Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone 3GS restarting itself :(

iPhone 3GS restarting itself :(
kcheleb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2011, 12:01 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I apologize if this is not the proper place to post this .. I would like some help please

I have an 8GB 3GS iPhone with iOS 5.0.1 installed,
Lately I’ve been experiencing a problem with the iPhone that I noticed started when I installed iOS 5.0.
I thought updating to 5.0.1 would fix it but it hasn’t and the problem is still there

Basically my problem is that the iPhone keeps restarting/rebooting itself every 5 or so minutes. What’s funny about this is that this ONLY happens when I’m in this one area…my classroom in the basement at school
Whenever I am anywhere else the phone does not do this. However, as soon as I go to that classroom my phone will start restarting/rebooting itself every 5 minutes. One thing about that classroom is that I get absolutely no signal there, or if I am lucky then I may get 1 bar for a few seconds before it disappears.
This problem is really driving me crazy and I’m not sure what to do. I tried restoring the iPhone but that did not fix the problem, and like I said I updated to 5.0.1 and hoped that it would fix the problem but it hasn’t.
When I was on iOS 4 this problem never occurred
NOTE: my iPhone is not jailbroken, I have not jailbroken it with iOS 5 or 5.0.1

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Anyone else experiencing this problem?

kcheleb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2011, 05:09 PM

Just an update on the situation. When I went to class today I put the phone on airplane mode before going in and the phone still kept restarting during class

When I left class I turned airplane mode off and the phone restarted maybe 1 or 2 times after that and then it was fine, stopped restarting ...

Also, my phone isn't under warranty so I wouldn't be able to take it to Apple

kcheleb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2011, 03:01 AM

Just another update on this situation actually, when I put my phone on airplane mode .. the phone starts restarting itself as well, and this happens no matter where I am. If I put my phone on airplane mode at home for instance it will begin restart itself just like it does in that classroom where I have no signal. This problem definitely lies with the signal .. it seems like 0 signal causes the phone to restart every 5 minutes ..

Cold Warrior
Nov 23, 2011, 08:21 PM

When you restored, did you restore from backup or set up as a new iPhone?

Have you tried resetting network settings from the iPhone?

kcheleb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
When you restored, did you restore from backup or set up as a new iPhone?

Have you tried resetting network settings from the iPhone?
How do you do that? and I think I did both before

My iPhone is no longer under warranty .. I am not sure what to do

When I put my iPhone into airplane mode it starts restarting itself as well

Doesn't it cost $30 just to speak to someone over the phone for Apple support?

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2011, 06:06 PM

I know that when a computer reboots itself randomly, it's often a bad power supply or overheating. Perhaps a temp sensor is faulty. I don't know how you'd diagnose that or even what the fix is. Might try replacing the battery though.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2011, 05:37 PM

Sounds like a bug to me. Maybe when you have no signal the iOS 5 tries to switch antennas and or conserve battery power and restarts itself in order to start looking for a signal.

If I were you I would record the happening and speak to an Apple guy and show them what happens.

Forum Links
Forum Rules