Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari and FTP

Safari and FTP
renpar61
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2003, 11:10 AM

Maybe this is a known problem but I've noticed it for the first time a few days ago. If you try to access a FTP with Safari, it starts opening an endless number of blank pages without loading the ftp site.
Do I have some wrong settings or is it a bug?

Vanquish
Apr 4, 2003, 11:30 AM

look at your destop

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 4, 2003, 11:33 AM

Cheryl called me and asked me this question as well. She had 8 little icons on her desktop. She was logged in 8 times.

renpar61  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2003, 12:33 PM

I can't even access my desktop, Safari keeps opening windows at a blazing speed and every time I switch to the Finder it takes me right back to the new Safari window. There has to be something wrong.

renpar61  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 4, 2003, 12:59 PM

Found the problem and solved it!
I have "More Internet" PrefPane, and Safari was selected as the application to handle ftp. Wrong! Since Safari mounts ftp sites on the desktop, the Finder needs to handle ftp. Switched it in the Preferences and everything works fine now.

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2003, 10:13 PM

I installed Safari 1.0 over v73 public beta. It remains my default browser. Whenever I clicked on a link with href=ftp://... Safari opened OmniWeb 4.1 - an artifact in Launch Services that I guess OmniWeb left behind when I was using it as my default browser ? (which hasn't been for months.)

I cleared the entire FTP block from com.apple.LaunchServices.plist with the Terminal, and evidently OS X put the Finder default back in as I hoped, because FTP now mounts on the desktop. Problem solved.

Odd that this would just show up today, unless Safari 1.0 now consults launch services in some new way v73 didn't. (Based on the start of this thread, it's been doing so for months. I must have DLed some files in the last couple of months, even though most DLs I get (e.g. Audible.com and Version Tracker) start DLs from alternative encodings.

Forum Links
Forum Rules