Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Please help, i'm utterly clueless how to fix

Please help, i'm utterly clueless how to fix
MoreMojo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2005, 11:03 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently downloaded a bunch of recommended software updates for my ibook little 600 mh, and since then i've been unable to complete the boot up process to get to my start up screen.

What happens is, the computer automatically shuts down while it's trying to boot after it gets stuck on the 'loading windows login' part of the process.

The end result is i'm left with a black screen since the process is taking so long. I'm unable to 'wake' it up no matter what I try. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is me ------------->

Thanks in advance for any help,
V

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2005, 12:10 AM

Have you tried the usual, reset PRAM, reset Power Manager and fsck? A PRAM reset usually does it for me if my Mac won't boot. Option-command-P-R at startup until you hear a second startup chime.

MoreMojo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2005, 12:16 PM

Thanks for your response. I tried that and still no luck.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2005, 05:53 PM

Have you tried booting from your OS X CD and running Disk Utility? I would repair permissions and the disk itself. If you still have the problem then a reinstall may be the only easy way out...

Why did you wait to install a bunch of updates? Did you reinstall an early OS version and then run Software Update? I've noticed that installing a lot of things at one time can cause glitches, plus it is impossible to tell what is causing the problem.

I'm a big fan of cloning my system volumes to another drive/partition just in case this kind of thing happens. It won't help this time, but it is something to consider for the future. SuperDuper! has worked the best for me; CarbonCopyCloner has caused me problems in certain situations. YMMV.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 09:12 PM

moreMojo- got access to another Mac?

you can T-boot your mac and dig around in the system prefs files to change the login information/settings. It may be a problem with auto-login (bc I've had that before). It may require some UNIX shell stuff, and I'm not that much of a dork to know how to fix it, but I know it's possible.

Eyenovation
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2005, 01:55 AM

Tiger comes out in less than a week, so I'd simply take the opportunity and do a clean install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules