Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to convince my parents...

How to convince my parents...
kappa4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2005, 02:04 AM

Well I made the switch about a month ago and got a 12" PB G4 and now our PC is about to take a crap, so my parents started looking at new systems. Im reallllly wanting them to get a 20" G5 iMac. They seem halfway interested, but my dad was also looking at the Dell XPS Generation 5. How can I convince them that dollar for dollar the iMac is a better value and an overall superiour computer?

Thanks

Josh

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2005, 02:30 AM

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2005, 02:59 AM

hard to answer w/o any other information.

how computer savvy are your parents? do they have a digital camera? do they invest (stock tracker widget alone might do it), etc.

kappa4life  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2005, 03:03 AM

My dad is more savvy than my mom. I was showing my mom some slideshows I made in iPhoto and burnt them to a DVD through iDVD. She was impressed. We have 2 or 3 digi cams.

josh

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2005, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by kappa4life
Well I made the switch about a month ago and got a 12" PB G4 and now our PC is about to take a crap, so my parents started looking at new systems. Im reallllly wanting them to get a 20" G5 iMac. They seem halfway interested, but my dad was also looking at the Dell XPS Generation 5. How can I convince them that dollar for dollar the iMac is a better value and an overall superiour computer?

Thanks

Josh
I bought my first iMac in 2001 and have never once gotten a bug, virus or any infection (knock on wood).

Not one.

doucy2
Senior User
Jul 3, 2005, 09:29 AM

same story to tell 1st mac in 2002
now i have 3 and about to get another
never any bugs knock on wood
windows froze at least once a day, my mac would hardly freeze every 2 week

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2005, 09:58 AM

Tell them to try something new for a change, and to be open minded about their computer uses. Tell them Macs are in a higher class of computers than Dells, and the iMac will make the room it's in look beautiful.

Tell your dad that no matter how fast your PC is, it will STILL be bogged down by spyware/viruses after a few months of normal usage. You can also tell them that Apple recently switched to Intel, and some think Apple is about to substantially gain marketshare. Microsoft is going down!

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
You can also tell them that Apple recently switched to Intel...
I wouldn't tell them that... they might want to hold off on their purchase then.

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2005, 06:55 PM

Macs are only superior in OS terms. PC hardware is cheaper, easier to get fixed and upgraded because of the high availability of local stores and there is more software for Windows. Because OS X is so good, I want to say it's worth it but the trouble I've got with my Mac Mini is making me seriously doubt it.

The main problem is a stupid hard drive problem that I can't fix myself because Apple made the machine as hard to open as possible. Non-upgradable graphics mean no Doom 3 for me and no core image support. The imac G5 is ok for performance but it's ugly IMO and the drive is in a dumb place. Also, no chance to upgrade the monitor or graphics.

The G5 imac will be good for most things though. I just wish they had made it better looking. The G4 imac was probably the nicest desktop I've seen from Apple. If they had made an aluminium G5 cube that would have been awesome.

If you are doing video stuff, there is nothing on the PC side that would compete for the price of the imac G5. Otherwise, think long and hard about what you will need from it in the future.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 4, 2005, 03:09 AM

You're expecting a mini, a $400-$500 computer, to play Doom 3? Acquire realistic expectations, friend.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kappa4life  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2005, 03:41 AM

Well, we went down to the Apple Store today and came home with a shiny new iMac. 17"/2.0/512/SD/WM&K/

Its beautiful, and it looks even better next to o my 12" PB. Ahh, I love macs. In a course of a month, I became a switcher and have purchased TWO new macs. Wow, im obsessed.

Josh

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2005, 09:29 AM

Congrats. I almost went with the iMac myself, but instead bought a PowerMac.

doucy2
Senior User
Jul 4, 2005, 09:34 AM

nice job
your parents will be happy in the long run, it will just take them a bit to adjust

osxrules
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
You're expecting a mini, a $400-$500 computer, to play Doom 3? Acquire realistic expectations, friend.
Heh, I'm actually playing Doom 3 on my Mini now. I guess that's poetic justice against me. Still, I can't upgrade a Mini to play Doom 3 well. I don't understand why they don't design the low end machines so they can be upgraded. Is it cheaper to design them so they can't or something? Seems to me like Apple are just marketing upgradability as a feature.

I don't know of a single PC that you can't upgrade pretty much every part of it from the motherboard to the graphics chips etc. It's a major hassle buying a new machine all the time when I could just get a cheap graphics card off ebay.

I really wish Apple hadn't shut the Mini case so well either. It's my machine, what difference is it to them if I void my warranty? 4 screws could have so easily held the Mini lid on but no, they choose some stupid plastic catches.

Meh, anyway I'm glad your happy with the imac. I'd upgrade the Ram pretty quick though. Tiger has a 256MB Ram minimum so 512MB won't really show off the G5's power.

Forum Links
Forum Rules