Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LaserJet 1200se and X?

LaserJet 1200se and X?
ginopiazza49
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2002, 05:08 PM

I am in the market for a laser printer (that works with Mac OS X). When I go to the HP web site and look up "entry level" printers I only see the LaserJet 1000 and the LaserJet 1200se. The LaserJet 1200se is Mac compatible, however, the recommended system requirements are Mac OS 8.6 - 9. Could it be that HP has not updated their site and the LaserJet 1200se really is Mac OS X ready, or should I look at something else?

I am also looking at the HP psc 750 all-in-one. Has anyone had any experience with it?
Gino J. Piazza
Port Chester, NY

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2002, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by ginopiazza49:
I am in the market for a laser printer (that works with Mac OS X). When I go to the HP web site and look up "entry level" printers I only see the LaserJet 1000 and the LaserJet 1200se. The LaserJet 1200se is Mac compatible, however, the recommended system requirements are Mac OS 8.6 - 9. Could it be that HP has not updated their site and the LaserJet 1200se really is Mac OS X ready, or should I look at something else?

I am also looking at the HP psc 750 all-in-one. Has anyone had any experience with it?
The LaserJet 1200 series printers are MacOS X compatible. I have one and it works great. HP's site architecture sucks, which makes it hard to find anything. Here's the URL to the driver.

There are two rows in the table for MacOS X. The first is to get the CD. You don't need this. The second is to download the software. This is what you want.

Note that the 1200 and 1200se are the same physical printer so the driver is identical. I believe it's just the Windows software bundle that is different. Given that you're using a Mac, buy whatever 1200 series printer you can find cheapest.

You might not need to install the driver with 10.2 anyway. HP provides drivers with the OS. I had to install the driver a long time ago but I've never upgraded it since then so either the old one has kept working or it's been upgraded by HP in the OS distributions.

Mike

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 28, 2002, 11:08 AM

There's no need to download the driver in 10.1 or 10.1.5. The 1200se is just plug and play. I haven't tried it with 10.2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules