Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Experiences with AirPort Extreme Base Station?

Experiences with AirPort Extreme Base Station?
Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2007, 12:39 PM

So my Linksys is dying. I have to do the turn-it-off-for-30-seconds-then-turn-it-back-on dance a few times a day, now. I'm considering getting the new AirPort Extreme Base Station, but I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with the previous base station models. How long has your unit lasted? How often do you have to power-cycle it? How well does it work in general? How about the wireless range?

Any information you guys have would be great. Thanks.

Turias  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 11:15 AM

Has no one had any experience with previous Airport Base Station models?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 7, 2007, 02:32 PM

Do a search here and you'll see a LOT of experience. IIRC most people are pleased with the performance and longevity of their AirPort hardware, including the "old" AirPort Extreme Base Station.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

quiklee
Senior User
Feb 7, 2007, 09:13 PM

The thing is friggin awesome. Connects really fast. Can view HDTV shows wireless between my iMac and Mac Mini setup. Can access all my movie files on the external via the extreme now too . . .
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2007, 09:44 PM

MrN79
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Turias View Post
Has no one had any experience with previous Airport Base Station models?
I have the "older" AP Extreme with antenna port. It's still working great...i've had the old extreme almost 2 years and today was the second time i've had to reset the system (push the tiny button in the back).

The "N" AP seems to be working great too, just got it up and running today...took some time to confingure it, but it's all working fine now.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

MrN79
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2007, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I've had success with my AP Extreme "G" and AP Express, so not sure what they're basing their experience on...and both of them are WEP.
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 02:41 AM

I verify that WEP and WPA both don't work with the XBox 360. When you have WEP or WPA enacted on the base station, the XBox can't even see the base station, nevermind get an opportunity to put in a password. I had to turn off all wireless security and create a closed network to get it to see the base station.

I can also verify that if you have WEP or WPA enacted, the TiVo Series 3 and Toshiba TiVo with DVD Player cannot establish an internet connection. If password protection is turned off, it establishes an internet connection successfully.

So it seems that it is a different problem, because the XBox can't even see the airport, the TiVos can see it, connect to it, but when it tries to acquire an IP Address it fails.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

MrN79
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2007, 05:31 AM

Just to clarify my response about WEP and AirPort...i used my PB in infrastructure mode to get my XBox 360 to connect wirelessly.

Yes it did work with WEP...of course i had to view password in HEX/DEX and input the PW in XBox 360 using the gamepad.
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2007, 04:35 PM

Apple - Support - Discussions - VPN and Airport Extreme (802.11n) ...

Apparently it's breaking a lot of VPN connections that the old Extreme handled fine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules