Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad 3 vs. Nexus 7: No Contest...

iPad 3 vs. Nexus 7: No Contest...
freudling
Banned
Jul 19, 2012, 09:26 PM

Ok so many of you know how anti tweener tablet I am. I've spent the day with the Nexus 7.

I'm impressed with it: performance is very good. I haven't seen as good performance on any other Android device.

However, it's still a **** sandwich compared to iOS. iOS is faster and more smooth full stop.

7": It's cool the lightness and smallness... but you soon realize how hard it is to resist picking up your smartphone to say, type this post. My Nexus is sitting on the table and I'm typing this on my iPhone. Now I'm dictating this. One handholding with thumb typing is also too hard to resist. And so is the Retina screen. It's impossible for me to use non Retina screens now. The Nexus 7 has a nice screen but it's grainy compared to Retinas.

What I'm saying is I only feel like I want to use this to read a novel: other than that, it's virtually useless. My smartphone make up a lot of my daily computer use, my iPad for the couch, my laptop for work.

Nexus 7: Meh.

I bet many others have ended up already where I am with this tweener. You'll be sitting there using it, browsing the web wondering why you're holding something so small with 2 hands. Then you'll realize it's too big to browse with 1 hand and thumb scroll yet you'll feel like it's the retarded version of your smartphone. I have a much better browsing experience on my iPhone. Right next to me right now is my Nexus 7 and I'm using my iPhone. I don't even want to use the Nexus.

Do my famous 30 min. test. Hide your other go to devices and pretend this is all you have. Use it for 30 min. like you have nothing else in your life. If you come out of that 30 min. feeling good, then keep it.

What this is in my opinion is a glorified eReader. Good for reading novels and that's it. I miss my iPad and iPhone terribly when I use it.

Wrong form factor and Androud doesn't hold a candle to iOS: the inmates are running the asylum in Android.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2012, 04:21 AM

It's gonna be fun to watch you rave about the 7" form factor if the much rumoured 7" iPad shows up.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 20, 2012, 09:01 AM

I won't because tweeners are useless. I've been trying to use my Nexus 7 for a few days now and I hate it. I just use my iPhone and when I really want to scale up my iPad. This thing isn't good at anything, Jobs was right.

iCal it: in 6 weeks sales of the Nexus 7 will fall off of a cliff.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2012, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
iCal it: in 6 weeks sales of the Nexus 7 will fall off of a cliff.
Of course Nexus tablet sales are likely to fall off in the next few months. Apple leaks regarding the midsize Apple tablet (the "tweener" that you repeatedly insisted would never exist) will intensify and/or we will see an outright midsize announcement from Apple. Also MS will pimp some more Surface tablets FUD out, and Win8 RT will be getting lots more press. Many potential tablet buyers will postpone purchases until they see what Apple and MS are up to.

Note that none of those reasons have anything to do with the validity of midsize or with how good the Nexus is or is not.

Please do not try to fool folks into thinking what a good forecaster you are. Your dozens of posts insisting Apple will never make a midsize tablet or a larger iPhone have blown that concept all to h*ll.

You miss the fact that just because you personally do not see a market for midsize does not mean that there is not a market for midsize; or the fact that Jobs felt 9.7" was best at v1 does not mean that he believed that by v4 there should still only be one size.

Do my famous 30 min. test. Hide your other go to devices and pretend this is all you have. Use it for 30 min. like you have nothing else in your life. If you come out of that 30 min. feeling good, then keep it.
Sorry but your test is neither famous nor logical. It is like saying you have a toolbox and the way to evaluate whether you should buy a hammer for your toolbox or not is "Use it for 30 min. like you have nothing else in your life. If you come out of that 30 min. feeling good, then keep it."

Very few folks buying tablets today will have only one tool in their toolboxes or only one computing device in their lives. Evaluating as if that was the case would be illogical.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 20, 2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Of course Nexus tablet sales are likely to fall off in the next few months. Apple leaks regarding the midsize Apple tablet (the "tweener" that you repeatedly insisted would never exist) will intensify and/or we will see an outright midsize announcement from Apple. Also MS will pimp some more Surface tablets FUD out, and Win8 RT will be getting lots more press. Many potential tablet buyers will postpone purchases until they see what Apple and MS are up to.
Note that none of those reasons have anything to do with the validity of midsize or with how good the Nexus is or is not.
Please do not try to fool folks into thinking what a good forecaster you are. Your dozens of posts insisting Apple will never make a midsize tablet or a larger iPhone have blown that concept all to h*ll.
You miss the fact that just because you personally do not see a market for midsize does not mean that there is not a market for midsize; or the fact that Jobs felt 9.7" was best at v1 does not mean that he believed that by v4 there should still only be one size.
Sorry but your test is neither famous nor logical. It is like saying you have a toolbox and the way to evaluate whether you should buy a hammer for your toolbox or not is "Use it for 30 min. like you have nothing else in your life. If you come out of that 30 min. feeling good, then keep it."
Very few folks buying tablets today will have only one tool in their toolboxes or only one computing device in their lives. Evaluating as if that was the case would be illogical.
Failure is failure. I could leak a rumour that Microsoft is going to release some awesome phone and it wouldn't really slow down sales of stuff that people really like, like the iPhone. And MS already has shown their Surface tablet: nobody cares. Everybody keeps buying smartphones and the iPad: stuff people like and/or need.

With the Kindle Fire, there wasn't the frenzied rumour of an iPad Mini like there are now. It failed because it failed: because nobody needs it.

If the Nexus 7 were that good, if 7" tablets were that good, people would be buying them in droves like they'd buy a razor thin $5 100% efficient 6' x 6' solar panel. But they're not because nobody needs them. No amount of rumours or delusion will detract away from this. There's a ton of crappy smartphones sold everyday: it shows that even though something may be crappy, people buy it because there is a real need for it. No matter how good you make a tweener through, it'll fail because the form factor is a dead end.

And blown what to hell? Apple neither has an above 3.5" smartphone on the market, nor do they have a tweener tablet. This is fact.

And if you don't believe that, then here's a hard prediction for you: Apple WILL NOT release an iPad Mini. If they do, it'll fail and be the biggest mistake of Tim Cook's career. iCal THIS and come back by the end of the year. That the rumours are controlled leaks to confuse their competitors and take attention away from Google and their Nexus 7 tablet.

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2012, 03:15 PM

I used for sometime an Android phone. To have a tabled with Android is definetly a no-no. That OS is definetly not finished. Hardware wise (Motorola Defy) is top notch, but the OS at least to me is unifinished. The Xoom tablet looks also really nice.. BUT in all sincerity the OS leaves much to be desired. I´m attracted to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.. looks awesome, but the darn OS keeps me from being more interested.
Now then.. a tablet with Windows 8 that would be great. Hopefully Nokia builds a tablet with windows.. I would buy one in a heartbeat. Obviously I tried Windows Phone 7.5 and it really is a neat OS. You can feel easily that is way beyond Android.
For the record I own an iPad I an iPhone and a Win Phone.
And well coming back to the topic in hand.. iOS blows Android away. It works better, its apps feel that are programed with quality in mind and they are even cheaper bis a bis. To me iOS on any size beats any Android tablet.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2012, 06:58 PM

iCal it:
  • As 7" iPad rumors increase, Nexus 7 sales will start to drop
  • Not long after, Nexus 7 2.0 will be announced.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 20, 2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
iCal it:
  • As 7" iPad rumors increase, Nexus 7 sales will start to drop
  • Not long after, Nexus 7 2.0 will be announced.
7" iPad rumors have likely peaked. This has nothing to do with the success of tweeners. None of them have been successful for the past several years: this Mini rumor stuff mostly just started this year.

Mark this: Apple will not release an iPad Mini and tweeners will fail... eventually, people will stop making them for any market but people who simply want to use them to read. They'll end up being $125 junk readers like eInks.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 21, 2012, 10:11 AM

Here are comparison pictures between what content looks like on the Nexus Sexus and on the iPhone 4S. Content looks BETTER on the iPhone and in some cases content is rendered bigger on the iPhone. The Sexus just adds weight and size: it's not really better at anything compared to my phone. It has little reason to exist.

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv116/freudling/Suck%20It/

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 11:44 PM

Cool story bro

The Travelocity site is the iPhone site on both, that's why there is space around the buttons in the middle of the screen.

It rather see a mobile site on a phone screen, fitting the desktop site to a 3.5" screen is not 'better'.

Macrumors has a mobile site, you didn't use it on the iPhone.

I really can't wait for a 7" iPad to be released now, so that you can forget this ever happened and think it is the best thing ever .

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 22, 2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Cool story bro
The Travelocity site is the iPhone site on both, that's why there is space around the buttons in the middle of the screen.
It rather see a mobile site on a phone screen, fitting the desktop site to a 3.5" screen is not 'better'.
Macrumors has a mobile site, you didn't use it on the iPhone.
I really can't wait for a 7" iPad to be released now, so that you can forget this ever happened and think it is the best thing ever .
It would never happen unless Apple wants to make the biggest mistake since the Newton.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2012, 08:11 AM

He's stuck in his e-zine world, trying to justify it.

My iPad 2 failed that test for me. However, it was successful for my GF.

Shocking, isn't it? Different people have different preferences. Whodathunkit?

---

I'm not buying an iPad 3. I've been keeping my eyes open for a 7" tablet. The Nexus 7 is close but unfortunately, like the iPads it doesn't support external flash memory.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 30, 2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
He's stuck in his e-zine world, trying to justify it.
My iPad 2 failed that test for me. However, it was successful for my GF.
Shocking, isn't it? Different people have different preferences. Whodathunkit?
---
I'm not buying an iPad 3. I've been keeping my eyes open for a 7" tablet. The Nexus 7 is close but unfortunately, like the iPads it doesn't support external flash memory.
Whatever e-zine is. Sounds old school like you.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2012, 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=freudling;4180772]
...Sounds old school like you.
This coming from the person who fails to see the _huge_ midsize tablet market space.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 30, 2012, 03:48 PM

This coming from the person who fails to see the _huge_ midsize tablet market space.
Sure I fail to see it.

A market that doesn't exist.
A market where everyone has struggled to gain any ground at all.
A market that nobody needs.

Apple just upped its tablet market stake by 8% to 68%. It's getting worse for tweeners, not better. They're a deadend category, even if Bloggers think it's "cool".

"But, freudling, if Apple makes it, everyone will be buying one." I bet you everything that it would fail, even if Apple made the most amazing tweener ever.

And the reason is simple: in a rare moment of honesty, I believe Jobs was "honest" because in my experience this statement is bang on:

"The 7-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad."

My Nexus 7 continues to collect dust, and much of the world around me:

1. Goes to work everyday
2. Eats and sleeps
3. Walks, baths themselves
4. Talks on the phone and text messages
5. Surfs the Web

If any of you tweener proponents think there's some glorious market out there where people will fit such a device into their life, you're dreaming. It's smartphones most of the time, laptops and desktops for real work, and the iPad for the couch.

iCal it, I can't wait to see the looks on the "Oh my god the iPad Mini is coming" faces when it doesn't happen. I will bet anyone here $100 it doesn't happen. I'll set the deadline for the end of the betting period 11:59 pm December 31, 2012. 1 second after this time, the game is over and losers pay up via Paypal. I lose if and only if Apple is shipping an iPad Mini by this time.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2012, 06:23 PM

I bet many others have ended up already where I am with this tweener. You'll be sitting there using it, browsing the web wondering why you're holding something so small with 2 hands. Then you'll realize it's too big to browse with 1 hand and thumb scroll yet you'll feel like it's the retarded version of your smartphone. I have a much better browsing experience on my iPhone. Right next to me right now is my Nexus 7 and I'm using my iPhone. I don't even want to use the Nexus.
Wait till you're 50. You won't find the 4" iPhone screen a pleasure. As much as I love my iPhone looking at the tiny screen gives me a headache. I see plenty of market for a 7" tablet. It's much more portable than the 10". It's a great size for kids as well. I suspect Apple would sell millions of them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 30, 2012, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
As much as I love my iPhone looking at the tiny screen gives me a headache.
Ditto

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2012, 08:48 PM

iCal it, I can't wait to see the looks on the "Oh my god the iPad Mini is coming" faces when it doesn't happen.
Do you imagine that look on the "Oh my god the iPad Mini is coming" faces will be something like the look on YOUR face when the 5" iPhone (bordering on tweeter status itself) failed to show up? I believe you practically "iCal'd" that as well ...

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 30, 2012, 09:15 PM

Do you imagine that look on the "Oh my god the iPad Mini is coming" faces will be something like the look on YOUR face when the 5" iPhone (bordering on tweeter status itself) failed to show up? I believe you practically "iCal'd" that as well ...
I did iCal that? I think YOU did, as well as trademarked the face.

Either take the bet or go BS somewhere else.

$100 the Mini doesn't show this year.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2012, 07:33 AM

[QUOTE=freudling;4180855]
Either take the bet or go BS somewhere else. $100 the Mini doesn't show this year.
1) Such betting is probably illegal, or I would have bet against you months ago.

2) Your statements ad nauseam were that there would never be a midsize iPad, not a bet as to when it would exist. Nice try.

3) You also repeatedly claimed there would never be a larger iPhone.

We will see on both counts. As I stated months ago (with reasons ad nauseam) IMO you will be wrong on both counts.

-Allen

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2012, 08:13 AM

Allen, you add your text AFTER the close-quote tag.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 31, 2012, 08:17 AM

1) Such betting is probably illegal, or I would have bet against you months ago.
2) Your statements ad nauseam were that there would never be a midsize iPad, not a bet as to when it would exist. Nice try.
3) You also repeatedly claimed there would never be a larger iPhone.
We will see on both counts. As I stated months ago (with reasons ad nauseam) IMO you will be wrong on both counts.
-Allen
No, I don't think they'll be a Mini in the foreseeable future. I put a time limit on it for the purpose of betting. What's the point of betting if there is no end?

Right, now you get it. Go ahead and put your money where your mouth is.

Nice try...

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Allen, you add your text AFTER the close-quote tag.
Interesting, the comments text is after the tag:
4726/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2012, 10:19 AM

Sorry freudling but after for months claiming Apple would not make such a device you cannot suddenly weasel your prediction away to become simply "won't ship until after 11:59 pm December 31, 2012."

Back in March my response to you was "Not "today," but within 12 months from today, most likely H2 2012. Release date timing is affected by variables we are unaware of."

I stick with that March 2012 prediction.

-Allen

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 31, 2012, 11:35 AM

Sorry freudling but after for months claiming Apple would not make such a device you cannot suddenly weasel your prediction away to become simply "won't ship until after 11:59 pm December 31, 2012."
Back in March my response to you was "Not "today," but within 12 months from today, most likely H2 2012. Release date timing is affected by variables we are unaware of."
I stick with that March 2012 prediction.
-Allen
Sorry SierraDragon, but YES I CAN.

And on your prediction, March 2012 eh?

And if you want to bet $100 they won't release a Mini by March 2012, you're on.

If you want to bet they won't release a Mini by March 2013, you're also on. Must be shipping by March, 2013. As soon as April hits, and no Mini is shipping, you'll be shipping me $100. If I lose, I'll ship you $100.

Want to take the bet?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2012, 12:36 PM

And on your prediction, March 2012 eh?
Sorry if my words were unclear. My prediction was made in March 2012 for a midsize tablet within about a year; that would be by March 2013. At that time I felt H2 2012 was most likely, and I still do.

Does your newfound willingness to bet release dates mean that you now disavow your previous lengthy arguments that the midsize space is a dead end and therefore Apple would not make a "tweener?"

If you want to bet they won't release a Mini by March 2013, you're also on. Must be shipping by March, 2013. As soon as April hits, and no Mini is shipping, you'll be shipping me $100. If I lose, I'll ship you $100. Want to take the bet?
I would love to take that bet but it is probably illegal or against forum rules to wager money, and it would be really dumb to do something illegal or against forum rules in a public forum. So I will just stick with my 2012Mar prediction.

Note that if Apple ships a midsize tablet April, May, whatever 2013 it would still validate my arguments of earlier this year and invalidate your arguments of earlier this year. The ship date argument is just ship date, not whether or not the midsize will be viable (I said yes, you said no).

Another specific prediction: the argument that midsize is a useless market space will be proven wrong by 2013 sales data (that is if we can ever get access to meaningful sales data... ).

Whatever happens it will be interesting to see.

-Allen

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 31, 2012, 01:53 PM

Sorry if my words were unclear. My prediction was made in March 2012 for a midsize tablet within about a year; that would be by March 2013. At that time I felt H2 2012 was most likely, and I still do.
Does your newfound willingness to bet release dates mean that you now disavow your previous lengthy arguments that the midsize space is a dead end and therefore Apple would not make a "tweener?"
I would love to take that bet but it is probably illegal or against forum rules to wager money, and it would be really dumb to do something illegal or against forum rules in a public forum. So I will just stick with my 2012Mar prediction.
Note that if Apple ships a midsize tablet April, May, whatever 2013 it would still validate my arguments of earlier this year and invalidate your arguments of earlier this year. The ship date argument is just ship date, not whether or not the midsize will be viable (I said yes, you said no).
Another specific prediction: the argument that midsize is a useless market space will be proven wrong by 2013 sales data (that is if we can ever get access to meaningful sales data... ).
Whatever happens it will be interesting to see.
-Allen
Tweeners are a deadend and will never get any reasonable marketshare. That's my prediction.

As for your March 2013 Mini date: you're now setting sail for fail. iCal it. If I win, you will be rendered invalid and must rip off your shirt and run up the block yelling "Tweeners suck! Freudling's right".

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2012, 02:18 PM

freudling-

Sorry but this discussion all along has been about the viability of billion-person market segment, not about a specific ship date.
You want to redefine your commentary of the last 6 months but it does not work that way. Like I said:

The ship date argument is just ship date, not whether or not the midsize will be viable (I said yes, you said no).

If Apple makes no midsize or if midsize sales fail you will have been correct. If Apple makes a midsize and midsize sales do well you will have been incorrect.

The results will likely be fairly obvious a year from now one way or the other.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2012, 02:33 PM

Also note that personally I am not enamored with some specific iPad size as the specific solution to need for midsize. To me the idevices get confusing in the midsize space (and yes, confusion is a negative for the space, and that supports your premise). E.g. when does a tablet become a phone? Lots of folks use iPads as phones already via Skype.

A 5-8" iPhone maybe meets the midsize need. Or some other nomenclature. My argument is re: size, not whether it is an iPhone, an iPad or something else entirely; a new iTab.

-Allen

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 31, 2012, 03:05 PM

freudling-
Sorry but this discussion all along has been about the viability of billion-person market segment, not about a specific ship date.
You want to redefine your commentary of the last 6 months but it does not work that way. Like I said:
The ship date argument is just ship date, not whether or not the midsize will be viable (I said yes, you said no).
If Apple makes no midsize or if midsize sales fail you will have been correct. If Apple makes a midsize and midsize sales do well you will have been incorrect.
No, wrong. You are twisting things. I predict tweeners are NOT viable. Ever.

But that isn't any way to live without timelines now that betting is in place. So, based on what you just said:

So then, let's set it 1 year from now: not shipping by July 2013? Pay up pal.

And does that mean that tweeners are a failure if Apple doesn't ship a Mini by this time? No, but I predict that:

1. Tweener sales will be in the dumpster no matter what happens, now, or anytime in the foreseeable future.
2. If Apple releases one, it'll fail miserably.

So there you go, bet's on?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Jul 31, 2012, 03:07 PM

Also note that personally I am not enamored with some specific iPad size as the specific solution to need for midsize. To me the idevices get confusing in the midsize space (and yes, confusion is a negative for the space, and that supports your premise). E.g. when does a tablet become a phone? Lots of folks use iPads as phones already via Skype.
A 5-8" iPhone maybe meets the midsize need. Or some other nomenclature. My argument is re: size, not whether it is an iPhone, an iPad or something else entirely; a new iTab.
-Allen
Let me help you:

tweener |ˈtwēnər|
noun informal
a person or thing considered to be between two other recognized categories or types.

Smartphones are not tweeners, neither is an iPad.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2012, 09:25 AM

[quote name="freudling" ]

Smartphones are not tweeners, neither is an iPad.[/quote]

What ever are you talking about? A new ~6"-8" iPad would not qualify as your "tweener???"

In any event my comments refer to a midsize idevice based on size and running iOS. The size being something in the range of ~5"-8" display measured diagonally. Maybe it has phone capability or maybe it does not; or maybe phone is an option. With many of the same 100k+ apps (including VOIP) available on what we today call iPhones and what we today call iPads, iDevices are moving into overlap mode IMO. What vendors or convention choose to name such midsize devices is irrelevant to me.

-Allen

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 11:43 AM

freudling-

Sorry but this discussion all along has been about the viability of billion-person market segment, not about a specific ship date. .
Actually, that "billion people" is a number that is very much in question, here.

I'm thinking more along the lines of a couple tens of millions.

But Apple is on track to sell a couple HUNDRED million iPads in the not too distant future.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 1, 2012, 11:55 AM

What ever are you talking about? A new ~6"-8" iPad would not qualify as your "tweener???"
In any event my comments refer to a midsize idevice based on size and running iOS. The size being something in the range of ~5"-8" display measured diagonally. Maybe it has phone capability or maybe it does not; or maybe phone is an option. With many of the same 100k+ apps (including VOIP) available on what we today call iPhones and what we today call iPads, iDevices are moving into overlap mode IMO. What vendors or convention choose to name such midsize devices is irrelevant to me.
-Allen
Yes, 5-8" about right in size.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 11:55 AM

I'm thinking more along the lines of a couple tens of millions.
Seems pretty good to me.

But Apple is on track to sell a couple HUNDRED million iPads in the not too distant future.
A couple of tens of millions is higher than the number of all Macs combined that Apple sold in fiscal 2011.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 03:06 PM

But it's certainly not a large enough market to throw a comparatively low-margin product at - if that estimate is realistic.

Macs start at three to five times the rumored wishful-thinking entry level for this supposedly lucrative segment.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 1, 2012, 03:10 PM

Seems pretty good to me.
A couple of tens of millions is higher than the number of all Macs combined that Apple sold in fiscal 2011.
It's diminutive when compared to their real iPad and iPhone market.

But regardless, nobody actually knows what the market size is for an Apple iPad Tweener because they haven't released one yet. In my opinion I of course am led to believe it'll fail because the form factor is wrong.

If we look at the existing Tweener market it's a flow of between 10 to 15 million unique users who have bought Tweeners over the past 2 years. The real problem though, outside of the small sales numbers, is profit generation off of users, return rates, use rates, and sustained sales.

There's data that shows that nobody has made any real money off of Tweeners. Zero. They sell at close to or a loss and content purchases haven't been enough to offset cost of sales... direct and indirect costs, etc. Devices that were supposed to explode and put Tweeners on the map like the Fire have failed miserably. But their eInk Kindles do well: a focused, cheap reader.

What the data shows, when you look at surveys, Internet usage logs, sales numbers, annual reports from those selling the devices, return rates, humans in the wild and what they use... Tweeners have failed to capturing any significant market share and have also failed at generating any kind of real economy.

I'd love for Tweeners to take off because my business would get better but I've had to be brutally honest about these devices. That they're just not compelling and offer no real value over a smartphone or an iPad. Even if 5-10 million geeks become persistent users of the devices it's not worth investing development time and money into because the 1 billion person market is the smartphone and the iPad is a 60 million device sales a year thing.

For what it's worth, I keep trying to use Tweeners. I just blew the dust off of my Nexus 7. Picked it up and was going to write this post with it. I tried to do that. But I ended up putting it down and am using my iPad. I'm about to run a few errands and hit the gym. Will I bring my Tweener? Of course not, I've got my iPhone. Over the past week having the Nexus 7 around reaffirms what I already thought: Tweeners are a complete waste.

I understand some geeks in here wanting them to play with but I guarantee the Nexus 7's sales will fall off of a cliff in 2 months and that Apple won't bother releasing an iPad Mini... And if they do it'll fail simply because nobody needs it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 04:40 PM

But it's certainly not a large enough market to throw a comparatively low-margin product at - if that estimate is realistic.
Macs start at three to five times the rumored wishful-thinking entry level for this supposedly lucrative segment.
That was the argument against the iPod shuffle.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2012, 04:47 PM

I understand some geeks in here wanting them to play with but I guarantee the Nexus 7's sales will fall off of a cliff in 2 months and that Apple won't bother releasing an iPad Mini... And if they do it'll fail simply because nobody needs it.
Ah, so now you're beginning to back-peddle on your guarantee that Apple will never release a "tweener".

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 1, 2012, 05:15 PM

Ah, so now you're beginning to back-peddle on your guarantee that Apple will never release a "tweener".
Ah, so now you're projecting what you want to see and here.

No, Apple will NEVER release a Tweener. But of course I don't know for sure shat they will and won't do. So in the case that they do release one, it'll fail. That is, if all of a sudden they get stupid, then it'll be a big mistake.

But all things being Apple, Apple will not release a Tweener because they're useless.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2012, 06:14 PM

No, Apple will NEVER release a Tweener.

But of course I don't know for sure shat they will and won't do. So in the case that they do release one, it'll fail.
These are contradictory statements.

If Apple doesn't release a "tweener" you can say "see, I was right!".
If Apple *does* release a "tweener" you can say "see, I wasn't wrong!".

You're copping out on your "guarantee" of "NEVER" and are clearly not as certain as you'd like us to believe.

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 1, 2012, 07:46 PM

These are contradictory statements.
If Apple doesn't release a "tweener" you can say "see, I was right!".
If Apple *does* release a "tweener" you can say "see, I wasn't wrong!".
You're copping out on your "guarantee" of "NEVER" and are clearly not as certain as you'd like us to believe.
Wrong wrong wrong.

Your logic is faulty.

Prediction 1: Apple will never release a Tweener.
Prediction 2: 1 is wrong if and only if Apple doesn't release a Tweener. In which case see prediction 2: the Tweener will fail.

So there you have it. I've made 2 predictions. Predictions are based on all things being equal and my predictions are valid. If things are not equal where Apple makes a stupid decision then prediction 2 takes effect.

Unless you're willing to take the $100 bet on either prediction of your choosing your just wasting people's time.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2012, 09:21 PM

Ah, but this is the first time you've ever actually positioned you statements as predictions. Previously, you've always positioned them as fact. "Apple will NEVER release a tweener" is not a prediction; it's a definative statement that allows zero room for alternative. "I dont think Apple will release a tweener" is a prediction.

Now that you're trying to put money on the table, you seem to be also trying to hedge your bet.
I wonder if you also tried to put money on the table with your definitive statement that the 2011 iPhone5 (released as the iphone 4s) was going to have a larger screen?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2012, 10:08 PM

My recall was that freudling said Apple would never make a larger iPhone. Which was it f? Or need we look it up?

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 1, 2012, 10:11 PM

Ah, but this is the first time you've ever actually positioned you statements as predictions. Previously, you've always positioned them as fact. "Apple will NEVER release a tweener" is not a prediction; it's a definative statement that allows zero room for alternative. "I dont think Apple will release a tweener" is a prediction.
Now that you're trying to put money on the table, you seem to be also trying to hedge your bet.
I wonder if you also tried to put money on the table with your definitive statement that the 2011 iPhone5 (released as the iphone 4s) was going to have a larger screen?
No wrong. You need to take a logic and grammar class. Will... the use of which is predictive because it refers to a time period that hasn't happened yet. Therefore as much as one might make its use sound like a fact - having conviction based on a set of indicators - there is no 100% certainty that something will happen in the future due to multiple variables. It does NOT need to be qualified with anything like I think or I predict. All of this is implicit and if you're a native English speaker and don't know this as implicit you might want to learn some more about the language.

Bottom line: based on everything I know the following statement I make: Apple will not. Apple will never release a Tweener. Ever. The reason behind this is simple: nobody needs them. Anyone can disagree with this and anything in the world can happen.

Are. You. Taking. The. Bet? $100 no Mini by July 2013.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2012, 11:45 PM

That was the argument against the iPod shuffle.
And Apple's solution was to omit the display.

I suppose that would be an option...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2012, 05:23 PM

My recall was that freudling said Apple would never make a larger iPhone. Which was it f? Or need we look it up?
Definitely convinced that the 2011 iPhone would be a larger display.

freudling"]
Amazon is going to be in for a big surprise when the era of 4" smartphones gets ushered in with the iPhone 5.
But the problem is this: the 7" screen is too much of a tradeoff over a 4" smartphone like the iPhone 5 to be valuable to consumers.
I'm confident that 4" smartphones like the iPhone 5 are going to effectively kill the 7" tablet, a category that has completely failed thusly.
The 4" iPhone 5 is going to kill any remaining hope for the 7" tablet.
[/quote]

freudling  (op)
Banned
Aug 2, 2012, 06:18 PM

Definitely convinced that the 2011 iPhone would be a larger display.
First, how is this relevant to my prediction that a tweener is dead in the water, specifically an iPad Mini?

How is this relevant to you either taking or not taking my bet?

Answer: it isn't. You're just derailing the thread and distracting people. You're not actually genuinely interested in this topic. Your sole motivation is to argue with people, isn't that right Wiskedjak?

Bottom line: Tweeners are dead in the water... The Nexus 7 sucks. There is no market for a Tweener. I've been saying this all along as you've pointed out.

That's it. End of story. You've iCal'd it and we'll come back and see if I'm right.

Do you want my Nexus 7? You pay postage and I'll send it to you.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2012, 06:29 PM

First, how is this relevant to my prediction that a tweener is dead in the water, specifically an iPad Mini?
It speaks to the reliability of your predictions.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2012, 07:41 PM

Do you want my Nexus 7? You pay postage and I'll send it to you.
I'd take him up on this, Wisked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules