Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > $400 to spend... monitor suggestions, anyone?

$400 to spend... monitor suggestions, anyone?
JamesKass
Apr 3, 2003, 05:52 PM

I'm planning on getting me a dual processor G4, but that won't leave me much left over for an apple monitor. Can anyone recommend a decent monitor in the $400.00 price range?

I'm going to be using it primarily for web & graphic design (but nothing that needs ultraprecise color matching), as well as digital video editing.

Any suggestions would be swell!

James Kass
http://my8by10.com

vasu
Senior User
Apr 3, 2003, 08:24 PM

I got a refurbished Lacie 19" Electron Blue III for $269 back in August, not sure if they still offer those.

Youc an get a Viewsonic 19" Flat CRT for around the same price (refurbished) or new for not too much more.

If you go to www.dealmac.com and search, you might be able to find a 17" LCD panel for $400 or slightly less. I think you can get a Dell LCD for around that much and those are pretty good as long as you are using the DVI output and not VGA.

-vasu

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2003, 11:33 PM

For $499 (for a limited time) you can get the Formac Gallery 1740, which is a great monitor. 17.4" TFT LCD digital ADC display with a great contrast ratio, brightness, pixel response rate, and viewing angle.

DrBoar
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 09:23 AM

Unless you need larger resolution than the TFTs offer I would go for a decent TFT. Samsung and others have some nice ones.

I do think that the actual picture quality of a 19" CRT for 400 dollars is better than that of a 400 dollar TFT. But at least for me, I really like to not have that gigantic box on my desk, and no flicker what so ever on the screen...

Leonis
Senior User
Apr 4, 2003, 04:17 PM

Give it to me
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

JamesKass  (op)
Apr 19, 2003, 02:01 AM

After a bit of research, I've deceided on the CT1702T. It's a 17 inch TFT. I got a decent price in an ebay auction. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
James Kass (no, the other one...)
[email protected]
http://NYComedyRadio.com :)

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2003, 09:55 AM

Got in a bit too late here, but congrats on finding a display you like, and best of luck w/ it and your new Mac!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2003, 02:38 AM

in my opinion, you just can't beat a sony g420 19" crt. a review is available here.

i love mine, amazing image quality.

edit: oops, too late

Forum Links
Forum Rules