Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Maintaining your powerbook

Maintaining your powerbook
V12
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2005, 03:48 PM

ok just a quick question

what do you use to clean fingerprints and such off the screen of your powerbook.

what do you use to clean the fingerprints and other such grease and sweat off the aluminum case?

what do you use to clean the keys and trackpad?

just wanna know, thankss

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2005, 05:24 PM

Warm water and a lint free cloth does it for me. Once a week (sometimes twice) for the entire PB, but 3-4 times a week for the palmrest and keys. I've seen horror stories where the handrest start losing paint due to palm sweat and I try to keep that as clean as possible. Also once a month, I go over the entire PB, sans the screen, with a antibacterial wipe for good measure....I really baby this stupid thing too much then it deserves .
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

blicked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 07:06 PM

So do you also use a screen cover? My previous book got a pretty bad stain on the screen from the keyboard, and no amount of washing would get it off. For my new book, I'm being really anal/paranoid, and am using an AcmeMade screen wrapper thing whenever I close it.

Is that going too far? Do you (iRez) do something along the same lines, or does just the washing do the trick?

LORL
Mar 12, 2005, 08:06 PM

Just use your laptop. Or search for the hundreds of threads about this if you feel the need to keep it cleaner than you keep yourself

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2005, 02:48 AM

I used to use the liner that came with the book itself, and then I replaced that with a lint free paper towel (not reg paper towel but some special stuff the pressman use at my workplace to clean machinery). I haven't used any of these methods for the last 6 months, just doesn't concern me as much as it used to. I got something similar to Radtech wildeepz and they definetely keep the screen off the keyboard, then again I do have a 12" where key marks have never really been an issue to begin with.

V12  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2005, 04:15 AM

yea the radtech screensaver cloth works well for finger prints on the screen..

is something like 409 or windex good for hte alum casing ?

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2005, 05:24 AM

I wouldn't bother with formulas, but I don't think it'll do any damage if applied once a month or so. Stick with water and if needed for some reason, a little bit of soap (heavily diluted with water), that should do the trick.

jlhopwo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by V12:
yea the radtech screensaver cloth works well for finger prints on the screen..

is something like 409 or windex good for hte alum casing ?
yeah, the radtech rocks!
http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2005, 01:57 PM

I try to keep things as simple as possible. Basically I use a lint free cloth every few days for a quick dry clean of the screen. Then on over the weekend I use another lint free cloth that I wet with water no solutions or anything and then I dry my computer of with a hand towel. My weekend cleaning consist of wiping the keyboard, the keys especially the spacebar, the trackpad, palm rest and finally the top and bottom of the laptop. Another thing you may want to keep in mind is do not use the same cloth more than two or three times that you used to wipe your keys and palm rest with before washing or replacing. The oil residue can build up over a period of time on your cloth.

This simple yet effective formula keeps my laptop extremely clean and streak free every time I take my laptop into my local Apple Store the guys over at the Genius Bar comment on how clean it is.

Voch
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 02:52 PM

I'm curious as to what AlBook owners do to take care of your keyboards. I like that I can remove the keyboard from my TiBook to scrub it and clean the gunk between the keys with canned air. Is the AlBook keyboard stationary enough that it can be cleaned like that in-place?

The only other thing I'm worried about when I finally upgrade to aluminum is the handrest black dot stuff, but I keep my TiBook clean and it still looks great so it shouldn't be that big of a deal...

Voch

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 15, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by V12:
ok just a quick question

what do you use to clean fingerprints and such off the screen of your powerbook.

what do you use to clean the fingerprints and other such grease and sweat off the aluminum case?

what do you use to clean the keys and trackpad?

just wanna know, thankss
1. Cheap windex, called "great stuff"
2. Cheap windex, called "great stuff"
3. Cheap windex, called "great stuff"

Muffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 10:28 AM

I found tons of good products at ShaggyMac.com I use my screen protector everyday.
MBP 15.4" 2.4 | iMac 20" 2.4 | Mac Pro 2.66 | 17" iMac G5 iSight | PM Quicksilver 867 G4

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2005, 12:58 PM

Don't use any type of windex for you Powerbook LCD. Stick with water.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Mar 15, 2005, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Don't use any type of windex for you Powerbook LCD. Stick with water.
Bah.

Forum Links
Forum Rules