Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > MacNN Deals: Keep healthy and shop smarter with iOS gadgets

MacNN Deals: Keep healthy and shop smarter with iOS gadgets
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jun 29, 2015, 08:25 AM

Every day, alongside our regular Daily Deals post, we are showcasing some of the sales available on our own MacNN Deals. Today's trio of deals revolve around iOS and mobile devices, including a smart weighing scale, a way to keep track of your grocery shopping, and a pay-what-you-want bundle that could help you develop your own iOS apps.

The first item is the Vitasigns Smart Bluetooth Body Analyzer from Dastmalchi. The scales can be used to measure the user's weight, body fat, and BMI, which can be recorded and monitored over time using its companion app over Bluetooth. Normally priced at $180, it is on sale at $59 for the next four days.

The Hiku Mobile Shopping List is a small unit that also connects to a smartphone app, but for a very different purpose. Speaking into the unit adds items to the app's shopping list, with a barcode scanner able to add specific items without manually typing it into the list yourself. Working for up to two months on one charge and able to be stored on a fridge using its soft silicone rubber backing, the device usually sells for $79, but you can grab it for $59 over the next six days.

Our last item is actually a collection. The Pay What You Want: iOS Designer Bundle worth almost $1,300 is running for three more days, with ten percent of the proceeds going to Creative Commons. While a course on creating a cross-platform mobile app using Adobe PhoneGap will be available to all users, those paying more than the average will get extra collections of graphics and assets, and a design course for mobile app design.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2015, 02:14 PM

I was curious about the scale. $84 list price on Amazon selling for $80. So $59 is a good deal, but the $180 list price is simply a lie.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2015, 02:18 PM

The selling site has other issues. On first visit, they offer a 50% off first order for your email address. Signing up, it is actually 5%. This is pretty bad.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2015, 03:25 PM

No, that is incorrect. It was five percent, I just double-checked it. I'm afraid you simply misread it.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 29, 2015, 03:29 PM

Yticolev, I'll check with our deals partner on the 50%, but I haven't ever seen that. Only 5%. DO you have a cache or screenshot?

Re: scale. Original manufacturer lists it at $180. I do see the Amazon listing for the $84, though.

yticolev
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2015, 04:46 PM

No screenshot. I did see 50% in two different browsers and when I tried in a third to capture the offer with a screenshot, it did not load. I can get it to load now in private browsing mode, but it now says 5%. It certainly did say 50% earlier and was rather startling - I don't think I was mistaken to see it twice. A dialog box came up after supplying an email address showing 5% which was my first clue that it wasn't 50%. If something seems to good to be true...

Not interested anymore, even for half off. A careful reading of Amazon reviews shows a broken app necessary for viewing body fat percentage. I was expecting to see comments about inaccurate body fat as most such devices swing a good bit from reading to reading. That wouldn't have stopped me, but to not have the app work means it is no better than a regular scale at half the price or less.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jun 29, 2015, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
No screenshot. I did see 50% in two different browsers and when I tried in a third to capture the offer with a screenshot, it did not load. I can get it to load now in private browsing mode, but it now says 5%. It certainly did say 50% earlier and was rather startling - I don't think I was mistaken to see it twice. A dialog box came up after supplying an email address showing 5% which was my first clue that it wasn't 50%. If something seems to good to be true...

Not interested anymore, even for half off. A careful reading of Amazon reviews shows a broken app necessary for viewing body fat percentage. I was expecting to see comments about inaccurate body fat as most such devices swing a good bit from reading to reading. That wouldn't have stopped me, but to not have the app work means it is no better than a regular scale at half the price or less.
That's certainly fine. I'll ask of the deal partner if there was some sort of breakdown.

Forum Links
Forum Rules