev1A, rev1B and rev1C...
Actually I have a rev1A, if such a thing existed. I purchased and picked up my B&W G3 after they were announced at Macworld in January of 1999, but before the store was actually capable of selling them to the public .
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Forum Links
Forum Rules