Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Duration of ibook

Duration of ibook
macman88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2005, 11:32 PM

how long do you plan on keeping your ibook. or better off, what will new ibooks have to have for you to upgrade?
ibook g4, 1.33ghz, 768mb

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 30, 2005, 11:48 PM

aluminum skin.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2005, 06:14 AM

good question... my last laptop (an hp thinkpad) was made in 1996, and i got my ibook in, er, january, so i figure that seeing as apples are meant to be pretty durable i might be ready to get a new one in the second half of 2020.

the scary thing is that i'm almost serious. though i expect i'll be tempted to upgrade when the 8thz ibook with 3d full-immersion goggles comes out in 2009. that said, i might be thinking about switching back to windows around then cos there'll be a fantastic new version available that doesn't need to be restarted every couple of hours

sminch

macman88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2005, 04:01 PM

but dont you also think a new fantastic version of os x or os xi will be out to.
ibook g4, 1.33ghz, 768mb

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2005, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by macman88:
but dont you also think a new fantastic version of os x or os xi will be out to.
there's nothing wrong with using old software or OS. as long as i have up to date macs at work i will never (ever?) have the want to upgrade at home.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2005, 06:23 PM

for sure. i'll definitely upgrade when the mac os has the ability to sense where you're looking (like new slr cameras do), so that you can click on an icon just by looking at it and blinking twice...

sminch

ps - enough of me being a nob, time for people to answer this question with a bit more seriousity.

damosan
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2005, 11:06 PM

I use my G3 iBook almost every day and have done so for almost 3 years. I still run 10.2.8 because the apps I use work and I have no reason to upgrade the OS.

I *AM* thinking about upgrading to 10.4. That way I should be good till 10.6. I'll buy a new machine then.

macman88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2005, 11:27 PM

isn't os x upgrades supposed to be slowing down. buying a whole new version every other year seems like alot.
ibook g4, 1.33ghz, 768mb

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2005, 11:44 PM

i agree - i only bought my machine a few months back and am not keen on splashing out for a new os this soon, or too frequently regardless. i'd rather spend that money on hardware and upgrade the os when i get a whole new computer. assuming that a newer os will also slow the 'puter down cos it'll be built to utilise higher specs, then upgrading the os without a cpu / hd / ram upgrade starts looking like a bad idea.

sminch

macman88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 31, 2005, 11:53 PM

i don't mind the upgrading but the frequency is what bothers to me. they should include some bigger features upgrades as soon as they are available through software updater.
ibook g4, 1.33ghz, 768mb

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2005, 08:04 AM

seriously, though, industry is very slow to upgrade with good reason: frequent upgrades are hazardous as they can cause conflicts with older programs and slow or halt production. i still get Quark 4 and Pagemaker 6.5 files at work. we have all the newest software but still need to be able to revert when needed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules