Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > What out iPhone: Nokia N9 WP7

What out iPhone: Nokia N9 WP7
freudling
Banned
Oct 26, 2011, 01:31 PM

Well, who knows. But this phone looks great. Yes, it doesn't have a front facing camera and only a single core... but the test is how it performs real world. Camera shutter speed, web browsing, etc.

I know some people will come on here and troll and flame... but people are going kinda crazy over this phone... that there MIGHT finally be a solid alternative to the iPhone.

You can criticize WP7 all you want... the secret to success is not a zillion devices... it's one, perfect, awesome device. The N9, or shall I say, Lumia, might be it.

The thing that is really good about WP7 is that it does perform better than Android on my tests. The Web browsing, scrolling, etc... MS really knows what it's doing here with hardware acceleration. Android has just ended up being a total train wreck.

Nokia Lumia 800 hands-on (video) -- Engadget

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 01:37 PM

It's the best chance for Windows Phone 7 so far, but it's such an uphill battle for Microsoft that at this point they'll be lucky to ever go beyond a niche.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 26, 2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's the best chance for Windows Phone 7 so far, but it's such an uphill battle for Microsoft that at this point they'll be lucky to ever go beyond a niche.
The thing that separates MS from pretty much everybody else out there: they have money to burn. They can afford to throw money at this for years and not go away.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Agreed. Three years late and mostly copying. However I hope they at least gain some share because competition is good.

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
The thing that separates MS from pretty much everybody else out there: they have money to burn. They can afford to throw money at this for years and not go away.
Also agreed. However their churn-the-OSs and churn-Office and make-deals-from-strength business model has run its course, so where future money to burn comes from is in serious doubt after Win7 is fully populated. MS has lost about a third of shareholder value in just 4 years.

WP7 success is very, very important to MS.
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 26, 2011 at 01:52 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Agreed. Three years late and mostly copying.
I disagree.

Windows Phone may fail at a number of things, including the market space (I'm hoping it won't), but it *is* original.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2011, 01:50 PM

Not a bad looking phone, but why does the video say 3.9" screen when the text says 3.7"?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2011, 02:04 PM

It's a CRT — the discrepancy is viewable area vs. tube size.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2011, 02:10 PM

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 26, 2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
Not a bad looking phone, but why does the video say 3.9" screen when the text says 3.7"?
To err is human...

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Windows Phone may fail at a number of things, including the market space (I'm hoping it won't), but it *is* original.
Seems to me it mostly just does what the competition introduced 3 years ago. Sure some effects are varied (tiles) and yes the underlying OS bones are new for MS and solid, but what folks see and get is just another (IMO good) smart phone doing what smart phones do - but delivered 3 years late.

I just hope they achieve enough share to keep some competition going.

-Allen

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2011, 02:35 PM

Can't help feeling its like someone mated an iPhone with an iPod Mini, aesthetics-wise. Not that thats a bad thing. It definitely has an Apple-like quality to its appearance.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 04:49 AM

I'm getting addicted to using Siri, and nothing else will do.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2011, 05:35 AM

Seems to me it mostly just does what the competition introduced 3 years ago.
The interface is unlike anything else, AFAICS.

cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
MS has a lot of money but they pulled the plug on the Zune which wasn't a bad music player...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2011, 01:15 PM

But it was brown.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 27, 2011, 02:42 PM

Seems to me it mostly just does what the competition introduced 3 years ago. Sure some effects are varied (tiles) and yes the underlying OS bones are new for MS and solid, but what folks see and get is just another (IMO good) smart phone doing what smart phones do - but delivered 3 years late.

I just hope they achieve enough share to keep some competition going.

-Allen
The point is that it's a unique interface: not just a grid of cartoon icons. I like iOS, but I don't want only 1 option in the world, as much as I like Apple. This Lumina with WP7 is compelling on the surface I haven't used it yet with WP7 so I'll reserve judgement until then. But I have tried the Meego version of the N9 and it was sick. I loved it. And I hate pretty much all the other tech out there besides Apple because most of it is junk. But this is one of the few things non-Apple I like.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 27, 2011, 02:51 PM

Wow...

I can't believe the Apple fanboy David Pogue is praising WP7 7.5. Either he is getting paid a lot of money by Microsoft to write this or he really does like it.

Windows Phone 7.5 is gorgeous, classy, satisfying, fast and coherent. The design is intelligent, clean and uncluttered. Never in a million years would you guess that it came from the same company that cooked up the bloated spaghetti that is Windows and Office.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/27/te...-art.html?_r=1

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2011, 03:20 PM

I can't believe the Apple fanboy David Pogue is praising WP7 7.5
Is Pogue a Fanboy ?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Oct 27, 2011, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Ya BS. Just because you take a critical paragraph out of review examples doesn't mean you're showing that you're not a fanboy. He's known as a fanboy. The fact that he's tried to defend himself against being labelled a fanboy speaks volumes.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2011, 05:35 AM

Why should anyone give any credit to the myths spouted by people which best work is to google bing 'david pogue', find out he has wrote a bunch of books on Apple software and hardware, did work for some mac magazine, et cetera enough to justify themselves to themselves from saying that nonsense he is such a tool stuff.?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 31, 2011, 06:00 PM

WP7 is pretty good. Its definetly a different breed of OS. For once it feels really simple.. even sometimes more than iOS. It´s also pretty responsive and the marketplace even though is smaller compared to the App Store and Android´s it has enough apps to do just about everything. And hardware wise, Nokia phones at least to me are really top notch. They are very well built. To me its right up there to iPhones and Sony.. everything else is on a second tier.

Forum Links
Forum Rules