Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bluetooth File Transfer Vista

Bluetooth File Transfer Vista
dave601
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2008, 10:14 PM

I am planning on building a desktop this summer. I love my Macbook Pro and it will continue to be my primary computer, but I want something for gaming and something to put Linux on.

Anyway, I am wondering if I can use Bluetooth to set up a network between my MBP and the PC in order to transfer files from each computer on a regular basis. For example, I start typing a paper on the PC, then want to transfer the file to my MBP. The PC would be running Windows Vista Business 64-bit. Is this at all possible? Thanks!

jogi
May 10, 2008, 07:20 AM

it will be too slow....

ghporter
Administrator
May 10, 2008, 07:27 AM

A $5 network card in the PC will save you about a billion dollars in frustration and wasted time waiting for BT file transfers. You CAN do it, but you also could arrange to have someone run you over with a golf course grass roller. Both would be slow and painful...

Seriously, BT transfer is great for getting stuff back and forth to and from your phone, but for a Word document, you'll be very unhappy with the speed. Just set up an Ethernet or wireless network and be done with it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

dave601  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2008, 03:21 PM

Alright, good to know. Bluetooth is out.

I will invest in a cheap switch or something of the sort. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules