Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > U.S. Citizens Polled...

U.S. Citizens Polled...
spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 03:58 PM

Poll: Majority Support Iraq Attack

How do you like them apples?

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 04:05 PM

Statitstically, half of all Americans are of below-average intelligence.

I thought you-all conservatives were down on the "poll-driven" Clinton administration, since public opinion shouldn't drive policy-making. Now, you're using polls to support Republican policy agendas. Hypocrisy?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 11, 2003, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by chris v:
And here comes the bizarro rationalizations.

I thought you-all conservatives were down on the "poll-driven" Clinton administration, since public opinion shouldn't drive policy-making. Now, you're using polls to support Republican policy adgendas. Hypocrisy?

CV
No, I think he was being a smart-ass.
I could be wrong though.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2003, 04:08 PM

Actually, they're below-median intelligence, not necessarily below-average (this might also be true, but that would be a coincidence). I wonder what the median is, anyway?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I wonder what the median is, anyway?
50th percentile.

CV

edit: actually, I though 100 was supposed to be the median IQ. Don't have any clue how all that was arrived at, or whether it means a thing.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Feb 11, 2003, 04:10 PM

I was never polled, so it's bullshit.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 11, 2003, 04:11 PM

Yeah Us stupid Americans. We need to do smart stuff like invent most of the technology you use today.

Oh wait...

rampant
Banned
Feb 11, 2003, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Yeah Us stupid Americans. We need to do smart stuff like invent most of the technology you use today.

Oh wait...

Oh wait... that was Japan. DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 04:12 PM

CV
Funny and true

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 11, 2003, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
BZZZT wrong.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 04:14 PM

Or bomb the civilians of some small third-world country back to the stone age...

statistically, half of america's poulation is above the median intelligence. I just don't trust simple two question polls to inform important policy-making, and I thought conservatives didn't either.

Oh, and lose the idiot thumbs-up. It's gotten a tad old.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 11, 2003, 04:17 PM

Oh, and lose the idiot thumbs-up. It's gotten a tad old.
Yes sir

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 04:21 PM

Well half drool and sleep with their cousins and the other half makes Buicks.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 11, 2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Well half drool and sleep with their cousins and the other half makes Buicks.
You Canadians taught us well.

At least we aren't known for our rim jobs.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 04:33 PM

You Canadians taught us well.

At least we aren't known for our rim jobs.
Don't get it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Kitschy
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 04:38 PM

Wow, Zim, you have quite a fan club.

You speak, and all of Lounge-dom listens.

Kinda funny actually.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 11, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Don't get it.
You haven't heard about the Canadian Rim Job?

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 04:42 PM

Ooooo! Hey! Is this another bash America thread?!?!
Wheee! What above average intelligence fuuuuun!
Ahem. Once again. IRONY.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 04:57 PM

You haven't heard about the Canadian Rim Job?

You mean that whole blackberry thing?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 05:00 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Ooooo! Hey! Is this another bash America thread?!?!
Wheee! What above average intelligence fuuuuun!
Ahem. Once again. IRONY.
Unbunch those undies, uncle bundy.

We all us Americans are guilty of hypocrisy, every day. Id doesn't mean I don't love the whole buncha' yoos guys like bruddas.

I'd fight to defend Zim's right to voice his opinion, whatever it might be. We've got a great country here, and hopefully, we can keep it that way.

CV

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 05:04 PM

This thread looks like becoming another flamefest.

I'm not American and I don't support the war at any costs for the simple reason that this planet has enough killing and bloodshed and sure as fukk doesn't need even more, but I respect the right of Americans to support their leaders positions if they feel like it. It is their right based on what they know, and probably more importantly, what they feel.

That said, I think most of the politicians "managing" the crisis (read: manipulating) do not deserve the oxygen they breathe.

1.Bush: I'm not so sure he's as dumb as he's made out to be. I think he is actually fairly sharp witted even if not particularly wise. His economics are, however, strange to say the least, as his budget deficit is higher than the sum owed by Brasil to the World bank and the IMF, at the same time as cutting taxes and raising military spending. I think he is being manipulated to a certain extent by two men to whom the word "evil" does no justice:

2.Dick Cheney, Mister "let's do a deal". This is a man who has very strong connections. Given that this is a man who had a debatable part in the Enron desaster, what is the deal he is wanting to make here, considering that most of his life has been in the energy industry.

and

3.Donald Rumsfeld, an old hack at poltical skullduggery, deception of truth (Google: Rumsfeld, Artichoke, MKultra, anthrax, frank olsen, richard nixon, 1973, cia, congressional investigation, Saddam Hussein, Iran-Contra), willingness to kill, lie and abuse his position of power to protect his position. To my mind an absolutely ruthless person who has no feelings for his fellow humans whatsoever.

4.Saddam Hussein: A fan of Adolf Hitler, one of the worlds biggest butchers of human beings. He has managed to hang on to power for over thirty years by murdering anyone who would do as little as criticise him. A mass murderer who ordered the use of poison gas on rebellious portions of his own population. An absolute power crazy megalomaniac who dragged his country into two major wars in twenty years. He won the first with financial and military help from just about every country in the region and further afield, all of whom feared a bearded old man by the name of Khomeini and his popularity in the muslim world. His victory was partly achieved with the massive use of chemical weapons supplied by his mentors abroad. Those same mentors attacked his army and country after he started the second war, which he lost. I'm sure that no language has abusives enough to describe the mental state of this man.

5.Gerhard Schr�der. His use of the crisis won him an election at a time when his incompetence in running his own economy was becoming increasingly apparent. He might very well be against the conflict on humanitarian reasons, but his electorate is much more worried about high taxes, soaring unemployment and increasingly useless measures to improve the situation at home.

6.Jaques Chirac. Never someone to be accused of integrity, this is the same man who ignored world opinion in the middle 90's to test 6 nuclear weapons in the pacific and who has manged to avoid having to appear in court on charges of taking bribes during his term as mayor of Paris. His opposition to the war is more easily attributed to his keen sense of public opinion than his moral foundations.
weird wabbit

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 05:06 PM

Good - remind me you said this next time someone brings up getting rid of the Electoral College or says Gore won the popular vote.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Feb 11, 2003, 05:10 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Jul 5, 2004 at 12:13 AM. )

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 05:14 PM

Or bomb the civilians of some small third-world country back to the stone age...
Who has proposed bombing civilians? Were you alive during the last Gulf War? Were you around when Afghanistan was liberated from the Taliban?

Very few Iraqi civilians will be killed, unless, of course, Saddam uses them as "human shields." And, if he does so, that's not the bomber's fault, it's the one hiding behind the civilian.

And I will go ahead and guess that the number of civilians (non-combatants) killed in BOTH Afghanistan and Iraq will total less than 3019. (That number is what I could find as the final death toll of 9/11 not counting hijackers.)
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 11, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Good - remind me you said this next time someone brings up getting rid of the Electoral College or says Gore won the popular vote.

rampant
Banned
Feb 11, 2003, 06:04 PM

imafreak
Feb 11, 2003, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by rampant:
Most of the technology used today is from America. American's are the most innovative people on earth. Japan may make alot of stuff, but the ideas come from the USA!

Zarqawi's Stump
Banned
Location: Festering in a mobile bioweapons facility somewhere inside Iraq as they use my flesh to culture anthrax.
Feb 11, 2003, 06:30 PM

so when the polls were neither in favour of nor against war (with americans expressing a guarded, wait-a-bit view), the left-wing infidels didn't make a peep about the intelligence of the American people.

Now that the polls are against your views, you people can't wait to insult the intelligence of the citizens of the Great Satan.

Look in the mirror if you want to see the real idiots.

Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Were you around when Afghanistan was liberated from the Taliban?
Ya that is exactly why the US did it, to free Afghanistan from the Taliban

That was just gravy.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 06:32 PM

I thought you-all conservatives were down on the "poll-driven" Clinton administration, since public opinion shouldn't drive policy-making. Now, you're using polls to support Republican policy agendas. Hypocrisy?

CV
For most conventions (like grading purposes in college statistics classes), average is anyone who falls within the first standard deviation. That is, the 33.5% below and above the calculated average, encompassing about 67% of the population.

In my statistics class, anyone who's point total falls into the middle 67% of average total points achieved. I you happen to fall into the upper half of the second standard deviation, you will get a B, if the lower half, a D, and if you happen to achieve anywhere above the second standard deviation, you get an A, or if you fall below the lower half of the second standard devaition, you Fail.

Anyway, for most purposes, "Average" is the middle 67% since half of a population rarely actually falls below the acutal mean.

Donate your spare cycles - join TeamNN today!
Remember to check the Marketplace!

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 06:47 PM

Nice try, but there is no hypocrisy here. The Bush Administration position has been the same all along, even before these polls were taken. Clinton, on the other hand, would alter his agenda daily as a result of these polls.

Big difference - one leads, the other followed.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Nice try, but there is no hypocrisy here. The Bush Administration position has been the same all along, even before these polls were taken. Clinton, on the other hand, would alter his agenda daily as a result of these polls.

Big difference - one leads, the other followed.
I agree. I was going to point that out, actually, but I have a job which requires me to work, sometimes.

Clinton: Ask pollsters what to do, then do that.

Bush: Do whatever the hell he wants, then employ whatever Orwellian double-speak and propaganda is neccessary until public opinion swings his way.

I think they both stink, but then I voted for Nader. Really just a protest against the leftish corporate stoolies, and the rightish corporate stoolies.

Opinion polls can be abused either way, and I tend not to trust them, even if they seem to indicate a trend I agree with.

FWIW, I'm officially sick of arguing politics for this week. Think I'll stick to the silly threads for a few days.

Peace,

CV

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 07:43 PM

Oh wait...

(i agree with his sarcasm on this point though...Americans did invent the assembly line(which i personally dont seeas a 'good' thing per-say), airplanes, submariens, ICs, computers in general, etc...) but that dosent give us the right to push other nations around. thas imho.

oh, and just so, i dont seem like im taking sides.....coming up with the stuff, dosent mean 'manufacturing and supplying' the stuff, which is what most third world or "developing countries"(what a lie) do. so, guess what, without the third world we wouldnt have anythign anyway.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2003, 07:54 PM

and hey... lol...just in case u guys havent noticed..... there's going to be a war regardless of what polls say, or what foreign nations say, etc....so why argue over it's legitimacy ? lol

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 11, 2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
and hey... lol...just in case u guys havent noticed..... there's going to be a war regardless of what polls say, or what foreign nations say, etc....so why argue over it's legitimacy ? lol
Some people in here just like finding things to complain about here lately it seems. I'd rather hear them complain about this than say, the usage of the word irony, or how using caps is offensive.

rampant
Banned
Feb 11, 2003, 08:45 PM

Some people in here just like finding things to complain about here lately it seems. I'd rather hear them complain about this than say, the usage of the word irony, or how using caps is offensive.
This is the pot calling the kettle black.

Forum Links
Forum Rules