Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > What's the best way to edit a DVD?

What's the best way to edit a DVD?
Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 10, 2005, 05:28 PM

Okay... I have pirates of the carribean on DVD... good movie, except for the glaring god awful line by that chick :

"If you like pain, try wearing a corset!" smack.

UGH
MOAN
YUCK
AWFUL.

So I'd like to import the DVD somehow, edit the footage, remove those few seconds, then reauthor and burn a DVD. And no, I'm not a freak. A few other people who own the DVD are interested in a 'modded' version also.

What programs should I use for this? I was thinking handbrake.... then use quicktime to convert to .DV... then open in imovie.. .but it'd be nice to keep the same menus as the original.

Any ideas?

- Rob

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2005, 06:29 PM

I had written out a wonderfully worded reply to this when iCab crashed as I was getting the necessary links, so here's the abbreviated, written-while-slightly-annoyed version.

Converting DVD -> DivX/MPEG-4 -> DV is quality killer. If you have the Quicktime MPEG-2 component you can use MPEG Streamclip to cut out what you don't want, there is a free mpeg editor called mpgtx (search VT), but I don't know if it's reliable.

The menu's are hard, no good editors on OS X, direct copy (of the .ifo files etc.) may/may not work, might need to have the title in the same number of pieces as on DVD disc.

Don't forget the 4.something GB limit on DVDs, unless you have DL media + burner.

Captain Egotist  (op)
Banned
Mar 10, 2005, 07:40 PM

Hrm.

Dang. That sounds like a lot of things I don't have.

Forum Links
Forum Rules