Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > LaCie HD question

LaCie HD question
Vanquish
Apr 6, 2003, 11:40 AM

are these noisy ? I'm asking this because I have a LaCie external FireWire CD-RW and it is *loud*.

-thanks

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2003, 06:47 PM

I have an older Lacie HD, and I just simply went in and disconnected the fan, set the OS to sleep the drive after a few minutes, and it's as silent as a bird, except in use. . .
Voids warranty though - I'm pretty sure someone would have figured it out by now at Lacie that the noise is a big problem.
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

sensorfreaky
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2003, 07:35 PM

The new LaCie D2 cases are much quieter than their previous HD's. I have the 120gig and 200gig versions and the only noises you hear are the typical drive access sounds you hear from any hard drive... very subtle clicks and stuff. As for the fan noise, I didn't even know it had one. When not accessing, the drive is next to silent. I also have an Acomdata and a Maxtor and those are much noisier by comparison.

Vanquish  (op)
Apr 7, 2003, 09:04 AM

k thanks for the comments

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 11:57 AM

damn I want my old one replaced by a new one, this thing is so noisy!
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

dagonjames
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2003, 05:15 PM

I just purchased a LaCie 80 gig Hard drive and it is dead silent. It only makes a very slight sound when it powers up.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 01:37 AM

My LaCie d2 FireWire HD is vewy vewy qwiet.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 04:30 PM

I have one of the 80 GB (not really 80GB, BTW) models and I find it to be pretty quiet.

craigthomas
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2003, 06:53 PM

Man, after reading the 1st couple of posts I was ready to cancel my back-ordered 200GB DB2 Firewire. I've been on the fence between that and an internal Western Digital 200GB drive. Now I am again looking forward to getting my big, nice and quiet external LaCie drive to archive all those video clips from iMovie.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2003, 08:09 PM

I have the 200GB drive. Very quite indeed. There's no fan in the metal case hence the small external power adapter. The optional foot to position the drive vertically is perfect.

All in all a nice drive.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by milhaus:
I have an older Lacie HD, and I just simply went in and disconnected the fan, set the OS to sleep the drive after a few minutes, and it's as silent as a bird, except in use. . .
Voids warranty though - I'm pretty sure someone would have figured it out by now at Lacie that the noise is a big problem.
Would you know how long the warranty is on their CD-RW drives? I want to take mine apart, but I can't find out how long the warrenty is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules