Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New G5 Power Mac has OS issues after Setup Assist from iBook

New G5 Power Mac has OS issues after Setup Assist from iBook
ekserb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 06:43 PM

I just purchased a new G5 Power Mac and immediately used the Setup Assistant to bring all of my files and settings from an iBook Dual USB 500 G3 acting as a FireWire target drive. Now the OS is acting funny and I'm not sure what to make of it. I've searched these forums for an answer and found nothing else like it (or maybe I wasn't searching with the right keywords).

1. Whenever I've used anyone else's Quartz Extreme enabled machine, the application icons would do a "pop" type of thingie when you double-click to launch. The iBook never did it and I assumed it was a QX thing and the iBook's graphics engine wasn't rated for QX. Now I have the G5 and the icons still don't do their little thingie. What gives?

2. Address Book launches fine and I see my contacts (which were imported during the FireWire transfer of files) listed in the left column, but when I click on any contact the app freezes immediately and will not display the contact info in the right window. Only a Force Quit will quit the app and this problem will occur every time. I can't launch Address Book on the G5.

3. I have yet to find the cause of this next problem, but I suspect Safari. When I come home from work, the screen is dark (this is expected - the Energy Saver preferences shut down the monitor after three hours), but typing a key or moving the mouse will not activate the monitor again. It's not asleep (the power light isn't pulsing and I don't have the prefs to go to sleep) and only holding the Power button until the machine shuts down will fix this. I only suspect Safari because I've never had a problem if I leave the machine with only my startup apps running. If I launch Safari and leave a window open, I think it may be causing this problem, but I haven't thought to write down the running apps before leaving the machine for several hours.

4. Mail on the G5 will not check mail without quitting unexpectedly. Again, the settings were brought from the iBook and the iBook still works fine, but when I set the G5 to automatically check mail, it quits right after displaying the new mail in the In box window. It quits within a few seconds, but does not require any further action from me to cause it to quit. I hear the hard drive clicking for a couple seconds and then it quits. Sometimes I do have time to click one of the new messages and it will open into the message pane, but the app still quits on its own.

Any help with these problems would be appreciated. Some are not major issues as long as I have the iBook handy, but I really would like to have a new machine acting like a new machine.
Do ... or do not. There is no try. --Yoda

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 28, 2004, 08:33 PM

Try repairing permissions. Go to /Applications/Utilities/Diskutility. Launch the latter and click on repair permissions.

ekserb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by jmiddel:
Try repairing permissions. Go to /Applications/Utilities/Diskutility. Launch the latter and click on repair permissions.
I tried that already. Sorry ... I should have mentioned that in my original post.
Do ... or do not. There is no try. --Yoda

Forum Links
Forum Rules