Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread

Official Leopard 10.5 Bugs thread (Page 8)
tuqqer
May 11, 2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by DarkStarRed View Post
Umm Ok! I just tested this out & I found that if you click all at the same time it wont work.
On the other hand if you press ctrl, then comm, then D one after another it works all the time?
Glad that's working for you. I've tried it numerous times over the month, and still nothing. I've also tried changing the default "Look up in Dictionary" shortcut (located in the Keyboard & Mouse System Preference) to something else, and even back again. It's just not working.

It may very well be caused by some utility I have installed. For instance, I use Spell Catcher, great program, but I do think it operates at a fairly deep level. Could be something like that that broke it.
Leopard 10.5.x •• 2.66Ghz Mac Pro, 7 Gigs RAM •• dual 20 Samsung LCDs •• MacBook Core Duo 13" 2Ghz White

myhorsebelinda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2008, 02:30 AM

U-oh
( Last edited by myhorsebelinda; May 18, 2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: posted twice)

myhorsebelinda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2008, 02:31 AM

My most recent bug is: i lost all my passwords, they are in my keychain, but none of the applications can seem to find them. so even though i can see my mail password in my keychain, for example, mail always asks me for my password. I am running 10.5.2. If you know how to fix this without a archive & install, that would be great ( i have already had to archive & install leopard 5 times , and downloading all the updates on dial-up is ridiculous )
( Last edited by myhorsebelinda; May 18, 2008 at 02:38 AM. Reason: miss spelling)

Nergol
Dedicated MacNNer
May 25, 2008, 08:24 PM

Safari has lately been crashing when I try to quit it. I select Quit, get a beach ball, and eventually have to force quit. Pretty consistent lately.

Cold Warrior
May 25, 2008, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nergol View Post
Safari has lately been crashing when I try to quit it. I select Quit, get a beach ball, and eventually have to force quit. Pretty consistent lately.
That's not a Leopard bug. Sounds like a borked update, either system or Safari. Try resetting Safari, deleting caches and plist, and removing anything in Hard Drive/Library/InputManagers or ~/Library/InputManagers.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 11:40 PM

Seems to be a new TM bug with 10.5.3: backups failing with "Error 11".
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

rem
Forum Regular
Jul 10, 2008, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by StewBC View Post
I had the same thing more or less. After the upgrade, it looked like my machine had the same name, but when I logged into perforce, it said my workspace wasn`t valid. My machine identified itself as Macintosh.local when I typed hostname in terminal (which is not what it is called).
I am looking for a solution to the same problem. I have asked the Perforce server admin at work to try a few different server settings but we're still stuck. We tried "hostname.*" but no dice. When he changed my hostname to: hostname.local, then I could sync from home. However, when I bring my MBP to work and plug into the network there, my hostname becomes: hostname.domainnameatwork.local ...so without a better solution I'd have to pick either to sync from home or the office This does not occur, though, when I am logged into the office network from home using VPN. I cannot seem to get a stable host.domain name the P4 server will accept.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheap things are of no value, valuable things are not cheap.

drainyoo
Senior User
Jul 16, 2008, 09:18 PM

I get this weird bug every now and then but I have no idea what triggers it. It does seem to be happen when the computer wakes from sleep but I can't confirm that. You can see the image below. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

i hate project managers.

drainyoo
Senior User
Jul 20, 2008, 12:23 AM

So this isn't happening to anyone?
i hate project managers.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2008, 08:25 AM

It has happened to me a few times, but only following the installation of 10.5.4 - it might be related, but it could also be because of other software I have installed since then. No discernible pattern as to what causes it or why. It also only happens in one account at a time (other accounts open at the same time don't start to have the problem just because my account has).

Btw, I am assuming (as it isn't very clear from your screenshot due to the white background) that the problem is the missing background to the text label?

saiscribe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2008, 11:33 PM

I can't click on anything on my desktop after using firefox or photoshop CS3 without first clicking on the finder icon in my dock to make my desktop active again. anyone else have this problem? Could be third-party software. I am finding loads of little bugs from third-party software that used to work just fine!!!!

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2008, 04:24 PM

I have a few ongoing problems with 10.5.4. I had expected that Apple would sort them out this far into 10.5 but although some are "known problems" they are still not fixed. Some have been mentioned before:
  • Front Row will not connect to movie trailers on the internet. I have a Mac Pro connected via Airport. Apparently it needs a connection with ethernet for some reason.
  • My BT Mighty Mouse settings will not stick. I keep having to go back to system preferences because one or more buttons lose function.
  • My Mac Pro keeps waking from sleep in the middle of the night for no reason. I believe that the culprit here is Apple drivers for my UPS. I never saw this problem before they were included in the OS and it does not happen when I unplug it overnight.
  • Airport connections sometimes do not automatically happen and sometimes ask for my password, even though I have checked the box to remember it and keychain contains it.
  • Connection to my work WPA enterprise Wi-Fi network is very flaky. With good signal strength the connection to the network will drop out at random and will then reconnect when it feels like it. Very annoying bug reported all over the Apple discussion boards for ages.
  • Spaces behaviour makes no sense at all. If I want one Pages document in one space and another in another then let me do it. I do not want all windows belonging to an application to follow the one I drag over!
  • There is an annoying bug in FileMaker which occurs when Spaces is used (may be FileMaker's fault). If the application is opened in one space then the window moved to another a pop-up calendar will cause Spaces to go back to the original Space, leaving the FileMaker window, and making it impossible to enter a date without moving the window back into the Space Filemaker was originally opened in.
  • Want to override a setting in a non-admin account? Now you have to use the short admin username rather then the user name you type in when you log-in. This was never the behaviour in previous versions. Winds me up every time I have to do it and confused me completely when I first had to do this after upgrading.
  • etc. etc.

Some of these problems are annoyances. Some actually make it hard to get work done without getting in the way, especially the loss of Wi-Fi connection. Apple had better get some of these fixed in 10.5.5

ttreen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2008, 09:21 AM

"Safari --> Preferences --> Tabs --> "Always Show Tab Bar" IS MISSING!

Am I alone in always wanting to see the tab bar?"

No, you're not alone. Bring the option back!
( Last edited by ttreen; Aug 18, 2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Subject omission)

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2008, 03:56 AM

It's in View -> Show Tab Bar
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules