Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > 802.1x and Internet Connect query

802.1x and Internet Connect query
Rumpole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 06:00 PM

I am sorry to trouble the board with this since there is no real problem here other than my annoyance at not being able to get things back to how they were before I started messing with things that I know nothing about. In trying to create an Airport network between a Powerbook 667 G4 and an Imac G5 I have managed to get an "802.1x" icon amongst Summary, Airport, VPN, at the top of the Internet Connect window. This occured on both machines, and I was able to remove it on the Imac by deleting "802.1x" in the list of Network Port Configurations in the Network System Preference pane. However no such "802.1x" appears in the corresponding list on the Powerbook, just Airport, Ethernet, and Internal Modem. I have tried deleting all my network locations and configurations on the Powerbook and starting again, but "802.1x" will not go away at the top of the Internet Connect window. I have also tried to edit and delete the 802 configuration that I must have unwittingly created. No good. In answer to someone else who had this problem on another board about a year ago, the advice was to command-drag the item out of the window. I have tried that (not that I am completely sure how to command-drag anything) but that hasn't worked. I have not yet tried to remove the Airport Card, and then try to remove the icon, might that help? The panes that I messed with were Network and Sharing. I did create a successful network between the 2 machines, both on Airport and Ethernet (using an Asante router), and this problem is purely (and merely) annoying. Inspite of appearances from the above, I am a pretty experienced Mac user, I just have NO knowledge of Networks. I have not tried to delete any plist files from Internet Connect, or done anything system file wise. Both computers are running the (same) latest version of OS X.
Any ideas?
( Last edited by Rumpole; Jan 7, 2005 at 08:08 PM. )
MacBook Pro 17" Rev A
Imac G5 20"
ipod 60Gb

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2005, 10:53 PM

It won't hurt anything if it's there. If you aren't using it, just leave the configuration blank.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

Forum Links
Forum Rules