Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 Install crashes everytime on Beige G3

10.2 Install crashes everytime on Beige G3
yuliang
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2002, 06:56 PM

I have a PowerMac Beige G3 with a 500MHz ZIF processor upgrade, and with 768MB of RAM I added after buying my comp, so there are the specs.

My problem: my 10.2 Jaguar install from CD (full retail CD) crashes every time, at the point where it says (Installing Essential System Software) or something along those lines. I've tried Upgrade, Erase & Install, and Archive and Install. I've also wiped the HD, installed 10.0, then upgrade to 10.1, then try to upgrade to 10.2. All ends with the same result. Screen blacks out, system locks. The only way to revive it is to do the cmd-ctrl-power sequence.

Anyone else have this problem?
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -
Titanium PowerBook G4/550 - X 10.2
Beige PowerMac G3/500 - X 10.1
HP 751n P4/1.8GHz - XP Pro SP1

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 2, 2002, 07:25 PM

I think I've heard something about memory being the problem. Try removing the non-stock ram and see what happens.

good luck,

lw

yuliang  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2002, 08:03 PM

There really is no stock RAM to remove...y'see, I have 3 sticks of 256MB DRAM. The "stock" RAM was a single 32MB, I dont' think OS X will install on that. =)
Anthony Wu
- - - - - - - - - -
Titanium PowerBook G4/550 - X 10.2
Beige PowerMac G3/500 - X 10.1
HP 751n P4/1.8GHz - XP Pro SP1

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by yuliang:
There really is no stock RAM to remove...y'see, I have 3 sticks of 256MB DRAM. The "stock" RAM was a single 32MB, I dont' think OS X will install on that. =)
I'd still try removing two of them, and installing with just one of the 256 meg dimms installed. X will certainly install with 256 megs of ram, and maybe it's just one of the dimms causing the problem...good luck!

--J

Anand
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 2, 2002, 09:54 PM

Had the same problem with several computers. The ram was the problem. Remove as much as you can and see how it goes. One bad 128 MB ram module mad all the difference.
Yes, I know I could buy a PC, but why?

Forum Links
Forum Rules