Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Blue G3 -- worthy of a kids computer or look elsewhere?

Blue G3 -- worthy of a kids computer or look elsewhere?
corp miler
Aug 9, 2004, 02:38 PM

I am interested in purchasing an inexpensive computer for my preschool aged kids to learn on. I'd like to stay as cheap as possible (under or well under $600) and still have a usable system for the new few years. I first was looking at used iMacs (considered a AIO for a short time) or eMacs (see my post http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=223108). Then I found where you can buy a new 1ghz eMac for only $619 online and that is intreging, but really pushing what I'd like to spend. However, I now may be able to get my hands on a blue & white G3 from a friend who has one not in use. He'll probably only want around $100 for it. It is the entry level for that model -- 350mhz, 128mb ram, 6gb hard drive, CD only. Is this something that will work for most current kid apps and for the next few years? Is this worth upgrading, and in what way (G4, ram, DVD, etc), or would I be better off looking into newer eMac or iMac rather than upgrading a blue G3? He also has a 20" Apple display that he'd love to move. Not sure on the condition of this yet. The monitor would be okay, but I'm not sure if I want a monitor that takes up that much space. Thanks for your help.

webb3201
Senior User
Aug 9, 2004, 02:41 PM

The B&W g3 for 100.00 ish would be a great machine for the kids. Install OS9 and you can find a lot of titles for kids that are dirt cheap. Mine use an iMac of the same vintage with the 333 processor maxed out at 192mb of ram. You have a much higher ram count and upgrade path. The emac is great, but would be overkill for my young kids.
k
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 9, 2004, 03:35 PM

I disagree with the entire premise of a "kids computer" -- kids tend to run more demanding software than the adults in a typical family!*

I do not believe that a B&W G3 nor an old iMac are sufficient these days, much less to last "a few years".

If you want a machine that will last the kids a few years, the rock-bottom minimum is that cheap eMac.

tooki

*Generally speaking, in most families, the computer hand-me-down cycle should be from child to adult.

videian28
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 03:49 PM

I agree with tookie

hell I bought a eMac 700mhz a few years ago, and when they see dad on his powermac, they want to play the same kinda games they can't on the eMac

brianb
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 05:41 PM

I have to go with the Blue and White on this one. He said his kids were preschoolage. They still need to learn to read and write. There is no power using that is going to happen here. They need titles that teach them math, reading and logical thinking skills. For us adults think 1+1=2 not x/y-5=2. In a couple of years they will be what starting 2nd grade. Fine then buy them a system that can play some more complex games and they can start to play with iMovie and all of that. But I don't think they need a system that will play Medal of Honor just because the kids want too. Buy them what they need and at a 100 dollars it is a great investment and if they want to sit at the computer and become a power user at 5, I would tell them to go find some kids to play baseball(or insert your favorite sport here)
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 12:03 AM

If they're really young to the point where all they're playing is reader rabbit, go for it.

Personally though, just in my opinion, I always thought stuff like that was a waste. By then they could be getting into better things like kid pix or story typing programs that not only do you have fun doing what YOU want to do, but you learn something from screwing around too...

Then again, I'm sure those will run on an older computer too
Aloha

corp miler  (op)
Aug 10, 2004, 09:09 AM

I don�t really know what programs are out there for the kids. My friend's kids love Kid Pix and they play it on a 233 iMac. However I don�t think they can do much else. This all started when I went into the Apple Store and couldn�t get my 2 1/2 year old off the iMac with a Nemo game. I thought this would be a great educational toy for bad weather days � better than watching another video!

TikTokk
Aug 10, 2004, 01:36 PM

I sure hope that a B&W G3 is sufficient for kids considering I still use one for web and graphic design with the occasional video work. Just make sure it has at least 256mb ram and it'll run OSX just dandy.

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2004, 06:05 PM

My wife and I just purchased a dual 2 Ghz G5 so my soon to by 4-year-old son has our old B&W. It is running 10.2.8 and we have installed a couple of software packages for kids on it. The price was right (I got it for free) and for what he is doing with it - it is perfect. It has no internet access and no other apps on it. How much power do you need for Dora the Explorer?

I think the apps are great for a child this age to get used to using the mouse and the games are very interactive. I would much rather have him use these games than park it in front of the tube.

When he gets a little older, I'm sure the G5 will suit him well.
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Aug 10, 2004, 06:28 PM

It will be more than fine for pre-school kids.

Anyone over the age of 7 will demand state-of-the-art.. and if my daughter is anything to go by - a PC.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Aug 10, 2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by sambeau:
It will be more than fine for pre-school kids.

Anyone over the age of 7 will demand state-of-the-art.. and if my daughter is anything to go by - a PC.
ouch. is the milkman a pc user?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 09:26 PM

Once they get old enough it's time to do dual platform give them a windows machine and a mac (both not THAT new) so they have one for games and one for REAL work
Aloha

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2004, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

I do not believe that a B&W G3 nor an old iMac are sufficient these days, much less to last "a few years".
My B&W G3 is still running great and sufficient.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 01:23 PM

My BW upgraded to Radeon 7000, G4 650 mhz,640 mb of RAM, 3 hard disks, combo drive, USB 2 pci card, Bluetooth USB module and 17 inch LCD screen is still my main working machine, despite presence of Pentium 2.4 Ghz pc with Geforce 4 Ti 4200, and BW is still a very competitive machine compared to the P4 computer and the best choice for all my graphic and audio related work. I have no need to upgrade to G5 yet.

A1acran
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2004, 08:09 PM

Can a B&W G3 run Panther 10.3.5???

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 08:32 PM

Of course. Mine is running 10.3.5 and its performance is quite good

reactor
Aug 11, 2004, 09:03 PM

I have a B/W 400Mhz with 1Gig ram (dirt cheap) and the Radeon PCI driving a 21" screen running 1200x1600 just fine, under 10.3.5.

Unless you'll be teaching your kids UT2K4, give it a go.......
if there were no Mac
it would be necessary to invent one

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2004, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by reactor:
I have a B/W 400Mhz with 1Gig ram (dirt cheap) and the Radeon PCI driving a 21" screen running 1200x1600 just fine, under 10.3.5.

Unless you'll be teaching your kids UT2K4, give it a go.......
1200x1600?! That a portrait screen or something? heheh j/k
Aloha

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 12, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by Hash:
My BW upgraded to Radeon 7000, G4 650 mhz,640 mb of RAM, 3 hard disks, combo drive, USB 2 pci card, Bluetooth USB module and 17 inch LCD screen is still my main working machine, despite presence of Pentium 2.4 Ghz pc with Geforce 4 Ti 4200, and BW is still a very competitive machine compared to the P4 computer and the best choice for all my graphic and audio related work. I have no need to upgrade to G5 yet.
That is one tricked out B/W. Out of curiosity, how did you get a 650 mh G4? Thats an odd speed for an upgrade.

lw

Hash
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 04:23 PM

G4 550 mhz, overclocked to 650.

And I forgot to add PCI IDE ACARD 66mhz.

trancepriest
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 11:23 AM

My pre-school kids have their own 2.5ghz Powermac... its great for video games especially with the cinema display.... I would recommend both for your kids. I agree with tooki... kids generally need more computing power than adults... just for video games alone.. give your kids the best. A dual 2.5 should last them for awhile. Already their having so much fun playing racing games... I had to teach em that you have to drive on the road though...

yikes600
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 12:29 PM

I've got a Yikes (same as B&W) upgraded to G4/650, Radeon 9200, 1GB RAM, 8x Superdrive, etc. OS X 10.3.7 is not slow by any means. Granted, you probably won't upgrade it this much but the path is always there.

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by trancepriest:
My pre-school kids have their own 2.5ghz Powermac... its great for video games especially with the cinema display.... I would recommend both for your kids. I agree with tooki... kids generally need more computing power than adults... just for video games alone.. give your kids the best. A dual 2.5 should last them for awhile. Already their having so much fun playing racing games... I had to teach em that you have to drive on the road though...
Your pre-school kids have a better computer than most people on these forums!

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 07:02 PM

Originally posted by Hash:
G4 550 mhz, overclocked to 650.

And I forgot to add PCI IDE ACARD 66mhz.
Same here
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2005, 05:38 PM

Or you could get the new Mac mini. 499 and 599. that I think would be a perfect kids computer.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 11, 2005, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
Or you could get the new Mac mini. 499 and 599. that I think would be a perfect kids computer.
I second this. get 'em a cheap CRT or LCD to go with it, and upgrade in a few years (monitor and Mac mini)

barang
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2005, 11:21 PM

My younger siblings use a rev. b imac 333 all the time. It runs kid pix and appleworks, and even some of the older kiddie games like Bugdom and Nanosaur no problem. They also love iTunes.

I'd go with the BandW G3 anyday.

For a hundred bucks, you can't go wrong.
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

BoulderDash
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by TikTokk:
I sure hope that a B&W G3 is sufficient for kids considering I still use one for web and graphic design with the occasional video work. Just make sure it has at least 256mb ram and it'll run OSX just dandy.
I agree... my entire freelance business (web, graphic, presentation) is based around a B&W G3 400MHz 512GB RAM. If you don't want it, and your friend wants to sell it for what you say, please contact me.

See ya,
BD

amontague
Jan 12, 2005, 06:42 AM

I upgraded my B+W G3 with a PowerLogix 1.1 GHz G3 card, 640 MB RAM and a 40GB hard disk. It works like a champ. All the latest software, including VPC 7 is working well.

Andrew

Forum Links
Forum Rules