Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > AHHH!!! Too many fonts! Help!

AHHH!!! Too many fonts! Help!
Jolt21
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2007, 12:58 PM

Ok, so a while ago, i had a photoshop job to do, and felt like i needed some more fonts, so I downloaded some packs and installed them. It got me 4,400+ fonts...

dumbest thing i have ever done.

Now, applications that have to load font menus like photoshop and word take around 4 minutes to open. I have tried to go into the font book and remove some, but it takes 2 min PER FONT.

can i do a mass delete by just deleting the fonts from the library? It would make my life so much easier. i'm scared to that b/c i searched and didn't find anyone else doing it...

HELP!
blah

zro
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2007, 01:02 PM

Font Management - Simple, Smart, Free - Linotype FontExplorer X

It has a "Clean font library" option that will leave the default set. Not sure about the user library, though since that comes empty by default.

Plus it will keep track of your fonts and has auto-activate plug-ins for the "major" design programs (Adobe and Quark). Pretty nice for a free app.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2007, 04:06 PM

I posted this in another thread:

FWIW, I manually cleaned out all of my font folders. This means /Library/Fonts, ~/Library/Fonts, and even /System/Library/Fonts. I create a folder called "Unused Fonts" and put the ones I don't want to use in there. However, if you have installed any Adobe or Mircosoft apps, you also need to clean out /Applications/Office/Fonts, and /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts, as both Office and Adobe apps install a lot of Truetype fonts you don't need all the time. Be careful when cleaning out /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts, though, as there's a folder in there called "Reqd" which Adobe apps need to launch. Make sure you leave it in.

My font set up is:

Those are the basic fonts OS X needs to work, Monaco and Geneva, cause I like them and use them, Helvetica, which Excel needs in order to run (and it's my preferred font for Safari) and the two or three fonts NeoOffice uses. Anything else I turn on and off as needed with FontExplorer X. All of the extra Truetype fonts OS X and Office install are in a set called "Truetype", and all of the fonts I cleaned out of /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts are in a set called "Adobe Fonts". I can turn them on if I need to, but I almost never do.
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Forum Links
Forum Rules