Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > system issues, best way to recover/reinstall

system issues, best way to recover/reinstall
mephastopholes
Feb 13, 2009, 02:24 AM

Hi all,
I've got an ol' 15" aluminum powerbook w/ a battery that evidently has neared the end of its cycle. Last weekend, it shut off on me w/o warning. i plugged it back in but had to hard reboot. Quirky stuff started happening after that: it became sluggish when switching between apps, the ical alarms would get "stuck" even after quitting the app, lost my airport connection... took it to the local apple store and was told that the system files may be corrupted and to do an erase and install.... which i've done but am still having similar issues... i'm unclear on how to transfer my old files and apps w/o potentially transferring system files over? Should I have done an archive and install instead?
help??
Thanks in advance...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2009, 04:41 AM

If you don't have a full backup of all your data, make one NOW.

Pronto.

I'd use the Disk Utility from the Install Disk to verify/repair the internal disk, and then install using Archive/Install.

mephastopholes  (op)
Feb 13, 2009, 10:33 AM

Yes, I do have a time machine backup. Problem is after I did an erase and install and transferred files over via time machine, i still had similar issues w/ the sluggish system etc... should I just be transferring over particular files from time machine in order to avoid this or use a backup file from a day or two prior to this occurence?
otherwise, I'll try the "archive and install option" after work today...
Thanks

mephastopholes  (op)
Feb 16, 2009, 12:57 AM

well, i got everything back up and running and up to speed with the archive and install... worked perfectly, however, quicktime pro has now been downgraded to the original quicktime. i can't find the original registration # or a way to reinstall or redownload w/o paying again?
any suggestions?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2009, 04:57 AM

Find a key online. I don't think Apple cares anymore at all; the rumors is that QuickTime Pro will be included in Snow Leopard. It is not worth paying for again.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

jogi
Feb 16, 2009, 11:39 AM

Check the link below to retrieve your key:

http://store.apple.com:80/Catalog/US...e_faq.html#q10
Macbook Pro Unibody 2.4Ghz

Forum Links
Forum Rules