Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Analysts have it all wrong w/ Windoze iTunes

Analysts have it all wrong w/ Windoze iTunes
poulh
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 01:47 PM

All I hear is that Apple is late to the market with the Windows version of iTunes. How MusicMatch, BuyMusic, and Napster are already in the field and how Amazon, Dell, etc are coming soon.

However they always mention that Apple's version has been a big hit and they NEVER mention that the services already out there are a hit.

hmmmmmm Maybe that is because the Windows users are waiting for iTunes!!!! It seems so obvious that that is what is going on, yet you never hear anyone say that.

Are the analysts/reporters who write these articles that dumb or do they just not get it?

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 02:05 PM

I think Apple's edge over the competition is (just like with most mac items), is the great inegration of all or most of the pieces becuase they make them. iTunes software, Music Store service, iPod MP3 player. Analysts look at the numbers (dates, share, price)... but the thing that makes success in this particular area is ease of use and integration. Apple rules in that dept.

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 02:12 PM

I'm lazy and can't find the direct quote but one reviewer ended up pointing out the cons of the iTunes music store and he wrote something to the effect of "In the end, the iTunes Music Store is just a destination, while the others give you a music experience."

A music experience? Give me a break. If I want a music experience I'm going to go to a concert or take some acid and listen to some really loud music, I'm not going to go to some website for an experience.

I can see it now. Browsing BuyMusic.com and entering my credit card number, downloading the song....then LISTENING TO IT....Sorry i just had an orgasm. It was too much of an experience...

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 02:14 PM

Well I don't think Dell and Napster have even launched yet so they are not to worry about and buymusic.com is just crappy.

I think Apple stands a great chance of sucess if they offer as many songs as napster claims (sounds like they have the same deal with the big 5) and if they offer gift cards to capture the youth without credit card market.

Goldie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 02:25 PM

Musicmatch = 1 down ? to go. I just took a look at musicmatch and if itms windows is anything like the mac side I don't see how they stand a chance.

Sure I'm biased, but it had no compelling attributes whatsoever. To me it was another windows based 'non'-intuitive app. Something that caused me to leave windows in the first place. The only thing I liked that itms does not do is the ability to preview a song while searching.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 02:52 PM

BuyMusic is dead in the water. It has a terrible user experience, confusing rights management, and no player/jukebox integration. Napster (aka Pressplay), when it comes, won't allow you to rip your existing CDs. Um...hello? Some people may like it, but I think it will be hard to compete with the one stop shop that is iTunes.

Musicmatch is the only other contender at this point (Dell is just going to rebrand MusicMatch). but while it meets the feature checklist, I found it very difficult to use and understand. Maybe it's because I'm so used to iTunes, but I distinctly remember the first time I downloaded iTunes --- I was able to use it immediately with no problems.

Apple sold 1 million songs in its first week, to the supposed "3%" of the market that uses Macs. Nevermind that the Mac marketshare among consumers is probably much larger than that, I haven't heard MusicMatch announce any sales figures? Why is that? If their potential market is really thirty times as large as Apple's, you'd think they'd have sold 10 million tracks by now, let alone 1 million. I suspect their numbers aren't that good.

If iTunes for Windows is like iTunes for Mac, Apple will be the biggest fish in the pond by far.

kdogg73
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by nickm:
Apple sold 1 million songs in its first week, to the supposed "3%" of the market that uses Macs. ...
Nevermind the 3%. It's the smaller percentage of that 3% that actually have X with iTunes 4 and access to iTMS. Boggles the mind.

Have you seen my pants?

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by kdogg73:
Nevermind the 3%. It's the smaller percentage of that 3% that actually have X with iTunes 4 and access to iTMS. Boggles the mind.
Don't forget its still US only too.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2003, 04:12 PM

Who gives a flying fack what a bunch of analysts think? It's the consumers who will decide which is better. And I am willing to put down some big money that Apple will rule this area of commerce when the dust settles (as long as they continue to aggressively build on what they have so far). I wonder how many millions of people have been itching to get access to iTMS? Based on what I've seen so far, I think that number is high. I can't wait until it hits Windows, and then the foreign markets. I have a feeling these analysts will do a quick 180, as they always seem to do when predicting how successful Apple will be.

murk
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2003, 07:37 PM

One thing to keep in mind:

Steve Jobs says there is not a lot of money to be made in selling songs. The Wall Street Journal agrees. If it is your only business, I just don't see you lasting. For Apple, it will help sell iPods and maybe a few Macs.

allap
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2003, 07:58 PM

I believe itms won't be as well received on PC because i have no doubt many of the sales on the mac side were from devout apple enthusiasts who would do anything to see the company succeed. Obviously I have no proof to support my argument, you'll just have to take my word for it

benb
Oct 14, 2003, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by allap:
I believe itms won't be as well received on PC because i have no doubt many of the sales on the mac side were from devout apple enthusiasts who would do anything to see the company succeed. Obviously I have no proof to support my argument, you'll just have to take my word for it
I have many friends that would like to use it. Honestly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules