Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just ordered...

Just ordered...
kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2005, 02:20 PM

I just ordered my PB.

12" G4
512MB ram for now
60 gig HD
etc. etc.

Wow Im excited. Im a coming from a PC that Im starting to hate and I figured the PB would be a good match for me in college.

Anything special I should know?

Josh

garypix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by kappa4life
I just ordered my PB.

12" G4
512MB ram for now
60 gig HD
etc. etc.

Wow Im excited. Im a coming from a PC that Im starting to hate and I figured the PB would be a good match for me in college.

Anything special I should know?

Josh

Congratulations! You'll love your 12".

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2005, 01:44 AM

It's made of metal. Is that special?

Seriously, I do love how Macs work. It'll take some time to learn some of teh details, if you haven't already had a lot of experience with a Mac, but when it comes to typing, I just love the option key. My biggest issue with Windows is the difficulty in accessing or remembering special characters.

If you need to run PC programs, remember VirtualPC (I know you just got away from that, but just in case).

Enjoy!
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

kjbetz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2005, 02:04 AM

I just drove 2h45m to the nearest Apple store and back to get a 12" PB and I'm so glad I did. I know I could have ordered it online, but I wanted it for the weekend to start using it. It's awesome. Typing on it right now in my bed connected to the wireless router I just bought as well. Good luck with the wait, it'll be well worth it.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2005, 04:16 AM

You should seriously consider getting AppleCare. And you'll probably want to add RAM eventually, to at least 768. An external display will also come in handy if this is to be your only computer.
Enjoy your alBook -- I use the 12" myself.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2005, 06:43 AM

You can get AppleCare within a year of your purchase. I'd suggest getting more ram if you can right away. 512 is almost the minimum that you'll need. An external monitor is nice.

Also, many people reinstall the OS right off and things can run a little better.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Link
Professional Poster
May 22, 2005, 06:54 AM

I just got my PB a week ago, all I can say is that it'll be an awesome experience for ya! Honestly, don't worry aboutt ram or warranty right now, you can worry about that bunk once the new machine smell wears off. Congrats, and I hope you enjoy it!
Aloha

benwhanlee
Forum Regular
May 22, 2005, 07:30 AM

a few suggestions:

-definitely consider applecare. if you're in college, it's not a bad deal with your educational discount.

-it's good to get in the habit of performing regular maintenance. repair permissions regularly with the program called disk utility. do this once a month, or more importantly, before and after each software update or install of new software. you may want to download a program called macjanitor which also runs maintenance scripts that otherwise only run when if you're computer is left on 24/7.

-the powerbooks do get warm. you may want to consider something like a road tools' cool pad (that's what i use) to help keep it cooler.

-think about upping your ram. 512 is good. more is better.

-come back here if you have any problems or questions. enjoy it. unpacking a new powerbook is a great experience indeed.
15" Al PB 1.67, 15" Ti PB 667, Power Mac 400

Forum Links
Forum Rules