Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mounting FireWire Hard Disk

Mounting FireWire Hard Disk
IEEE1394
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2004, 07:30 PM

I have a FireWire hard drive which won't mount, but it does show up in the FireWire device list in Apple System Profiler. Are there any utilities which i can use to forcibly mount it?

FWIW this is under 10.3.5 Server, but the drive does mount fine under an iMac running 10.3.4.

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 18, 2004, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by IEEE1394:
I have a FireWire hard drive which won't mount, but it does show up in the FireWire device list in Apple System Profiler. Are there any utilities which i can use to forcibly mount it?

FWIW this is under 10.3.5 Server, but the drive does mount fine under an iMac running 10.3.4.
With a name like IEEE1394 YOU should be the one doling out the firewire advice! JK...

Did you try the Disk Utility first aid to check the drive or try a different firewire port on the computer? Sometime firewire ports die and make all sorts of problems. The Disk Utility in the Utility app does allow mounting and un-mounting drives as well as first aid for the drive.

-Jerry C.

IEEE1394  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2004, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Hydra:
Did you try the Disk Utility first aid to check the drive or try a different firewire port on the computer? Sometime firewire ports die and make all sorts of problems. The Disk Utility in the Utility app does allow mounting and un-mounting drives as well as first aid for the drive.

-Jerry C.
I'm pretty sure the FireWire port is fine: the disk shows up in the Apple System Profiler. I've tried with Disk Utillity and it doesn't show anything. I have a feeling it's something to do with the 10.3.5 FireWire HD bug. Maybe I'm just gonna have to wait until 10.3.6 arrives.

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 18, 2004, 10:58 PM

Is it a firewire case that you put together or bought whole? You may want to make sure the ATA connector of the drive is attached properly and the power is plugged into the drive inside the case as well. I have an external Maxtor with it's own power adapter, it is not bus-powered, and if the power supply is not plugged in it shows up on the bus but no HD shows up. Maybe the power supply is shot?

-Jerry C.

IEEE1394  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 01:52 AM

Originally posted by Hydra:
Is it a firewire case that you put together or bought whole?

I put it together myself; but as I said, it was working previously.

Maybe the power supply is shot?

-Jerry C.
This doesn't explain why it still worked when connected to another machine.

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 19, 2004, 01:57 AM

Originally posted by IEEE1394:

I put it together myself; but as I said, it was working previously.

This doesn't explain why it still worked when connected to another machine. [/B]
If it still works when attached to another machine, we are back to the firewire port as a culprit. Do you have other firewire devices to plug in and test it. You should run the hardware test disc that comes with most Macs and see if it shows something.

-Jerry C.

Forum Links
Forum Rules