Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes... gotta love it with my Rio500

iTunes... gotta love it with my Rio500
djjava
Senior User
Apr 6, 2003, 10:16 PM

A true example why my new PB is world's better than my PC....

I own a Diamond Rio 500 mp3 player. it's 4 years old. Diamond (now S3, or Sonic Blue, whatever it is now) has long since stopped supporting this mp3 player. They started to really pump the newer mp3 players. Their own software would not support drap-and-drop copying on the "old" Rio500. Only on the newer models with a certain technology would be supported for such an action. HOWEVER... much to my surprise, not only did iTunes successfully locate my Rio500... it allowed my to drag-and-drop my mp3s from my library right onto the player!

What does Apple know that make their stuff work so damn good?

gotta love iTunes.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2003, 10:46 PM

Apple the one company that does not feel the need to grab your balls and squeeze.

mishap
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
Apple the one company that does not feel the need to grab your balls and squeeze.
really?

well.. actually i used my Rio 500 back in the iTunes 1.0 days... so i dont see why they would stop supporting it. If iTunes 1.0 came out this year...i doubt it would support the player.

good for you tho...
( Last edited by mishap; Apr 7, 2003 at 12:13 PM. )

Vanquish
Apr 7, 2003, 12:24 PM

I can't even remeber iTunes 1.

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
I can't even remeber iTunes 1.
me previous memory of Mac OS is 7.5. I ahd a 5 year long stint without an apple. I dind't evnethink that a revious version of iTunes would support it. but, in any case... my point still stands that Apple can do soemthing that "proprietary" software can't do. Even tho my Rio500 (whihc i thinkis superior to other models that followed) is old, and I would love to upgrade to the iPod, my powerbook and the $1100 I owe the government stops me dead in my tracks towards buying an iPod.

Oh well.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 02:15 PM

Is there any chance I could get my old USB mp3 player working with OS X? It has no software, works by mounting as a PC HD in OS 9 but won't mount in X.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2003, 03:53 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
Diamond (now S3, or Sonic Blue, whatever it is now)
Bankrupt?

Seriously, though, congratulations on your success with your Rio 500. My Rio 600 works pretty well with iTunes.
( Last edited by Anomalous; Apr 7, 2003 at 04:05 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules