Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DAILY OS X crashes!!!!

DAILY OS X crashes!!!!
yuliang
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 01:28 AM

In the past month, my OS X system has crashed at least once daily. For the first year of using OS X, I could brag about how stable it is and etc, but now I really don't know.

By the way, I am running 10.1.5 with all the latest patches. It's a PowerBook G4 550 with 512 MB RAM.

Well first of all, these aren't really "crashes" in the strict sense, but we might just as well call it crashes. Here's what happens, I am switching between apps or launching a new app, and the computer would go into a permanent hang, where the beachball would spin forever and processes would screech to a halt, while the hard drive spins non-stop. I have waited upwards to 20 minutes in some instances before I'd force reboot.

While it's "hanging", I could still login from remote terminals using SSH, but the response would be extremely slow. The command prompt will show up about 2 minutes after username/password, and every subsequent command takes minutes, if ever. It would be nice to be able to use "top" thru this and kill some proccesses, but I can't even do that.

I haven't not found a specific app to blame either, but mostly it happens when I have a lot of apps open, maybe about 15? It has happened during launches of Photoshop, Palm Desktop, iTunes, Terminal, IE, Mozilla, etc, so I don't see any patterns. Therefore I am assuming this is the OS's fault.

For the past 3 weeks, I have had to force reboot the machine at least once a day. I have not been able to troubleshoot and find the culprit.

Has anyone experienced this or know any possible symptoms?

Man, I can't wait for Jaguar. Hope that lives up to the hype.
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -
Titanium PowerBook G4/550 - X 10.2
Beige PowerMac G3/500 - X 10.1
HP 751n P4/1.8GHz - XP Pro SP1

ZnU
Aug 9, 2002, 04:30 AM

How much disk space is available? OS X does very bad things if it needs to swap to disk and there's no space.

If that's not the problem, it's probably flakey hardware or a corrupt OS installation.

Aussie John
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 04:48 AM

Sounds like a memory thing

If you have more than one RAM chip take out one and see if it stops the crashing ( or the other one).
Also run the hardware diagnosic software that comes with the mac.
John

trash80
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 05:32 AM

well if you can log into it do a ps -ax (i think - not at home so i can't remember exactly the syntax) and kill some of the apps, that might regain control for you. (kill by using the kill command of course)

moss514
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by Aussie John:
Sounds like a memory thing

If you have more than one RAM chip take out one and see if it stops the crashing ( or the other one).
Also run the hardware diagnosic software that comes with the mac.
I agree, sounds like a ram issue. Do what this guy says
My pants are fancier than yours!

yuliang  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 09:51 AM

I checked the RAM using the Apple Diagnostic test and TechTool Pro, and neither reported any problems. Plus, the RAM chips ran fine before this month.

These RAM chips are also the same speed and type. PC133 3-2-2

10.2's coming out soon so I don't think it's worth my trouble to install a fresh 10.1 system.

About the hard drive, I have about 2 gigs free...

sigh, this sucks
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -

Chuckmcd
Senior User
Aug 9, 2002, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by yuliang:
I checked the RAM using the Apple Diagnostic test and TechTool Pro, and neither reported any problems. Plus, the RAM chips ran fine before this month.

These RAM chips are also the same speed and type. PC133 3-2-2

10.2's coming out soon so I don't think it's worth my trouble to install a fresh 10.1 system.

About the hard drive, I have about 2 gigs free...

sigh, this sucks
have you run fsck in single user mode? I know that's kind of an obvious solution, but the only times X slows down or acts funny for me is when the disk has an error on it. I have exact same configuration and i've been running all those same apps.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2002, 09:59 AM

Runs some utilities SW like norton and Disk Warrior. Run these from either a seperate OS 9 partition or from a Repair CD you make up. It should fix several problems. I do this all the time when OS X seems flaky and it seems to fix it. Also check the RAM you could have a bad RAM chip there. Pull them out one by one and see how it works then you will know.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

yuliang  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 02:54 PM

I did the fsck -y while booting into single user mode, by holding down cmd-S at startup, no errors in the hard drive.

Disk Utility, DiskWarriror, Norton, TechTool Pro and Drive 10 found no errors....
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 03:45 PM

Try to see when the crash is happening by monitoring the memory consumption. You said this happens with too many apps, so it might be some kind of mem/vram issue. Keep a top open from your remote login, and open another remote login from where you can kill stuff. Then start opening apps, and notice the memory consumption in top. Now, if OS starts crying the moment you consume off all the RAM, then it has to be some kind of motherboard problem with your system not being able to deal properly with ram->vram.
I don't know though, this is my opinion.
- Ravi

IonCable
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2002, 05:02 PM

I would also look at any hacks and mods you've done to the system. I put a theme on my system and had about 5 KPs in a week until I got rid of it. Check what apps you have running all the time like Desktop Console I've heard can cause problems for some.
"This is fun, right?"

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2002, 06:40 PM

Sounds like your TiBook's been KellyHogan'ed...

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2002, 07:40 PM

I've never tried it but if you keep escape pod (Done by Ambrosia) up in the background, hitting ctr-alt-delete (backspace) you kill the topmost app (Which because of UNIX and it's nice values is the one that's allowed to eat up the CPU power) I donno. It may be worth a try.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2002, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by raviruddarraju:
Try to see when the crash is happening by monitoring the memory consumption. You said this happens with too many apps, so it might be some kind of mem/vram issue. Keep a top open from your remote login, and open another remote login from where you can kill stuff. Then start opening apps, and notice the memory consumption in top. Now, if OS starts crying the moment you consume off all the RAM, then it has to be some kind of motherboard problem with your system not being able to deal properly with ram->vram.
I don't know though, this is my opinion.
ravir, just to clarify, you're talking about a virtual memory issue, correct? I think you're right - this sounds virtual memory related. The original poster stated that there's a lot of disk thrashing going on, and that means an abnormal amount of paging. OS X should not act in the manner you're describing no matter what the load. It sounds like a clean install is in order. I know I wouldn't put up with such terrible performance. (On a side note, you may want to check your disk fragmentation level.)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2002, 04:52 PM

I had some bad memory once that only malfunctioned when the computer was running too hot. If I kept it cool, or removed the bad RAM module, the computer ran perfect again. Might be something to consider. . .

Brad

Telusman
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2002, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I had some bad memory once that only malfunctioned when the computer was running too hot. If I kept it cool, or removed the bad RAM module, the computer ran perfect again. Might be something to consider. . .

Brad
Well, Apples diagnostics are nice, but Symantecs are better, when your running disk doctor, are you doing a surface scan? I know my iMac did this a lot and low and behold there were multiple bad sectors on the disk. If OS X is attempting page to, or read from a bad sector on the drive, its very possible it would cause a hang like this as it attempts to recover the data ( most unix's have automatic sector recovery where it will attempt to write the data elsewhere.)

I think it would be worth waiting for 3 hours as a full surface scan completes. Perhaps it might show something interesting. Also, it would be worth it to see how many pagefiles have been created, Swapfile0 swapfile1 etc. When i had OS 9 installed i used to delete the pagefile every once in a while to give the system a fresh start, this can also be done in single user mode so long as your rebooting directly aftewards.

As far as i know, if there is a 1, 2. 3 or more swapfiles, OS X will page to them all, not just one. What apps are running? Ive seen a few apps go run-away, like Fire has done once or twice, is there a common app running when this happens, as in, is there one app that your running every time this happens (other than the finder) Whats your CPU usage? Whats using it? Is it a user level process like IE or is it the window manager, or the kernel tasker?

these are all questions worthy of asking before looking for a hardware solution.

- TelusmanX

Forum Links
Forum Rules