Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Upgrade Beige G3 to 10.2 - Worth it?

Upgrade Beige G3 to 10.2 - Worth it?
topcat
Apr 24, 2003, 10:35 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading an old Beige G3 (233 MHz desktop model) to Jaguar. I'm wondering if the performance will be reasonable, or will it be too sluggish?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by topcat:
I'm thinking of upgrading an old Beige G3 (233 MHz desktop model) to Jaguar. I'm wondering if the performance will be reasonable, or will it be too sluggish?
You can do what you want of course, but at 233 it will be too slugish. If you get >500 megs of ram (if it will take it) it might be ok for internet browsing and e-mail. I'm on a G3400 @ 768ram and its ok but not a speed demon mind you.
I think your best bet is to stick with OS9.
Thats my 2 cents...
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

ibobunot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 10:57 AM

I wouldn't do it.
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 24, 2003, 12:15 PM

Same computer with 380 RAM and for email, word, iPhoto and iTunes it runs everything amazingly well. It doesn't feel that much slower then my white iBook 500MHz.

Do it.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

derekn
Senior User
Apr 24, 2003, 01:11 PM

For the short time I had Jag on mine, it was VERY nice. G4/533, 768MB of RAM, Radeon PCI, USB/FW PCI card.

Mine kept locking up after a few hours of running, not sure why exactly. But if you can get it to run on there, go for it, it's speed advantage over 10.1.x is pretty damn good.

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2003, 06:22 PM

Running a Purple 266Mhz in 10.2 back at home my sister refuses to go back to 9.

But she does not play games or any graphically intensive stuff. But she does use Painter and a wacom tablet.

So overall as long as you know what to expect it's great. (Oh and lots of RAM always helps)

cms7912
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 11:09 PM

I'm running the exact same hardware with 10.2 as a low-traffic webserver for my personal site. I do quite a bit of PHP and it slices through it just fine except for heavy-working loops. With a USB card it also serves as my backup to an external hard drive. It works beautifully.

For user interface though, snappiness is not a word that I'd consider using.

tyson.r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2003, 06:57 AM

I run 10.2 on a 233. I tweeked it quite a bit with 3rd party apps and the terminal (window zoom is gone, no dock effects, no window shadows). I say go for it if you have the ram. I will never go back to 9

suprz's ghost
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2003, 07:11 AM

my friend is running jag on my old beige G3 300mhz he overclocked it to 375mhz (or something) and maxed out the ram and it runs just fine! with your machine, i would definitely look into overclocking it (it's VERY easy to do, go to www.xlr8yourmac.com ) and then max out the ram
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"...Albert Einstein

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2003, 11:28 AM

I run 10.2 on a 333MHz G3 minitower at home (my parents do, actually), and they love it. No more crashing, and everything is snappy enough for them. In fact... I hate to say it, but I find it just as nice to work on as my iBook 500 as well. But then graphic design stuff is easier on a 19" screen than a 12" LCD.

Do it!

Forum Links
Forum Rules