Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Terror alert sounds pretty damn real...

Terror alert sounds pretty damn real... (Page 2)
davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
Hmm, we have several days worth of soda, plenty of food, and light- and fire-making implements. Even without any disaster preparation, I think we're ok.
AL-CO-HOL (n.) An essential for survival when in a closed space for extended time with the same damn people.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
http://homepage.mac.com/mindfad/.Pictures/nukewarningkids.jpg

Heh, funny

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2003, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
AL-CO-HOL (n.) An essential for survival when in a closed space for extended time with the same damn people.
Oh don't worry, I have plenty of that.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
In Israel, "the threat is always there in the air," said Evans, who recently visited there. But, he said, "the majority of the population just have adjusted to it. They don't overly worry about it. I think we're going to have to reach the same type of level, because I believe that terrorism is going to be with us for a long time."
That's true, but the Israelis are still a lot more prepared for chemical/biological attacks than Americans are. They have sealed safe rooms in their homes and the government hands out gas masks. At some point, Americans may realize that these steps are necessary preparation as well.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
That's true, but the Israelis are still a lot more prepared for chemical/biological attacks than Americans...At some point, Americans may realize that these steps are necessary preparation as well.
Or we can support our President and the pre-emptive destruction of such fanatical skum.

People, APPEASEMENT WILL NOT WORK. No anger management class or psychotherapy is ever going to change these people's minds. They despise everything about us - our freedom, our tolerance, women's equality, our non-Islamic religions, and they have dedicated their lives to seeking the death of our civilians, as innocent as they may be.

"Why are they mad at us...maybe we can ask them, and talk to them about their troubles" . Bullcrap.

The only way to preserve our peace and freedom is to rid the earth of those who have the means and desire to destroy it.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
The only way to preserve our peace and freedom is to rid the earth of those who have the means and desire to destroy it.
Hitler... is that you?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Hitler... is that you?
No, it's not. If you look at the whole post, you can see my board name (spacefreak). Read the FAQs, they'll tell you more about it.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2003, 08:19 PM

Or we can support our President and the pre-emptive destruction of such fanatical skum.

People, APPEASEMENT WILL NOT WORK. No anger management class or psychotherapy is ever going to change these people's minds. They despise everything about us - our freedom, our tolerance, women's equality, our non-Islamic religions, and they have dedicated their lives to seeking the death of our civilians, as innocent as they may be.

"Why are they mad at us...maybe we can ask them, and talk to them about their troubles" . Bullcrap.

You forgot to pack a penis and some balls.

Define "they".

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 09:02 PM

DBGFHRGL!

chip-douglas
Banned
Feb 12, 2003, 09:28 PM

Who came up with the color scheme for the different threat levels?
Green -> Blue -> Yellow -> Orange -> Red
That goes against all conventions except stoplights. Weather maps, topography, the color wheel, etc. all go

Blue -> Green -> Yellow -> Orange -> Red

Not that they will ever lower it below yellow, but I can't take a system seriously that a preschooler with fingerpaints could have done a better job on.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
You forgot to pack a penis and some balls. Define "they".
I am well-hung, but thanks for your concerns. There are other sites for that type of thing, if that's what your after.

I defined "they" in the post above.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2003, 01:13 AM

YOU CAN'T JUST ATTACK AND DESTROY A DECENTRALIZED GROUP OF FANATICS WHOSE RALLYING POINT IS HATRED OF YOU. Attempting to do so just makes them seem more justified, and since they don't have any sort of central command post it's impossible to take them all out at once. Massacring small fragments of the group will just encourage other people to see it their way since you'll be doing exactly what they say you do and you'll just end up making the problem worse.

I don't pretend to know what would be a good solution to the problem, but I really don't think yours will work.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 01:29 AM

The War on Terrorism is like the War on Drugs. You cannot win.

shanraghan
Senior User
Feb 13, 2003, 02:13 AM

Okay... every so often, terrorists hit a big target. It happens every few years. And now we're acting like they're going to carpet-bomb the whole freakin' United States. I can't tell whether or not this is really Osama's best time to strike us, or if Bush is taking advantage of this to justify the war. I sincerely think that these do-it-yourself precautions will have little to no effect. The probability any single residential area would be hit is incredibly small, and locking yourself into your home isn't necessarily going to help you.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

sweet1
Feb 13, 2003, 02:55 AM

Use the duct tape over the mouths of fear-mongerers (is this a real word?). If you were enlightened enough to see Michael Moore's film, Bowling for Columbine, FEAR was exactly the point. Go out and rent the movie, at least, before you've sealed yourself in plastic.

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 13, 2003, 03:20 AM

Fear-Mongers, I like that.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2003, 07:13 AM

Is there anything it can't do?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

spacefreak  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 13, 2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
YOU CAN'T JUST ATTACK AND DESTROY A DECENTRALIZED GROUP OF FANATICS WHOSE RALLYING POINT IS HATRED OF YOU. Attempting to do so just makes them seem more justified, and since they don't have any sort of central command post it's impossible to take them all out at once. Massacring small fragments of the group will just encourage other people to see it their way since you'll be doing exactly what they say you do and you'll just end up making the problem worse.

I don't pretend to know what would be a good solution to the problem, but I really don't think yours will work.
See: 9/11/2001 U.S. Cities attacked, Thousands killed

Historically, in war, the goal is to defeat the enemy.

Appeasement has never worked in the world. NEVER. Your argument sickens me, and I hope you are not a voting US citizen.

You are fundamentally saying "I think Iraq has the right to provide a safe-haven for criminal organizers, and I will respect their sovereignty, and I support their decision not to turn over those responsible for the planning of terror attacks against the US." or "I support Saddam Hussein's providing of the housing, financial infrastructure, and communications ability to those seeking to destroy our freedom."

"I want my son to grow up in a society under constant threat, and will encourage that threat by treating it delicately."

So take your anti-war stance and go become a human shield, because you obviously have no concern over the well-being of our citizens. Appeasement, acceptance, and anger-management classes will not solve our security problems.

Maybe you should ask yourself, "Why do I feel that the US should allow enemies to plot the death of my neighbors, and to finance and build development of smaller, stronger, more efficient weapons that better kill my friends and family?"

My solution is the only solution. That's why you can't come up with a solution, because there is only one.

climber
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 02:46 PM

Iraq has shown with its historical actions to be a real threat to the Middle East. US interests as well as the world in general. That fact was made plainly obvious when they invaded Kuwait and tried to seize control of the oil there.

Why do people continue to deny the obvious, and that given the chance Saddam will rebuild Iraqs weapons and military programs. He has no choice; because that is the only way he can remain in power.

Personally I don't want to allow Iraq with its current leadership to use the money from their oil to fund the reconstruction of their weapons programs or purchase of a small nuclear weapon. (Think what could be purchased with a billion dollars worth of oil.)
climber

imafreak
Feb 13, 2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by anarkisst:
"Duck and Cover" from the Commie Nuclear Threat!

I remember doing this in elementary school. Guess they should bring it back as "Duct Tape and Cover"...

What an insane World it is, eh?
and don't forget to eat 4 servings of meat everyday!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The same goes for the so-called "dirty bomb"; such a device actually wouldn't be likely to kill anyone, as the radiation released would be about equivalent to a chest x-ray, and that's when the bomb is at its strongest. Within five minutes, you catch no more radiation than you would by standing in direct sunlight for an hour or so.
There was a good BBC Programe about the entire 'Dirty Bomb' thing last week.
The Danger isn't from a huge Instant dose at the point of explosion, It's more of a long term thing. If you detonate a not even very large bomb, a small van for instance. This would be enough to increase the radiation in a large surounding area (tiny radioactive particals will get caried by the heat of the initial blast, then by the wind) by enough to drematicaly increase the likely hood of dying of cancer by a huge amount.
Example: Remember how long ago it was that Chenobil(sp?) hapened. There are STILL areas here in the uk that can't be used for grazing sheap on because the radiation lavels are still too high for the animals to be there all the time. It's ok to walk there now and again but it's the continuous exposure that's dangerous.
Imagine a huge area of a City with this sort of problem.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2003, 08:11 PM

Appeasement has never worked in the world. NEVER. Your argument sickens me, and I hope you are not a voting US citizen.

You are fundamentally saying "I think Iraq has the right to provide a safe-haven for criminal organizers, and I will respect their sovereignty, and I support their decision not to turn over those responsible for the planning of terror attacks against the US." or "I support Saddam Hussein's providing of the housing, financial infrastructure, and communications ability to those seeking to destroy our freedom."

"I want my son to grow up in a society under constant threat, and will encourage that threat by treating it delicately."

So take your anti-war stance and go become a human shield, because you obviously have no concern over the well-being of our citizens. Appeasement, acceptance, and anger-management classes will not solve our security problems.

Maybe you should ask yourself, "Why do I feel that the US should allow enemies to plot the death of my neighbors, and to finance and build development of smaller, stronger, more efficient weapons that better kill my friends and family?"

My solution is the only solution. That's why you can't come up with a solution, because there is only one.
http://www.aynrand.org/medialink/pea...rmongers.shtml

"The absence of a peacenik peace plan is no accident. Pacifism is inherently a negative doctrine�it merely says that military action is always bad. As one San Francisco protestor put the point: "I don't think it's right for our government to kill people." In practice, this leaves the government only two means of dealing with our enemies: to ignore their acts of aggression, or to appease them by capitulating to the aggressor's demands.
We do not need to predict or deduce the consequences of pacifism with regard to terrorism and the nations that sponsor it, because we experienced those consequences on September 11. Pacifism practically dictated the American response to terrorism for more than 23 years, beginning with our government's response to the first major act of Islamic terrorism against this country: when Iranian mobs held 52 Americans hostage for 444 days at the American embassy in Tehran. In response to that and later terrorist atrocities, American Presidents sought to avoid military action at all costs�by treating terrorists as isolated criminals and thereby ignoring the role of the governments that support them, or by offering diplomatic handouts to terrorist states in hopes that they would want to be our friends. With each pacifist response it became clearer that the most powerful nation on Earth was a paper tiger�and our enemies made the most of it."
DBGFHRGL!

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2003, 03:45 PM

You're not in the market for a bridge, are you?

A key piece of the information leading to recent terror alerts was fabricated, according to two senior law enforcement officials in Washington and New York. ABC news
Honestly, if you ever have the misfortune of receiving reliable information, you will most likely already be dead.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2003, 04:01 PM

OMG!! What are you people still doing here????

There's no time to pay attention to the actions of your government or criticize their policies!! Stop reading the news or investigating the facts!!

For the love of all that's good and star-spangled, run to Home Depot and get your Official Biological Agent Resistant duct tape and plastic sheeting!! Hurry and buy a new car to get America rolling again!!

What are you waiting for?? You can't think and shop at the same time, dammitt!!

You will be notified when it is safe to start thinking for yourselves again, now RUUUUUUUUN!!
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 04:23 PM

Funny that the same people who want to "protect our freedom" by bombing Iraq are the same people who tell those who disagree with them they are unpatriotic and anti-American.

Ahem.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by thunderous_funker:
OMG!! What are you people still doing here????

There's no time to pay attention to the actions of your government or criticize their policies!! Stop reading the news or investigating the facts!!

For the love of all that's good and star-spangled, run to Home Depot and get your Official Biological Agent Resistant duct tape and plastic sheeting!! Hurry and buy a new car to get America rolling again!!

What are you waiting for?? You can't think and shop at the same time, dammitt!!

You will be notified when it is safe to start thinking for yourselves again, now RUUUUUUUUN!!

Oh, the nerve GM had to suggest it would "keep America rolling." More like, "keep America in the breakdown lane."

Nicko
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 04:32 PM

If you are a free thinker you are with the terrorists!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2003, 04:37 PM

Yeah, I remember. I was woken up by the news report.

Right, but you cannot defeat a terrorist organization through war. Unless they're really stupid terrorists (which Al-Queada is not, from what I've seen) it just won't work.

Well tough, I am a voting US citizen. I never suggested appeasement, I'm just saying that war, whether justifiable or not, will not solve the problem. If opposing viewpoints based in fact and history sicken you, then you should probably avoid real life.

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. Try actually reading my post.

Good for you?

Given the nature of the problems, war isnt' going to solve them either.

Because the US has no right to say what people in other countries are allowed to think.

Your solution is not a solution. It's just going to make the problem worse. If there is no other option then I guess we're pretty ****ed aren't we?

Forum Links
Forum Rules