Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems with the terminal (and fink?)

Problems with the terminal (and fink?)
allap
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2003, 12:49 AM

Everytime I open the terminal application it automatically tries to install BitchX through Fink. I don't know why it's still doing this, but can anyone think of a way to make it stop? It's getting really annoying.

This is what it shows when i start it up:

Last login: Sun Jul 6 11:50:16 on console
/sw/bin/fink install bitchx
Welcome to Darwin!
/Users/allap/.cshrc: No such file or directory.
[h**-**-**-***:~] allap% /sw/bin/fink install bitchx
sudo /sw/bin/fink install bitchx
^CPassword:

Ludovic Hirlimann
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2003, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by allap:
Everytime I open the terminal application it automatically tries to install BitchX through Fink. I don't know why it's still doing this, but can anyone think of a way to make it stop? It's getting really annoying.

This is what it shows when i start it up:

Last login: Sun Jul 6 11:50:16 on console
/sw/bin/fink install bitchx
Welcome to Darwin!
/Users/allap/.cshrc: No such file or directory.
[h**-**-**-***:~] allap% /sw/bin/fink install bitchx
sudo /sw/bin/fink install bitchx
^CPassword:
Someone messed up your tcsh configuration. Take the time to check the system wide cshrc (which has of now, I can't remember where it is in the file system). You might need to edit it.

If someone edited this file this means some people might be using your machine without your knowledge. I would check to see what processes are running on the machine, I would back up my data and do a reinstall.

suthercd
Senior User
Jul 9, 2003, 11:09 AM

cshrc.csh is located in /private/etc and should not be changed. Mine has a Oct. 24 date. In your home directory look for .login, .cshrc, and as mentioned .tcshrc.

Look for paths to commands you do not recognize as well as lines relating to bitchx. There may be a line similar to source /sw/bin/csh that was put there to facilitate fink. Look at the /sw/bin.csh file and see if there is a command starting bitchx.

HTH
Craig

Gary Kerbaugh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2003, 12:54 AM

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This is a relative common problem with Apple's Terminal. In your Terminal preferences file, ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist, there is key called ExecutionString. A bug (or poor programming choice) occasionally causes that to be set automatically. Yours doubtless has the "fink install bitchx" command in the <string> entry immediately below that key. If you erase that, things will return to normal. Alternatively, you can simply trash the preferences file and the terminal will create a new one without an ExecutionString value. You may have to reset some preferences but the Terminal doesn't have that many.
Gary
A computer scientist is someone who, when told to "Go to Hell", sees the
"go to", rather than the destination, as harmful.

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Gary Kerbaugh:
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;This is a relative common problem with Apple's Terminal. In your Terminal preferences file, ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist, there is key called ExecutionString. A bug (or poor programming choice) occasionally causes that to be set automatically. Yours doubtless has the "fink install bitchx" command in the <string> entry immediately below that key. If you erase that, things will return to normal. Alternatively, you can simply trash the preferences file and the terminal will create a new one without an ExecutionString value. You may have to reset some preferences but the Terminal doesn't have that many.

thank you so much i couldnt find a fix for this till now, for me it seemed to happen after i used fink to install kde.

is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

suthercd
Senior User
Jul 17, 2003, 09:37 AM

Without knowing more about the fink apps you have installed and when the problem appeared, there is no answer. kde did not install bitchx, and from your report the problem is bitchx related.

Craig

Forum Links
Forum Rules