Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anybody Listen To Jazz?

Anybody Listen To Jazz?
j45degrees
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 01:01 PM

I got introduced to Jazz music awhile ago by someone that knew a bit about jazz history. I started listening to some artists that he recommended. Jazz, like rock music, has its good and bad stuff. I'd like to find a good Jazz message board to ask some questions. Anybody know of any?

Vanquish
Apr 7, 2003, 01:10 PM

I'm new to the jazz scene, I have exactly the same question. Jazz is wonderfull, everybody should be open to it.

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Vanquish:
I'm new to the jazz scene, I have exactly the same question. Jazz is wonderfull, everybody should be open to it.
I wouldn't have said anything, and kept my big mouth shut, if you hadn't said "everybody."

Now I have to open my big mouth.

I think it's not about being open to it, it's about making the intellectual investment for something that comes down to a matter of taste, ie "the scene." Except for the pop stuff, most instrumental Jazz (from Bebop to now) can't be fully appreciated without understanding what the musicians are doing differently or what is unique. In that way, it discourages casual listening to novices. And everyone has to ask themselves: will the investment be worth it? Some people like the "scene", to others (even with more than half a brain and schooled musicians) the scene is just ridiculous and not worth it.

I could argue that everyone should be open to 13th century Italian choral works, or Japanese Noh theatre, but the truth is that even if you are open to it, it's not gonna be palatable to everyone, or not worth it.

That's one of the reasons I don't enjoy Jazz much. I've been putting in the effort, but I just don't feel at home. I have lots of other equallly moody and colorful stuff to listen to that has great musicianship, and it's not embarassing to me that alot of it involves electric guitars and old issues of Alternative Press...

as for a jazzers' messageboard...
( Last edited by AB^2=BCxAC; Apr 7, 2003 at 01:36 PM. )
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 01:43 PM

I dig Noh.
I also dig Jazz. Mingus. Ah Um.
As for the 13th century Italian, well, better that than trancing out to monophonic chant. But I'm for a jig or a tale of bawdry... gotta grove on those viol accompanied Elizabethan bar tunes.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

j45degrees  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 7, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by AB^2=BCxAC:
[B for a jazzers' messageboard... [/B]
Thanks for the link.

I have a very talented brother that played keyboards professionally in a band for a few years. He tells me that he doesn't "get" jazz. That's OK,

I have found some jazz that I really enjoy. I started with what might be considered classic jazz. I would like to become more familiar with what's going on now.

snerdini
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 02:58 PM

Vanquish
Apr 7, 2003, 03:47 PM

I love it when people make good points.

Lerkfish
Apr 7, 2003, 03:48 PM

coltrane
Davis
Ellington
Heath Bros.
Brubeck
Charlie Brown.

Vanquish
Apr 7, 2003, 03:54 PM

By AB^2=BCxAC:
I wouldn't have said anything, and kept my big mouth shut, if you hadn't said "everybody."

Now I have to open my big mouth.

I think it's not about being open to it, it's about making the intellectual investment for something that comes down to a matter of taste, ie "the scene." Except for the pop stuff, most instrumental Jazz (from Bebop to now) can't be fully appreciated without understanding what the musicians are doing differently or what is unique. In that way, it discourages casual listening to novices. And everyone has to ask themselves: will the investment be worth it? Some people like the "scene", to others (even with more than half a brain and schooled musicians) the scene is just ridiculous and not worth it.

I could argue that everyone should be open to 13th century Italian choral works, or Japanese Noh theatre, but the truth is that even if you are open to it, it's not gonna be palatable to everyone, or not worth it.

That's one of the reasons I don't enjoy Jazz much. I've been putting in the effort, but I just don't feel at home. I have lots of other equallly moody and colorful stuff to listen to that has great musicianship, and it's not embarassing to me that alot of it involves electric guitars and old issues of Alternative Press...
What I meant was, I hate people who say: "Nooo, I don't like jazz, it sucks." But they never actually listened to it, it's the same with a lot of classical music. You need to listen to it first. That's all.

snerdini
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
Charlie Brown.
Are you talking about The Vincent Guaraldi Trio? I love their stuff...very nostalgic for me.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 05:09 PM

Look into these artists for good stuff (may I suggest listening to smoothjazz.com radio too?!?!)

Bona Fide (a group, they've got some GOOD stuff)

Chuck Loeb (smooth but exciting at times)

Marc Antoine (lots of guitar... can be good)

Grover Washington Jr (some good stuff)

Kim Waters (look for in the house.. AWESOME song)

Shilts (Your place or mine .... very hard song to find)

Diana Krall (I like her vocals... it's mostly modern frank sinatra with a female voice)

Boney James

Bob James (good long music)

Acoustic Alchemy (Always good guitar stuff)

Jeff Kashiwa (look up hyde park... that is good)

Norman Brown (There are a few good ones)

Richard Elliot (hrmmmm)

Rick Braun (there are a few good ones)

Urban Knights (much like jeff kashiwa)

Stevie Wonder/George Benson (good older vocals)

There is A LOT of good jazz around The modern stuff is best.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2003, 06:16 PM

I find that the jazz I like is more like rock (my first love). My tiny jazz collection includes the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jim Pepper, and some of the music of the Pentangle.
And that's about it.
Am I a cultural barbarian?
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by malvolio:
I find that the jazz I like is more like rock (my first love). My tiny jazz collection includes the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Jim Pepper, and some of the music of the Pentangle.
And that's about it.
Am I a cultural barbarian?
Wow, another Pentangle fan. I love them (the original iteration, that is), have seen them live, have just about every album Bert Jansch ever made. One of the three most sublime concert experiences I've ever had was seeing Jansch and Renbourn together in a small club. I got to shake Bert's hand, a real honor for me.

John McGlaughlin - another hero of mine. My favorite stuff is his work with Miles.
( Last edited by zigzag; Apr 7, 2003 at 11:19 PM. )

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2003, 08:44 PM

Coltrane
Ahmad Jamal
Cycrus Chestnut
Diana Krall (one of my current favorites)
Herbie Hancock
Lou Donaldson
Ornette Coleman

I don't have a lot of Jazz in my collection, but I'm adding more Jazz than any other genre lately.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Lerkfish
Apr 7, 2003, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by snerdini:
Are you talking about The Vincent Guaraldi Trio? I love their stuff...very nostalgic for me.
yes, and additionally, Cyrus chestnut's version of charlie Brown christmas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules