Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > WDS on new extreme and airport disk

WDS on new extreme and airport disk
hangarbum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 06:43 PM

i went ahead and dropped the hammer on the new extreme before i actually have any N devices. so, i'm not too worried about the slowdown of all my G stuff on the network, but it seems to have some difficulty with WDS and my old express set up to extend the range. has anyone else had this issue?

also, i'm not thrilled with the airport disk. i have a 500 gb LaCie and the traffic seems to go in surges, the speed isn't great, and when using it to back up my iPhoto library, it dropped the transfer about 80% into it.

hangarbum  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2007, 07:43 PM

after reading about 10 pages of posts on here about the new extreme, i went back and reset the express, added it again, and then quit and reopened airport utility. it seems to be working now, but that seems like a strange microsoft-ish thing to do to make it work.

i also retested the airport disk, it started off at about 2 MB/sec, but stalled out after 109 MB, just under a minute.

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2007, 10:26 PM

I wonder if the Airport disk uses Bonjour to mount the Airport disk. Given how easy it is to setup, it just might be. With that, I know that iChat will crap out on large transfers over bonjour. Coincidence? Who knows...

Does anyone know what protocol Airport disk is actually being served under?

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

mickeymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2007, 12:18 PM

WDS has been the one stumbling block that I've had with the new router. It doesn't appear to work properly with my Airport Express boxes. I can roam around, but the lights flash yellow - so, something's still off. My guess is that we'll see an update soon that will address some of these birthing issues.

Other than that, all is well. Clients connect without issue and the attached printer works flawlessly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules