Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Antialiasing way too sharp

Antialiasing way too sharp
tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2006, 09:43 AM

Hi.

Just got myself a new PowerMac and a new display, been some four years since last time i upgraded so it was about time. First time i´m trying Tiger too. Anyway, i decided to get a brand new 23" Cinema Display and while it´s gorgeus to look at the antialiasing is too sharp for video. I get lots of jitter/artifacting when playing movieclips.

Seeing how most people complain about aliasing beeing too soft i guess i´m missing something and it is a combo beeing used heavily for multimedia so there´s got to be a solution. The specs, PM 2.3ghz, NVIDIA GF 7800GT, 23" Cinema Display.

Sooo...anyone else got this? Anyone know what steps i can take to soften this thing up a bit? Is there a "break in" time on these displays meaning it could get better by itself...or maybe i just should call the reseller?

Thanks!

(Oh, not sure if posted this in the right forum since it´s a part hardware, part software anomaly)

lenox
Senior User
Jun 26, 2006, 10:11 AM

You....got a new display, right?

Is it possible that the new display is much sharper than the old one? Have you tried using the new computer with the old display and the old computer with the new display?
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2006, 10:40 AM

You think your monitor is antialiasing your video?

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by wataru
You think your monitor is antialiasing your video?
Of course not
I´m only refering to this display for the record in case there´s a known possible software/hardware conflict. I assume the aliasing is down in OSX and the "problem" is lack of aliasing...too sharp. It´s fine for everything not moving but for moving media it gets too sharp = artifacts/jitter

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 11:31 AM

Okay, let's get some terms straight here ...

Aliasing = jagged/sharp lines
Anti-aliasing = the process of smoothing out jaggies through super-sampling/multi-sampling

Anti-aliasing = good
Aliasing = bad

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2006, 11:39 AM

Thanks!
See how i´m confusing the crap out of everyone

Simply put, i want more anti aliasing...smoother picture.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2006, 12:08 PM

You can not change the scaling algorithm for movies played in QuickTime nor can you change whatever a codec does to reduce artifacts (if anything). That is like it is. That you didn't see artifacts before tells you how bad your old display was.

tomra  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2006, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
You can not change the scaling algorithm for movies played in QuickTime nor can you change whatever a codec does to reduce artifacts (if anything). That is like it is. That you didn't see artifacts before tells you how bad your old display was.
Thanks.

The anti aliasing level i´m talking about is all over regardless of application i´m using which leads me to believe it´s either an OSX thing or the NVIDIA graphic drivers. Difference is that while using the finder, safari, photoshop or any other graphic application it does not really become annoying because nothing is moving, it just looks very crisp ( a good thing ).

I´ll call my local techsupport tomorrow...could very well be something i just need to get used to. Thanks anyhow

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2006, 05:09 PM

It sounds like the video clips you're playing are of very low quality.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2006, 06:02 PM

There is no antialiasing going on for anything but text. If your videos look crappy, you're probably watching crappy videos.

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 1, 2006, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by tomra
The anti aliasing level i´m talking about is all over regardless of application
Are you sure you're running at the Cinema Display's native resolution? It should be 1920 x 1200 on the 23".

Without really seeing your setup, my best guess as to why you're seeing strange scaling is that you're running at a resolution lower than that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules