Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New camera: excellent movies or StitchAssist

View Poll Results: Which is more useful?
Poll Options:
Excellent movies (Sony) 2 votes (66.67%)
Stitch Assist mode (Canon) 1 votes (33.33%)
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll
New camera: excellent movies or StitchAssist
ajbaker
May 14, 2004, 11:47 AM

Here's my dilemma. I am going to buy a new digital camera and have narrowed my choice down to the Canon IXUS 500 or the Sony DSC-W1

Both are very similar cameras with identical reviews. There are a few pros and cons of each but the only one I am concerned about is this:

Which is more useful (hence sway my choice); the StitchAssist mode and software of the Canon or the excellent movies available from the Sony?

allap
Forum Regular
May 14, 2004, 11:53 AM

what the heck is stitch assist?

ajbaker  (op)
May 14, 2004, 12:21 PM

Stitch Assist on the camera shows you a small portion of the last photograph you took along with the preview of the one you are about to take. This enables you to line up the two in order to create a landscape/panorama on the computer.

Once on the computer, the Canon software recognises the two photos were taken with Stitch Assist and joins the 2 photos together. According the the reviews the software that does this is reasonably good.

Ironically I cannot find anything on the Canon sites about this! (Most manufacturer web sites are poor I've noticed regards cameras.)

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
May 14, 2004, 12:51 PM

Canon doesn't push it because it's not very good. It doesn't do little things like locking the aperature and shutter between takes. That, alone, makes the resulting photo look bad. It's better to opt for a wide angle lens when you need to cover more space.

That being said, I've used a movie mode in my Canon S50, about as much as I've used the stich assist. Neither are used very often, maybe 4 times each in about 7 months.

If the Sony has great video quality, and you can live with Memory Stick media, go for it.

jfinete
Forum Regular
May 15, 2004, 09:18 PM

I may be the exception, but I wish digital cameras didn't have these gimicky features like movie mode and stitching. The only time I "use" them is when I let someone to take a picture with my camera and they accidentally turn on one of these modes. When I get my camera back a few minutes later, I usually find my CF card half full of low resolution video.

ajbaker  (op)
May 16, 2004, 06:38 PM

jfinete - no I don't think you are in the minority. You strike me as someone keen on photography who knows how to capture a good image. Fortunately digital cameras give those without that knowledge a little more chance to capture a few well presented memories!

A salesman tried to sell me the Pentax S4 which has a bult in '3d' mode which you need tacky glasses to see the 3d image when its printed. Now thats gimicky!

Once I've had the camera for a few months I may be inclined to agree with you; but until then I simply don't know!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
May 16, 2004, 07:14 PM

Canon S500. I have the S400 and love it. GREAT little camera that does everything you need it to. Want video? Get a digital video camera.

Forum Links
Forum Rules