Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My Osx Will Not Start Up

My Osx Will Not Start Up
JDubb108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 08:37 PM

Last night while I was doing a software update on my ibook, it upgrade froze, so I force quit the app, and restarted my ibook. After restarting it wont start up in back in OSX again. I mean, it load the the same, but after it says "Loading MAC OSX", it would goto to blue screen, and just try to load, and it would fade to dark and light blue with the mouse pointer fading in and out of the screen as well. I have NO IDEA what to do, and what I did wrong. Im afraid all my applications are gone, because I have tons of schoolwork on my hard-drive that I need. With finals coming up, if I dont fix it, I 'd be doom'd. Anyone with help, please do. The battery is full and everything, so i know its not that. Also, I was running OSX tiger. Im going to try to bring it into genuis bar tomorrow, but its hard because of my schedule. IF ANYONE, can help me out, please let me know. I hoping all my files are still there....thanks a lot in advance.

Deicide
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2005, 10:10 PM

Boot of the install disc and do an archive install with preserve users and settings.

intervenetd2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2005, 11:12 PM

yeah i am having the same problem right now...only i dont have a Panther 10.3+ disk which is really givin me stress. I was trying to uninstall deepfreeze and i remember just disabling it instead of deleting the deepfreeze then i got rid of the root admin. I think that might be where i messed up but anyways i resetted and everythin loaded up an then i got to where i type my admin password.....i type it in and then it says "logging in" right after that u see the lil polar bear wit the x at the top right of the screen which means deepfreeze is off buuut it just stays at the blue screen and my mouse cursor is still there... the mouse can move and everything but thats all and it stays there. Before I found a 5 line script off this forum where you can get into the comp without even knowin the admin password I CANT FIND IT THOUGH. so if anyone knows the code plz tell me but i'm sorry you also have the same/identical problem that i do.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2005, 05:05 PM

Start up in Safe Mode .. this will run the "Repair Disk" utility.

Be sure the computer is turned off.
Now press the power button.
Just after you hear the startup tone (NOT BEFORE), press and hold down
the shift key.
Now release the shift key when you see the start up screen with the gray
background with the Apple logo and the progress indicator.
During the startup, you will see "Safe Boot" on the Mac OS X startup screen.

While in Safe Mode Repair Permissions
Close all open files and applications. Go to Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and double click it. Then select "Macintosh HD" in the left panel and First Aid at the top. Then click on "Repair Permissions."

To leave the Mac OS X Safe Mode just restart your Mac normally, without
holding any keys during the startup period.
Tiger 10.4.8

Watson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 12, 2005, 11:06 PM

Here is my take, and you will not need an installation CD.

First, startup into single user mode by holding down apple-s at the startup chime.

The screen will change to a DOS-like black background with white text.

type: mount -uw /
cd /Library/Receipts
ls

You should now see a list of installed updates, etc.

Try to remember the updates that were being installed. Was it a security update?
If you got burned updating Security Update 2005-007, for example, then you would type the following:

rm SecUpd2005-007Ti.pkg

You additionally might want to take the opportunity to make a backup of your login profile preferences:

su <yourusername>
cd
mv /Users/<yourusername>/Library/Preferences/ByHost /Users/<yourusername>/Library/Preferences/ByHostBak

Now type:
shutdown now

Restart your system when everything halts.

If you are now able to log in and boot up fine, then you should perform the updates again through the System Preferences application (under Software Updates->check now).

Then perform the repair permissions step as bergy suggested.

You will then probably want to navigate to the Finder, hit Shift-apple-U, doubleclick on Terminal, and then type:
mv ~/Library/Preferences/ByHostBak/ ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost
rm ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.*
( Last edited by Watson; Dec 12, 2005 at 11:36 PM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2005, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Watson
Here is my take, and you will not need an installation CD.

First, startup into single user mode by holding down apple-s at the startup chime.

The screen will change to a DOS-like black background with white text.

type: mount -uw /
cd /Library/Receipts
ls

You should now see a list of installed updates, etc.

Try to remember the updates that were being installed. Was it a security update?
If you got burned updating Security Update 2005-007, for example, then you would type the following:

rm SecUpd2005-007Ti.pkg

You additionally might want to take the opportunity to make a backup of your login profile preferences:

su <yourusername>
cd
mv /Users/<yourusername>/Library/Preferences/ByHost /Users/<yourusername>/Library/Preferences/ByHostBak

Now type:
shutdown now

Restart your system when everything halts.

If you are now able to log in and boot up fine, then you should perform the updates again through the System Preferences application (under Software Updates->check now).

Then perform the repair permissions step as bergy suggested.

You will then probably want to navigate to the Finder, hit Shift-apple-U, doubleclick on Terminal, and then type:
mv ~/Library/Preferences/ByHostBak/ ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost
rm ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver.*

um yeah, just use disk utility as mentioned before?
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Dec 13, 2005 at 09:02 AM. )

Watson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2005, 12:12 PM

The reason I suggested what I did is because a botched upgrade may leave traces in the Receipts folder that will prevent you from successfully performing that update a second time. Also, if your windowserver preferences get hosed, you may be unable to login until they are reset, which you can't do if you cant log in because the windowserver prefs are hosed... catch22.

intervenetd2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 05:18 PM

OK my delema is this :

I turn on the computer
it starts up and goes to the login sn
I loggin and it says "logging in" ((before the loggin screen didn't even show up it just went to a plain blue screen))
Then after i login , the desktop does load

that is where i am at now. I must have done something right because now i am able to get to the login screen and the Deep Freeze Polar bear icon no longer shows up. Still not sure where to go from here

Watson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2005, 08:23 PM

Could you tell us what steps you have taken so far? And your last post indicates that the Desktop "does load". Was that a typo, because you should be able to continue at this point, unless I am missing something.

btw, good luck on your finals, if they aren't over with yet...

intervenetd2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 08:05 PM

ok its like this
1. I press power to turn on the computer (but where it shows the apple with the grey screen, It's all distorted looking ...)
2. The diial circle thing below the apple logo turns clockwise
3. It then goes to the "mac OS X" loading sn with the chrome apple logo above it and loads
4. It goes to my login screen where I type my password and i login
5. it says logging in and then the box disappears and fails to load my desktop
6. It jus goes to the blue screen an you see my scroller and i can move it around, but nothin is ther eto click on, only a blue screen

I dunno if that gives u a better picture but i went to apple.com and i did everything they told me to do. I havn't put the Install disk in because i dont wanna loose all my stuff so if there is any other way to get to my desktop it would be chill but i know i messed up when i deleted the root an that might have done somethin huge.

Watson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2005, 08:28 PM

Please accept my apologies JDubb108... I wasn't paying attention to the fact that the thread had been hijacked

intervenetd2, your problem is not the same since you have Deep Freeze Mac installed. If you installed this software yourself, then you should contact http://www.faronics.com to get some support, because this is not a Mac OS X question.

Forum Links
Forum Rules